Have a giggle (new camera)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if someone had manually printed off a D7000 barcode and slapped it over the top.. but then we're back to the wrong product showing on the till/receipt.

Perhaps they've mixed things up on the computer - i.e. someone has put the D7000 price against the D700 barcode number.

Perhaps they've mixed things up on the computer - i.e. someone has put the D7000 price against the D700 barcode number.

assuming that the likes of jessops tills work in the same way ours do that would be a nationwide price error.. i.e. prices are stored on a server at head office and sent down to tills on a regular basis.

if that is the case it certainly wouldnt go unnoticed for long..

How could they do anything if the OP said he sold it on for cash so that he could move to Canon? He could say he believed it to be a d7000 as that was what the sales staff said. I'm sure some people do move to Canon and most shops charge a restocking fee so he could just say he was avoiding this :shrug:

Very strange. Quite how a D700 scanned through at the price of a D7000 kit is confusing at best - did the employee have to apply a discount manually? In any case, lots of sanctimonious comments on here. I'd say keep it if you can get away with it.

Maybe the salesman couldn't be bothered to do his job properly and scanned the closest d7000 box to where he was standing then gave out the gold box closest to where he thought the d7000's were parked.

Would the serial be included in the scan?

I can't imagine the shop can get the goods back there are too many factors against them, If the OP refuses to return item what can they do? Court order? Break his door down? It would cost them far more in recovery costs than to ignore it and carry on as usual until bankruptcy I would think.

How about another scenario........

OP was buying a camera for a relative as a gift and has no idea what they're actually buying, asks for one thing pays what they think is the correct amount of money and leaves the shop.

The receipt is put somewhere safe and the camera box is wrapped up as a gift and given to the receipient x weeks later.........

if they contact you, could say you sent it straight abroad as bought it for a friend.

did you pay cash, did you give any contact details address phone number?

not sure what id do but to be honest id be very tempted to keep it..

assuming that the likes of jessops tills work in the same way ours do that would be a nationwide price error.. i.e. prices are stored on a server at head office and sent down to tills on a regular basis.

if that is the case it certainly wouldnt go unnoticed for long..

The head office/main computer is correct (website says £1,759 for D700 and £1,049 for D7000) so something else must be going on. Perhaps the shop guy knew what he was doing and knocked £700 off deliberately - in which case the invoice will say D700.

Come on guys.I can't believe so many people are saying keep this.How would you feel if it was the other way round.Just because it's a shop doesn't make it right.
Where do you draw the line.Being dishonest is being dishonest full stop.You have received something you didn't pay for.
The poor guy who made the mistake could be just about to jump off a bridge after losing his job and not being able to support his wife and 3 kids!Just a thought.

Gary

Ozei said:
I can't see how they got the price wrong then. :thinking:

Me neither.

Sardine, herring, mackerel.... sniff sniff!!!!

...Would the serial be included in the scan?

Just had a look at a Nikon box (bought from Jessops) and there are two barcodes - one is the serial number, the other is obviously the product ID. Neither of them matches any of the numbers on the Jessops receipt - the correct item is described on the receipt though.

Seems they have to give Nikons away now then :)

I know that the camera shop I use log all the serial number of the larger items, bodies, lenses etc. So that would a lot of handling of the item for the shop assistant not to realise.

The odds of the shop assistant accidently picking the D700 box and it having the barcode of the of a D7000 on it is pretty much impossible, unless the shop assistant has taken to reading barcodes instead of large letters on the box.

Scan the box, the price is shown. Somebody would realise. If a shop tried to charge me that much more for an item I would query it. This would bring to light the mistake. If the assistant had to manually deduct such a large amount from the till price then, unless they were off on another planet, they would notice something was wrong.

Something doesn't quite add up here and it is not the till receipt.

