Haynes Motor Museum - a 10 year olds perspective

Name
Mads
Edit My Images
Yes
Thats quite the pretentious title now I think of it.
We took my ten year old son to the Haynes Motor Museum a few days before his 11th birthday. I'd just taken my camera out when he pipes up with 'can I take some photos?'
I'm never ever going to refuse that, so I was relegated to using my iphone for the entire visit while he wandered about, shooting to his hearts content.
Here are some of his photos, not edited, just converted to jpg

Williams F1 by Madison S, on Flickr

Exhaust by Madison S, on Flickr

Mini by Madison S, on Flickr

The camera was on auto mode, and some of the lighting was less than ideal so we've had a good few with slow shutter speeds, resulting in blurry images. I didn't want to stop him for each shot to check it all, I just let him get on an enjoy himself.

Well done young man, encourage him please ;)

Well done young man, encourage him please ;)
Shall do, thank you. To be honest, some of the ones he's taken have elicited a proper 'wow' from me, particularly the back end of the f1 car. I wish I had his creativity.

Methinks you have lost your camera to him....

Time to give him his own???

All great pictures, miles better than what I would have captured. Well done and keep it up. Hoping one day my kids will start using my kit.

Methinks you have lost your camera to him....

Time to give him his own???

I should know better really, he loves getting involved, as shown here last summer
20210826_155852 by Madison S, on Flickr

I do have my old crop sensor camera he can use, I just didn't think to take it. I think it might be a touch heavy for him, so I'll have to start taking the panasonic m43 thingy I've got, but its not so capable

All great pictures, miles better than what I would have captured. Well done and keep it up. Hoping one day my kids will start using my kit.

To be completely frank, I've looked through some of his photos and been awed, knowing full well I'd never have thought to take it like that. He's got a natural eye for it, and he's already way more creative in the way he views things than I am

Those are cool, love the Hill Williams.

@VirtualAdept you haven't lost any equipment to him, you have, of course, gained the opportunity to buy you a new one :coat:

Reactions: Nod
Shall do, thank you. To be honest, some of the ones he's taken have elicited a proper 'wow' from me, particularly the back end of the f1 car. I wish I had his creativity.
Agree with this - the back end shot is great, a couple of blown highlights but from a 10 year old - wow!

@VirtualAdept you haven't lost any equipment to him, you have, of course, gained the opportunity to buy you a new one :coat:

You sir are a genius

Agree with this - the back end shot is great, a couple of blown highlights but from a 10 year old - wow!

Yeah, the lighting in there is really difficult, that end of the room is quite dark with a big window in the far corner. I'd have struggled to get the exposure any better.

He's asked me to show you all a couple more (being autistic, he has trouble accepting my praise as thats what I'm supposed to do, but he'll accept it from you guys)

Miura by Madison S, on Flickr

500 by Madison S, on Flickr
This ones a bit odd, there's something about it that really speaks to me, but I can't place what. Such a shame about the shutter speed.

Great stuff.

I know what you mean about the 500 shot. A slightly lower angle, avoiding the foreground on the left and cropping just to the left of the rear wheel would be awesome.

Keep him shooting!

Great stuff.

I know what you mean about the 500 shot. A slightly lower angle, avoiding the foreground on the left and cropping just to the left of the rear wheel would be awesome.

Keep him shooting!
Yep, I completely agree. I'm trying to explain it without sounding like criticism, being autistic he immedaitely jumps to 'I'm so stupid' which I'm trying to avoid.

Some great photos there. Like you have said he definitely has the eye for it. The exhaust one was really good.
I really like the Muira one too, shame about the barrier in the way but nothing you or your son can do about that.

Back