Harry Potter

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm taking my daughter tomorrow to Harry Potter Studios London. I have a choice of lens but narrowed down to either 18-55mm kit lens or 50mm prime. I will want whatever is behind her to be in the shot so I'm thinking just take the kit lens but would taking the prime be a better option and use say f8 for most if not all pics? Any preference ?

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

The possible advantage of the prime (apart from the potential to hand hold in lower light) is that it'll make the camera's life easier with regard to AF. I would be tempted to have the kit lens fitted but take the 50mm in a pocket just in case the kit lens found AF difficult.

Just had a friend come back from there and said everything was hand-held, no tripods allowed; so something fast would be an asset...

We went there last Summer. I took a NEX 6 with the Sigma 30mm 2.8 and got some really nice pictures. Didn't use flash once! It's pretty dark in there and lots of mood lighting, fast prime and high iso would be ideal. Especially down Diagon Alley. The biggest problem you'll find there won't be your kit. It will be loads of tourists, obscuring your view/shot, with a bloody iPad or some other tablet to take their pictures on lol :D

So my NEX 6 with Sigma 30 2.8 was around 45mm in 1.5 crop? So 50mm 1.8 would do fine :)

I've been before and do recall it being dark in most places so the prime lens is probably best to allow most effective light coming in. Thanks peeps

Went there last year with my D800 and 24-120 VR F4. Spent most of the time at ISO3200 (it's quite dark) and wide open at F4, and at the 24-80 end of the focal length. An 18-24 range UW is good for the great hall as well as Diagon alley, but I also found the 120mm effective for portraits of the mannequins with the character costumes on.

Will my prime be better at say f5.6 to not blur a background vs a kit lens at the same aperture. I'm thinking of the construction of the lens itself what with less moving parts

In theory, the DoF at f/5.6 should be the same on both at the same focal length. In practice, the prime is likely to have nicer bokeh than the zoom. It's also likely to be a bit sharper since few lenses are at their sharpest when wide open. Since it sounds like tripods are a no-no there, maybe an alternative like The Pod could be used against any uprights or on top of barriers? Works a treat.

Back