Headshots with iPad Softbox

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all!
I read an article somewhere or other last week about using a bright, white iPad screen as a makeshift softbox and thought I'd give it a go with my flatmate as a model. The ipad was positioned shining on to the left side of his face with just natural light from a window to his right.
Here's what I ended up with. Please critique/comment!

Headshot 1 Colour by Greg Barker, on Flickr

Headshot 1 B&W by Greg Barker, on Flickr

Headshot 2 Colour by Greg Barker, on Flickr

Headshot 2 B&W by Greg Barker, on Flickr

I think it's pretty cool Greg.

Much prefer the colour portrait crop than the others but I'm afraid, if you look closely, you've not quite nailed focus. Better luck next time!

Both renditions a pleasing to me. The ratios are the question in these take as the fills
are too strong to express the full theatrical character initiated but not fully achieved.

I think it's pretty cool Greg.

Much prefer the colour portrait crop than the others but I'm afraid, if you look closely, you've not quite nailed focus. Better luck next time!
Thanks, yeah I think I ended up with focus on his glasses possibly which was slightly frustrating!

Thanks, yeah I think I ended up with focus on his glasses possibly which was slightly frustrating!
Easy mistake to make when you're looking for sharpness on the back of a tiny LCD. Next time just try and zoom in at 100% and make sure the eyes tack sharp. This is especially important when you're shooting at slower shutter speeds due to poor lighting.

Easy mistake to make when you're looking for sharpness on the back of a tiny LCD. Next time just try and zoom in at 100% and make sure the eyes tack sharp. This is especially important when you're shooting at slower shutter speeds due to poor lighting.
Would you recommend focussing manually using liveview in this situation or sticking with AF?
I'm assuming you are talking about checking post shot!

Would you recommend focussing manually using liveview in this situation or sticking with AF?
I'm assuming you are talking about checking post shot!
I never use MF. Just check afterwards to make sure you've nailed it.

A really interesting experiment but it doesn't work for me. Too much light on the forehead, not enough in the eye. The first b&w is better because the colour temperature isn't all over the place. In the first - on the uncalibrated monitor I'm currently using - his skin has orange, green, blue and pink tints according to which bit of him you look at.

The first b&w is better because the colour temperature isn't all over the place. In the first - on the uncalibrated monitor I'm currently using - his skin has orange, green, blue and pink tints according to which bit of him you look at

I see the same, I wonder what the colour rendering index of an iPad is?

i agree with the others about focus and the relative strengths of the fill against the ambient
also in colour the colour temperature of these light sources is different...and can be seen to be so
so
black to white to the rescue

ps are you still on alto...i eventually ended up on tenor....and clarinet

i agree with the others about focus and the relative strengths of the fill against the ambient
also in colour the colour temperature of these light sources is different...and can be seen to be so
so
black to white to the rescue

ps are you still on alto...i eventually ended up on tenor....and clarinet
I'm doing a bit of all the saxes to be honest. More work that way!

I'm doing a bit of all the saxes to be honest. More work that way!

Snap!!

i used them all as well...sop to bari...and clarinet, oboe, and at times for a lark the Bb tuba
i am now on bass guitar ....unfrequently as i have sort of dropped out of the band scene...at 72 they want someone younger

are you a session man or in a band...dont be bashful..:D

Back