Has anyone used a company called SRS Microsystems?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been thinking about purchasing a new lens from this website but i am a bit worried that they are quite a bit cheaper than most other sites. Has anyone used them before or know of anyone who has?

I used to deal with them many years ago at their shop in Watford, but that was for video games. But they are a legit and well established company if that's what is concerning you.

Interesting thread. I have had similar wonderings.

Useful to hear you have dealt with them in the past Fabs.

I used to deal with them many years ago at their shop in Watford, but that was for video games. But they are a legit and well established company if that's what is concerning you.

Thanks guys. I will take the plunge later when i get out the office.

I've spent more than i'd care to mention (in case the wife spots this thread) on Olympus lenses with them over the years.

They are a friendly company to deal with :)

They're my local camera shop in Watford and have bought a few bits and bobs from them in the past. Always had good service. HTH

Proberly the best Store to use if your an Olympus User bought plenty stuff in the past form SRS good company to deal with.

Thanks for the replies folks. The store has e-mailed me back and told me it wasn't the lens i was looking for. Very honest of them.

I would be interested in the reason as well, as would Chris the owner.
I have had penty of dealings with them as they are a Pentax Pro dealer so give an extra years warranty on my Pentax kit .. they give superb service.

My gripe is well documented elsewhere on TP, but basically they were taking the batteries out of Nikon factory refurbished cameras and swapping them for cheap Chinese ones and when this was pointed out to them their response was that it was Nikon who shipped out their cameras with the Chinese batteries, despite Nikon having a warning against using 3rd party batteries on their website.

I'm sure "Chris" will be well aware of the case, as they were reported to Nikon as a result of this.......

You may be happy to deal with them, but personally I find that sort of behaviour totally abhorrent.

You may be happy to deal with them, but personally I find that sort of behaviour totally abhorrent.

Thats interesting, personally I wouldn't be too happy with that either if true (and I'm not saying it isn't but not being there at the time gives me no right to say one way or the other), the majority of people that use them seem to have had no problems though.

Anyway, mute point now as lens was the wrong type anyway.

Please mind the doors, lift going down to the 1st floor, where we have the Shopping forum :)

We have lifts at TP?

Damn! I have been using the stairs all this time!! :D

There's another thread that was recently made about SRS, check that one out there was a good amount of replies there.

I've had a fairly good experience with SRS. I purchased a lens from them ages ago, but the weird thing was it came with a plastic rear lens cap and not the proper one you'd normally get...

I bought an SB900 from them which seemed completely mint, brand new so I was very happy with that, no problems whatsoever and the price was good.

I know others that have bought from them in the past and haven't had any problems buying lenses, filters, 2nd hand filters, film and so on.

I recommend searching around for prices before you go there though as you can challenge them with that and they'll hopefully price match it too but due to the current economical climate they may reject (which they did for one thing I wanted).

Watford is their local store for me, I have never been to the other one.

EDIT.

Heres the thread:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=126924

Last edited:
I asked the very same question a couple of weeks ago here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=126924

I went down to their shop in Watford and found them to be really helpful - the shop isn't that big but they seemed to have plenty of stock.

The lens I bought from them was one of the cheapest prices I found, and the bonus for me was that they allowed me a good trade-in on my old lens so I would recommend their Watford shop (y)

Alison :)

Thats interesting, personally I wouldn't be too happy with that either if true (and I'm not saying it isn't but not being there at the time gives me no right to say one way or the other), the majority of people that use them seem to have had no problems though.

Anyway, mute point now as lens was the wrong type anyway.

I can assure you it's true and I can provide documents to back up my assertions. Perhaps it's just mail order customers that are too far away to turn up and complain in person, that they do this to. All I know is that when I let them know that I'd been in touch with Nikon they changed their story from it being Nikon who supplied the fake battery, to being their "mistake".

It's a pretty profitable mistake to make, given the number of refurbished Nikons they were shifting at the time and the £45 or so difference in the prices of the batteries. ;)

Oh and it's a moot point, btw ;)

Back