Head Torch

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at getting a reliable head torch for then im out at night to help me find my way in the dark. I have a cheapo one just now but looking for something brighter , rechargable and possibly one i can widen or narrow the beam but thats not essential. So whats available or do i just get a 5000/6000 lumen one from ebay.

I'm also looking for a head torch, what mkes them worth the price, not that I know much about it but they dont seem overly bright?

I was looking at the following, which is pretty cheap but also pretty bright!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5000Lumen-H...70052&sr=8-1&keywords=rechargeable+head+torch

Mark trust me get a thrunite one they are fantastic! I use one for night fishing and can't fault it. Also very comfortable

I can only comment on another LED Lenser product I have which uses 1 battery and is like a light sabre once on. Not sure where they get 5000 lumens from on the others think there is a bit of confusion over how bright each of them are. If you need a head torch I would personally get one with red lights on too as not to ruin your night vision.

I have a couple of lenser headlights and a small torch. I first got one given to me at work for night working, several years on it's still working well. At work I use it more than the maglites I also have. I've since purchased my own lenser headlight and torch for photography, they are good products.

I can only comment on another LED Lenser product I have which uses 1 battery and is like a light sabre once on. Not sure where they get 5000 lumens from on the others think there is a bit of confusion over how bright each of them are. If you need a head torch I would personally get one with red lights on too as not to ruin your night vision.
Or do what they do on Skomer Island and give you red electrical tape to put over your light, if your torch is bright it actually works quite well. An actual red light function would be great but I struggled to find a good one.

I use a Petzl head torch, not sure of the model but they make a good range and I use it for lots of hiking in the dark in and out of the mountains. Very reliable, couple of power settings as well as a flashing mode.

This one is well regarded by walkers. I've had one for three years and it's never let me down.

I always use duracells and carry a replacement set. Being left without a light can be nasty if you get unlucky.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/viper

Last edited:
This one is well regarded by walkers. I've had one for three years and it's never let me down.

I always use duracells and carry a replacement set. Being left without a light can be nasty if you get unlucky.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/viper

The Alpkit ones are great, I have two of their older ones and they are great - more than good enough for trekking up Kilimanjaro and camping in the Serengeti.

Cheers, will have a look at those also..The price of the Appkit is really good and willing to spend as much as it takes, well up to no more than £60 but the less the better..lol..

The reason I ended up with the Alpkit was that I realised it would probably take more than £50 to get anything that much better...

And, if you're outdoorsy at all, all the Alpkit stuff is great quality and great value - we have some of their down sleeping bags and they are also fantastic.

I use a unilite prosafe PS-H8 at work for taking photos of roofs and flues etc in the dark.
Very bright, fully adjustable beam.

Last edited:
Seriously the thrunite is super bright almost 700 lumens and so comfy to wear trust me I've tried loads but this is a great head torch mate

No just uses batteries and yes super bright!!

Ahh OK the link you posted didnt work properly for me, when I found it the description said it comes with a charger and battery.

I want it for my Iceland trip in a couple of weeks so not sure if best to get a rechargable or just one tat uses regular batteries as batteries probably wont last too long.

I have an LED Lenser SE05. Great torch with red led too. I've tried the cheap Chinese head torches, some of them are really good but they tend to be heavy and the hinge wears quickly causing the light to drop down all the time.

So that's what the bastards use on their bikes. Really bad because they are either non directional or carelessly adjusted. I think I'll run down the next one I see. Are you one of them? Seriously though they are very dazzling and more thought needs to be put into designing them.

How long will you need to use it between charges? Generally speaking, the brighter it is, the shorter its life from "normal" sized batteries.

I just replaced my broken Alpkit headtorch (which was otherwise fine and great value) with a Silverpoint Search SC280. 4 hours on medium (200 lumens), a "bright" mode, lower power. Only thing it doesn't have is a red mode, but personally I never got on with that anyway for some reason. Charges via USB and doesn't take AAA/AAs. It works well for what I want (mountains, wild camping) but might not be ideal for others.

