Headtorch

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Rather an odd question and one that has me slightly stumped!

Off overnighting on Skomer next month for two nights - and I need to get myself a headtorch.....which is fine - but I want one that can either take or use coloured gels so that the manxies don't use me a target practice.....

Any one know of a decent weather proof make that I can use gels/filters with?

Ta

Matt

I can't offer any recommendations as I use either a 15 yr old Petzl Zoom or a cheap (£5) one from Decathlon that I picked up to throw in my rucksack for emergencies!

However, I do know that quite a few now have a red filter built in or some red LED's for more discrete use, such as this: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/petzl-tac-tikka-plus-head-torch-ac210023?id_colour=124 But I have no idea how good it actually is.

Not sure if they're powerful enough for your needs, but I have one of the Energizer ones. It also has a RED mode.

Thanks both - will check both of these out - appreciate it - had been searching and had come up blank! :eek:)

Another Alpkit recommend here - I've actually got 3 of them!!!

I have a Petzl Tikka XL2. Easily the best head torch I've used. It's small light and battery life from the 3 AAA batteries is outstanding. Also it can do bright, dim and strobe white light as well steady or strobe red light too. There's also a diffuser, I usually have mine in dim white with the diffuser to light up just in front me rather than a strong beam.

Got mine from Go Outdoors in Southampton http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/petzl-tikka-xp2-headtorch-p103505

I had one of those CREE ones, but after seeing what one of those batteries did to someones hand removing it from a charger I binned it immediately as there is no way it was going near my head again.

Thank you all - going to check both alpkit and the petzl out - really do appreciate all your feedback!

Many thanks,

Matt

Chris, what was the incident with the CREE charger?

I use Alpkit Gamma's for field work (marine biology) they have had some serious abuse being covered in sea water, sand etc and are still going strong, as already said cheap too.

Thanks for the link Chris.
Crikey, not something i'd thought much about tbh.

Another +1 for the Alpkit Gamma. I got one in 2008 for fell running and it's still going strong.

To be fair, I don't really use it for fell running anymore, I moved up to a Pretzl Myo XP, but that's 50 notes more expensive. It's a lot brighter which you need for running, but the Alpkit is still a great allrounder.

I left it switched on overnight in the car once, and the batteries still lasted another few months. Great bit of kit for 15 quid.

+1 for Alpkit, took a couple to the arctic in Feb, worked perfectly even in -30c temperatures

I bought a Petzl Zipka 2 earlier this year as I wanted a head torch for photography, night walking and roadside car emergencies. I haven't put it to the test yet, but the reviews all look good and the specs are great. If you want a red option then the Zipka 2 Plus offers this. No filters though. The thing I really love about the Zipka 2 is the compact, tangle free, fit anywhere (almost) design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmW1KzD5oY

Last edited:
I use what is literally a head torch, or a torch on my head.....

A Maglite 2xAA LED torch and a "nite ize" headband, being a Maglite it's really tough and the lens is easily changed for any colour you wish.

Admittedly I only really use it when i'm clambering around in the loft or working on the car, but it's useful off the headband as a powerful compact torch or a convenient and legal Kubaton slotted into my camera bag (just incase I wander down the wrong street).

Downside is it's 1.5v alkaline batteries only, 1.2v NI-MH won't work properly.

Downside is it's 1.5v alkaline batteries only, 1.2v NI-MH won't work properly.

I wouldn't used Ni-mh in a torch anyway. You can easily drain them down below where a smart charger will be able to charge them back up. Most stuff these days auto power down when the battery is drained, a torch won't.

I wouldn't used Ni-mh in a torch anyway. You can easily drain them down below where a smart charger will be able to charge them back up. Most stuff these days auto power down when the battery is drained, a torch won't.

Just give them a few seconds in a non-smart charger and they'll then charge in a smart charger.

Most torches with Ni-mh batteries will have a noticeable fall-off before the batteries approach full-discharge and it's not difficult to switch off (and change batteries) before they get too low to charge in a smart charger. It only happens to me when my mrs leaves them switched on.;)

Back