Have You Been Mispronouncing the Brand Name of Your Car?

No ime right every one else is wrong, ime on my third Dacia and its pronounced Daseea not Dacha
I've only heard it pronounced as Dacha on the TV adverts, as the bloke doing the voice over is a northerner, I put it down to that. ;)

But is it Tourneeo or Tournayo? ;)
I have heard people pronounce Mondeo (Mondayoh) as Mondeeoh.
Alot of it is how the word translates into different languages and again how words are pronounced in different parts of a country.
As for BMW, do Germans call the letter W, V? Just because it is pronounced that way in a word, it doesn't necessarily follow they pronounce the letter as V.

The pronunciation of V and W in German can be confusing, but W is almost always pronounced like our V and V can be pronounced like our F.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyk9SmThGeQ

At least I now know why in Spain they are pronounced as BMV.
(Be eme uve)

Go to a bmw dealer in this country and say BMV and they’ll look at you like you are an idiot.
Even the adverts say BMW.
loo
Go to a bmw dealer in this country and say BMV and they’ll know you are an idiot.
Even the adverts say BMW.

Nike is an interesting one though as if you were talking about the Greek goddess of victory, the company's namesake, Nikee is correct in English (and others).

In German, BMV, as they pronounce W as V. But no one in this country, even BMW employees say BMV.

Bay Emm Vay is how the alphabet letters are pronounced, and VW is Fow Vay

After I moved back from Germany, I was always being called out for referring to IKEA as i (as in it)-kay-ah not eye-key-ah

Bay Emm Vay is how the alphabet letters are pronounced, and VW is Fow Vay

After I moved back from Germany, I was always being called out for referring to IKEA as i (as in it)-kay-ah not eye-key-ah

Correct. Always thought that was strange. In Sweden "W" is "double vay" or "dubbel v", which makes more sense to me.

When I was little, the guy who lived next door mentioned to my parents that he'd bought an Ordie.*

*It's German.

When I was little, the guy who lived next door mentioned to my parents that he'd bought an Ordie.*

*It's German.
How very forward of him to spring the new technology on them ;)

Well I drove a Scooby for a few years........:coat:

I remember when I first moved to Germany, I was looking for a second hand car and in my ignorance, didn't realise that Germans would not refer to a VW Beetle as a "Beetle"; I ignored the loads of "Käfer" in the paper.

Back