Hawkscombe Valley Woods

Edit My Images
No
Just got back from a few(wet) days down in Exmoor including several walks up the Hawkscombe valley behind Porlock, the first couple of pics I'v gotten around to so far...

QNeTUyE.jpg

Pf1DLbf.jpg

I'm liking the forest stream photo. Perhaps the greens are a bit over saturated and could do with being toned down a little.

The first was taken quite early in the day just as the sun was breaking though cloud, the second on a very overcast day(needed a 25 sec exposure with just a polariser), The only significant tweaking on either is brighting some of the foliage in the background of the first shot.

Sharpness wise imgur seems to do a poor job of larger images.

I have gone backwards and forwards on the saturation/colour temp for the first shot, something slightly desaturdated and a bit warmer in the foiliage...

fUcJue4.jpg

Last edited:
That's more realistic. I have had exactly the same problem in some lighting conditions, so I know where you're coming from.

The main problem was really the colour temp(auto WB pretty useless) although I think the strong cool greens help the image personally.

Its a question of taste I spose but personally my opinion would be in favour of "interesting" lighting that will give strong colours and contrast over dull/harsh middle of the day kind of lighting for landscape. The latter might reflect peoples personal experiences more but I don't think that carries much weight myself outside of snapshots.

Last edited:
Back