I use this for running. Great light at the price. I've had it for about 3 years now, so the tech is maybe a little dated. You'll get much brighter ones now.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gamma

Yup, that was my old one. Did me perfectly well and I thought the red/green lights were neat little novelties until I didn't really use them. One of the lugs broke off which made it useless after about 18 months use, but it suffered fairly heavy use/abuse - chucking in rucksacks and bouncing off rocks. My new replacement is a lot brighter but nearly 3x the price.

When working used Led Lenser H7 and also had the P7. They were recommended to me by some site electricians and from their experiences and different uses they found the H7 best. I bought both and totally recommend them.

So that's what the bastards use on their bikes. Really bad because they are either non directional or carelessly adjusted. I think I'll run down the next one I see. Are you one of them? Seriously though they are very dazzling and more thought needs to be put into designing them.

They are designed for off road use primarily and are some of the best lights on the market for bikes. Robust long lasting and directional lighting.

Of course cars with exceptionally bright lights are not dazzling at all........

Hi mark have a look at Cree led torches I think they are brilliant ?
Hi is one but their is loads of different ones
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Headlam...-1-spons&keywords=cree+led+rechargeable&psc=1

They are superb for the money. I'd completely forgotten I had one (THIS ONE), until I saw this thread.

Well timed as I'm off on a dawn shoot Wednesday and have a fair walk in the dark. Was just going to use a torch, but this will be much better until I get to where I'm going. Batteries now charging :)

They are designed for off road use primarily and are some of the best lights on the market for bikes. Robust long lasting and directional lighting.

Of course cars with exceptionally bright lights are not dazzling at all........
I drive mostly on unlit rural roads and find many modern cars either have headlights that are too bright and/or perhaps badly adjusted. I also suspect that some people are driving with their headlamps on full beam all the time - the dipsticks don't know where their dipswitch is!
However the bikes are the worst because they are relatively rare so difficult to identify in the dark because of the light spread and sometimes flashing. I came across one that, when I drew level, I realised was a cyclist with a helmet lamp and another lamp low down both incredibly bright! Obviously the one on his head was shining wherever he looked. I am very pro cycling and used to cycle in London so I know about the difficulties caused by car drivers but that is not to say there aren't difficulties the other way.

I drive mostly on unlit rural roads and find many modern cars either have headlights that are too bright and/or perhaps badly adjusted. I also suspect that some people are driving with their headlamps on full beam all the time - the dipsticks don't know where their dipswitch is!
However the bikes are the worst because they are relatively rare so difficult to identify in the dark because of the light spread and sometimes flashing. I came across one that, when I drew level, I realised was a cyclist with a helmet lamp and another lamp low down both incredibly bright! Obviously the one on his head was shining wherever he looked. I am very pro cycling and used to cycle in London so I know about the difficulties caused by car drivers but that is not to say there aren't difficulties the other way.

Agreed. Some cyclists are their own worst enemies. I still ride in Central London (where there are some appalling antics and everyone has another agenda or three, playing on their mind at the same time) as well as in totally rural areas, (but where the vehicle speeds are generally higher) which provide an interesting contrast.

(I was walking in Central London on Thursday evening and find it unbelievable that some cyclists think they dont need any lights. But still expect to be seen.

However, the stats seem to show that those who are hesitant or defensive end up coming off worst. Which probably accounts for why so many other cyclists take a different stance there.

Personally I think the roads would be a lot safer if everybody saw the problems from the 'other side' too....lorry.....bus....car....bike.....pedestrian, but unfortunately most don't and never will.

Thanks folks, I have enough to be getting on with and will read reviews etc before deciding. My thoughts at the moment are to buy an Alpkit one to throw in the car as they aren't expensive and get a Thrunite for my travels but I'm open to change and after reading reviews on ALL the suggested then I may end up with something different instead.

the cw stands for cool white as opposed to normal white..One just gives off a cooler whiter light
You wont be disappointed with the torch its superb

Last edited:
Back