HDMI Liveview

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Is it possible to connect to your laptop from your camera using a HDMI connection and control the camera using the appropriate software?

Or are you only able to do this using a mini USB connection?

Andy

I'm no expert but afaik as HDMI is a dedicated multi-media connection you cannot use it to control your camera.

I suppose that makes sense. Thanks for your reply.

Might be worth experimenting with using the HDMI cable to use an HD larger screen as a monitor but using the USB connection as the control cable. The only problem could be the extra weight of the cable and the extra cable to trip over but that might not be a problem in some situations.

Andy, what's the reason for the question? is it because of cable lengths etc? Unfortunately HDMI doesn't allow the type of communication that the USB would, HDMI allows basic I/O commands i.e. power on / power off (if you have an amp connected with a TV etc and HDMI command is set to on, it will control the power status of those devices)
The only option you've got is tethering with USB using the canon software for live view if that's what you're on about using with a HDMI monitor attached ?

as far as i am aware the hdmi connector on a laptop only outputs an hdmi signal it isn't an hdmi input and the hdmi on your DSLR is again only an output device
connecting your camera to a laptop via hdmi would probably do nothing at best and damage at worst ( they are both output devices ) as already mentioned hdmi from your camera to a monitor and usb from camera to laptop is the way to go or just usb to laptop and control / view from the laptop monitor

Back