HDR - Marmite time

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Would really appreciate C&C please, HDR is pretty much in the eye of the beholder.

tower1.jpg

is this a set from Assassin's Creed? ;-)
On a serious note - I feel bush on right is bit oversaturated, but otherwise I quite like the shot

is this a set from Assassin's Creed? ;-)
On a serious note - I feel bush on right is bit oversaturated, but otherwise I quite like the shot

Off to Google Assassin's Creed ............... Seriously! :)

Thanks for your comment.

bit over as he said but building leaning to the right ?

I thought that also. I leveled it in Lightroom and it looked worse. I even got my better half to look at it for a second opinion and she couldn't seem to get it looking right. Maybe it is!?

Overcooked, okay thanks, learning all the time. I'll post an original later.

Many thanks.

Might just be me but the tree to the left looks really soft/blurry could be movement bettween your shots?

The processing is also a bit overcooked for my taste the halos are a bit too obvious.

I do however like the subject I think the composition would be better it the tower wasn't so central or the foliage formed more of a frame.

I don't like Marmite.

Too overcooked for my taste, was this done handheld or using a tripod

As above, i think the movement in the tree is a bit of an issue too, and lots of haloing going on where the sky meets the landscape, also the sky looks far too dark

The composition is nice though, so not all lost ;)

I have no idea which program you used but maybe it can remove the ghosting from the trees , I have used photomatix which has this feature.

I quite like HDR but prefer a more subtle effect as I feel this one is a little overcooked.
A nice subject for HDR though, keep at it.

Too overcooked for my taste, was this done handheld or using a tripod

As above, i think the movement in the tree is a bit of an issue too, and lots of haloing going on where the sky meets the landscape, also the sky looks far too dark

The composition is nice though, so not all lost ;)

Handheld.

I noticed the haloing too and also didn't like it that much. I'll give it another go.

The sky was fairly dark naturally, taken about 08.45 Wednesday morning (17th).

the original is pretty bland. HDR version is definitely better but a bit more subtlety would look fantastic.
where was this shot taken?

the original is pretty bland. HDR version is definitely better but a bit more subtlety would look fantastic.
where was this shot taken?

Blandford Forum, Dorset.

I was on a bridge about, maybe 600 - 1,000 yards away, difficult to judge. The tower is in the centre of the town. It was taken at max with my Sigma 150 - 500.

Thanks, you're right, subtelty is the word! :)

The HDR is cool! I rather like the over-saturated bushes and the slightly dreamlike quality from being handheld.

So a question to the OP, why use HDR? What were you hoping to achieve?

As a newbie to photography, I'm experimenting pretty much all the time.

I also thought the original camera shot looked flat and felt it might look improved with HDR.

That's pretty much it really. :)

You have lightroom right? Just a suggestion, experiment with LR first, settings, tweaks, crops etc before heading down the HDR route. You'll be surprised what you can ekk out of a RAW image.

Yes I do have lightroom and you are right I have nowhere near explored what it can do.

I'll get on the case, thanks. :)

Back