The OP hasn't said what was on the receipt. This is crucial. If it says D7000 then it needs to go back. What if Jessops report it as stolen? The shop assistant could claim the purchaser distracted him and slipped a D700 into the D7000 box. It'll be his word against the OPs.

srichards said:
The OP hasn't said what was on the receipt. This is crucial. If it says D7000 then it needs to go back. What if Jessops report it as stolen? The shop assistant could claim the purchaser distracted him and slipped a D700 into the D7000 box. It'll be his word against the OPs.

Surely CCTV footage would rule that out?

Rob275's original post is quoted below

He went into a "photography store",he didn't say it was Jessops !!!

He went in to buy a D7000 kit which the store didn't have.
So the store were selling him a body and lens normally supplied in the kit as a bundle. Presumably, that would entail the shop assistant producing a manual or custom invoice, because the store didn't have an actual D7000 kit to scan. It may well be that the store assistant manually entered the details as a D7000 kit, without scanning the actual body and lens that went into the bag!! Pure conjecture on my part and only Rob can tell us exactly how events unfolded.

I suspect that the store assistant simply made an error and picked a D700 body from the shelf instead of a D7000. Personally, I cannot accept that any shop assistant would deliberately give away ( to someone he didn't know !! ) a more expensive body in place of the less expensive one. What would be his motivation for doing so compared to the risks to his employment status if he was found out?

It's not up to us to decide whether Rob should keep the D700 body or not. Rob hasn't asked us to help him make that decision. In fact he appears to have already made up his mind to keep the incorrectly supplied D700 as he originally asked a question about lenses and not whether he should return the D700 to the store.

So i went in to a photography store today to buy the D7000 kit. They didnt have any kit boxes so he was selling me the body & 18-105 lens it comes with as a bundle instead.

Anyways he picked up a D700 off the shelf instead. I have a feeling he done this on purpose as i did mention i would of loved to have a D700 but simply cant afford it. :LOL:

Only pickle im in now is the price of lenses. Are there any affordable ones? Im looking for a nice wide angle and an allrounder.

Assuming the cctv was working and showed the scene at the right angle, potentially yes. But if an assistant was facing losing their job wouldn't they say anything?

Apart from anything else, there's the equipment insurance angle. Without a receipt showing the correct model number (or serial number), there's no proof of purchase and no insurance company will pay out in the event of a claim.

Apart from anything else, there's the equipment insurance angle. Without a receipt showing the correct model number (or serial number), there's no proof of purchase and no insurance company will pay out in the event of a claim.

Better not buy anything second hand then!! :thinking:

you dont need a receipt, Photoguard will accept a photo of the item as proof of ownership

i presume he does have a bill of sale for the amount he paid, if he had to claim wouldnt he just get paid out D7000 money, and at the end of the day thats what he spent...

Yes maybe a nice kickstart to the new year. But I would return it. I once bought tiles for my bathroom and by the time I'd got home the company was phoning me to say they had only charged me for 10 boxes and not the 15 I had so could they have my card details to take the rest.

Come on guys.I can't believe so many people are saying keep this.How would you feel if it was the other way round.Just because it's a shop doesn't make it right.
Where do you draw the line.Being dishonest is being dishonest full stop.You have received something you didn't pay for.
The poor guy who made the mistake could be just about to jump off a bridge after losing his job and not being able to support his wife and 3 kids!Just a thought.

Gary

Absolutely right. It's stealing. Return it.

How about kickstarting the New Year by setting your moral compass straight?

Evidence or it didn't happen :nono:

Funny how the op hasn't been back to reply, must be out taking photos with his d700(0)

...... or he is trudging his way slowly, and reluctantly, back to the shop ;)

Absolutely right. It's stealing. Return it.
I agree with Richard. (Again.) It's as simple as that.

If you'd paid for a D700 and been given a D7000, you'd take it back.

If you were the shop assistant who'd sold it and you were bricking it because you'd realised your mistake, you'd want the customer to bring it back.

Why is this any different to the posts in the bargains forum of a ridiculously low priced item that everyone then rushes and orders in the hope of getting a £2000 lens for £50?

Alternatively....... This could have been the story the OP told his other half and they've now found out he did purchase the more expensive camera and the OP is slowly having his plums removed :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back