Have a go at PPing this wedding shot

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd like to see how some of you more experienced PPers deal with the pic below. It's actually one of my own wedding photos from a few years back. All the photos look to have been saved to CD straight from the camera - no PP. I wasn't into photography back then and we booked someone known to us for £300 (makes a living as a photographer - and may well be a member here for all I know). Admittedly, we probably got out money's worth when all was said and done. Luckily, with somewhat limited skills, I am able to rescue the majority of what are quite bland photos.

http://www.rightgolf.co.uk/219-72dpi.jpg

I'm not concerned about about the railings etc. in the background as I can clone these out, but would like to see the colour tones and overall sharpness you can come up with. Perhaps you'd also do me the courtesy of stating what you did and which software was used.

I have already had a go and improved it consierably but won't post it just yet.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my edit, let me know if you like or wish me to remove it:

Processing wise, the main thing I felt was that it was a bit washed out - lacking contrast. So mostly I just boosted the contrast and tiny curves adjustment, and just some very minor exposure boosts and a little crop to remove some dead space from the left side. Didn't bother with a vignette but thats something you could also add (if it goes with the rest of the images).

All done in Lightroom.

Last edited:
OK a bit of Bokeh treatment.

Some Curves, a warming filter and slight highpass to sharpen.

Excuse the rough edges but its 2.30am here ;)

wed1.jpg

I am very new to this forum so please bear with me. I am not sure if there is a way to get higher resolution images from the posts. So I just right clicked and saved the 72dpi version. Which makes for some very pixelated edits...

Here is my process.

• Select the beautiful bride and bring down the warmth in her face
  • Select the young man in the middle and bring up the warmth in his face
  • Give the bride a bit of a pinch-pull with the liquify tool. (I am a lady and I know the parts that we are self conscious about)
  • I ran a free photoshop action called "Perfect Portrait" found here: http://www.thecoffeeshopblog.com/2009/02/coffeeshop-perfect-portrait-pspse.html
  • This action puts in all my favorite adjustment layers with one click. Then I go in an add the bits and pieces as I like.
  • For your image, I softened some skin, defined the eyes, added some urban grit to the landscape and the dress.

Things I did not do... Glow and Bokeh. I would ussually do that to an image like this... to make the subjects pop out from the background. But the low resolution makes it turn out looking very wierd to me.

Again... I am not sure if there is a way to get ahold of higher res images, Im new :)

-Ashford

Heres my take on it. Crop and blur background, lighten shadows and brides face slightly, plus mild sharpen.

5145414414_1c161dd6b2_b.jpg

And a sepia version.

5145414534_c277527d5d_b.jpg

Hi

Sorry to hijack the thread, for those who blurred the background, what method did you use?

Thanks in anticipation.

Lisa

I used a simple selection and lens blur, there is a very good plug-in called Bokeh which does a nice job but we haven't got it here on the laptop (I'm out)

Thanks for all your efforts. It's interesting to see how others approach it and it would seem that the results are along te lines of what I am able to achieve myself. My biggest concern is getting the skin tones right as I have seen some wedding photos on here which were stunning and almost better than life-like. This image, admittedly, probably wasn't the best to begin with. It was taken on Nikon D80 and I can see quite a bit of noise in some of the others taken at just ISO 400.

Anynway, feel free to keep having a go at this image. Here's my attempt. Please disregard the botched clone on the railings, I wasn't in the mood to undo and start again.

219-2-72dpi.jpg

It could probably do with a bit of a crop and the blurred background is very much a matter of taste on this, for me. I simply bid some hightligt/shadow, a tweak of colour balance, a minor play with levels and a little tweak of saturation. Finally, I cloned out the white spot of flash reflection on the glasses and a bit of unsharp mask to finish. I'm not sure what it looks like on your screens but is much better on mine. (y)

Hi DW

Used a couple of actions, the colour boost was an action I recorded some while ago after finding a tutorial I use it quite a lot, the exact steps I cant remember but I have attached a screen shot below.
Then sharpened using the KPD magic sharp action at 50%

21972dpi.jpg

screenshot20101104at185.jpg

Wayne

PIMPEDPIC.jpg

Love the fact that there are so many "takes" on the same photo. IMO all the edits are an improvement on the original.
OK, you're enjoying this which is great... so given I've had a glass or two (bottles) of vino... here's a grungy b&w convo I did for a bit of fun.:LOL:

NB: I am sure I will regret this!!

p789513953-4.jpg

This thread reminds me of Pimp My Photo on another forum I use to be a member of. After one week the OP would choose a winner, and then the winner would put up a new photo to be pimped. Could this happen here perhaps?.............Just a thought.

I've got to admit, I tried for a while last night and I found it a surprisingly difficult photo to work on. It shouldn't be, but for some reason it is!!!

I found the best result for me was a high contrast b&W with scratches and some vignetting - but the bride's tan would need to be lightened a little for it to work in B&W.

A close crop seemed to work quite well, bringing it in so you can't seem the groom's legs but can still see the bride's arm. :)

I've got to admit, I tried for a while last night and I found it a surprisingly difficult photo to work on. It shouldn't be, but for some reason it is!!!

Not really surprising considering the size of the file, 180kb isn't a lot to go on.

I've gotta say i prefer more of a natural look to photos than some of the funky stuff above so here's my take. Have taken the red colour cast off it with a simple curves adjustment. Selected the brides face to reduce redness further and desaturated the red channel and a small crop to improve the composition a little. Lastly, a quick web sharpen.

NB. Photobucket saturates it far too much, it's not as bad on my screen!

Revision.jpg

Back