Heat.

My bold:

Well I'll be blowed :) We had a lovely holiday near Aberfeldy in 2022 and went shopping there. We stayed here. Our cabin was the one on the left.

We went to a superb butchers in Bank St. called McDonalds. When my wife went into the Co-op, behind the Jet garage, at the far end of the town I sat on the seat outside and a man had tied his dog to the seat and gone into the shop so I had a chat to it ,as you do.. :D When he returned we had a chat and I told him you wouldn't do that in England..it might be stolen. "No problems like that here" he said.My wife is from Newmilns, Ayrshire (just under 8 miles east of Kilmarnock) and people always asked her where she was from. I was ignored...Lol.

I'm sure the way back was over the lovely General Wade's bridge over the river Tay .It was only a couple of days ago my wife asked me if we should go back there to the cabin. When we left we travelled to Chanonry Point on the Moray Firth for a week to see the dolphins and stayed in the dormer bungalow behind the lighthouse (photo three) so a great view of the water.

Great drive back home passing Stirling...I could see the castle over on the left.... ..M9 > M80. Wonderful scenery.
Fantastic! It's a lovely part of the world here. Crieff, Comrie, St Fillans, Aberfeldy, Kenmore, Dunkeld... All within 30 mins of home. Loch Tay, the stunning endless conifer forests... It's beautiful. But bloody cold in winter.

Curiously its hovering +/- around zero. Its been a lot colder here recently. And yet I'm feeling cold. I had to boost the heating.
I just hope I'm not going down with the lurgy that seems to around and about.

A positively balmy 3°C this morning!

All of the snow in the photo I posted a couple of days ago has gone. It was great to see and the most I've seen in years. It arrived quickly but even better it disappeared quickly, so no slushy muck around.

Now about 7C

Dave

Its currently +5 at the moment, calm and overcast.
Wind forecast to pick up later and rain overnight.

My pond is still 90% frozen over and the 3" of ice I took out of the bird bath is still laying there.

We're upto 7°C now, at just after 7pm. I walked the dog earlier, close to a 4 miler and despite the relative warmth, compared to recent days, I'd forgotten my gloves and my fingers got really cold, to the point they were that tingly, horrible way when I got home and they warmed up.

It's breezy, damp and pretty meh at the moment.

3o here, wet stuff predicted to start around 21:00

Had a natter to my son last night. He was carrying logs into the house. -14°C and snowing at the time. This morning, it was <-20°C.

He lives about 40km west of Helsinki. His partner (Finnish) says that she's never seen so much snow in Southern Finland. But their air source heat pumps are still working well.

Its currently +5 at the moment, calm and overcast.
Wind forecast to pick up later and rain overnight.

My pond is still 90% frozen over and the 3" of ice I took out of the bird bath is still laying there.
That pond pump I had trouble with is now sitting on the shelf around the pond and as it's under12" of water t and that's fine. I just wish I'd thought of that years ago but all advice ..online..was to sit it on the bottom. I assume those giving the advice had in mind a pond without a shelf. There are plants on the shelf in Spring/ summer. All I do now is to reach down with an old kitchen sink brush and give it a scrape to clear the inlet holes (like a colander) and all's fine. The reason I've mentioined it is that, as with your pond water mine is frozen,too and I can't get to the pump. It looks ok,though. I was amazed at how thick the ice is. I empty the bird bath when frost is due and re-fill aboput 10.00am the following day when it's not so cold but having two cascades running it's not essential.

We're due the rain and winds about 1.00pm tomorrow. The people in the house behind and to the left, have been away all week and they left the back bedroom window open quite a bit. The blind was 3/4 the way down so they've obviouisly not seen it. If the winds are strong enough the way it's opened it may well will whip open with the westerly gales we're expecting. Also, I wonder if next door's fence will survive. It managed to stay up during the last named storm but it's been swaying already and we've only got a strong breeze at present. I told the owners of the house (not the people in it) that they need to replace it not sink a 3' concrete post into the ground and bolt the fence post to it. as they did last time.

That pond pump I had trouble with is now sitting on the shelf around the pond and as it's under12" of water t and that's fine. I just wish I'd thought of that years ago but all advice ..online..was to sit it on the bottom.
Mine sits on the bottom towards the deep end in about 30" of water.
Thankfully the pond wasn't that frozen when I realised it wasn't working, ( frozen above ground pipes short run) so i managed to get it out, with just minor ice breaking.

There is still a fair amount of ice on the pond though.
3o here, wet stuff predicted to start around 21:00
No rain as yet, its now predicted for around 23:00hrs

Raining now but still a respectable 7°C. A bit of a breeze but nothing worying, for now.
4o According to the weather map, its snowing here.
Not according to my back garden :D

5-C here at 05-00 and up to 6-C at the moment with a strong wind, no rain just yet but everywhere seems very damp & miserable.

Apparently its 10oC here, but I'm not convinced.
The snow never arrived, just very light rain.
Its currently damp and grey, with a breeze.

Yesterday the ground was still frozen but starting to soften, and today is grey and cold but not freezing. Back to mediocrity of weather. :p
Same here. Pond still frozen but rain falling. Still skating on ice on the mountains yesterday but being pelted with rain at the same time.

My part of the country seems largely OK
A mild 10.5 ( according to the car) 25mph winds ( but it doesn't look like it) and dry.

It seems I'm in for a bit of a downpour around 5pm.
For now though I've got a couple of windows open, allowing the breeze to blow through, it was getting a bot stuffy in here,
after having everything buttoned up in the sub zero temperatures, of late.

Just shows the difference between here and Scotland with Dale recording 6ºC at 1144, Cobra with 10.5ºC and here it's 12ºC. The pressure is now 1020mb down from 1035mb yesterday (the marker arrow stays at where I set it, so at 1035mb yesterday, so I don't forget what it was before this storm had an influence. Wind speed now 24mph. Doesn't sound much but it's quite windy. Managed to persuaded my wife to get the washing on earlier to take advantage of the 12ºC and wind. Our gas consumption doubled last week because of the minus temps from 32 to 64 cubic metres. The electricity consumption has stayed the same at 63 kwh because I closely watch the weather and know when to do a wash so we don't end up using the dryer which uses electricity at a fare rate of knots or rather kWh :). The only other appliance that has such a high consumption is the 3Kw kettle.

I don't hold out much hope for the my neighbour's two fence panels either side of a wooden post. At present it being blown back a couple of feet into their garden and about 12" our side.When we came to replace our fencing a few years ago we had concrete posts put in.

We're nowhere near maximum wind speed as Isha gets closer. I'm also expecting the 30m tall Crack Willow trees across the road to be minus a few..probably more than a few, branches by the morning because they are so brittle..hence the name. . We won't get the 70/80 mph forecast for Wales (north) the north of England and Scotland,infact one forercaster said today that there's a possibility of gusts of 90mph in the far north of Scotland. Thurso and Wick. I'd imagine the Orkney and Shetland) Islands will be hit very hard, too

Its a bugger when that happens Gav.
Mines thawed but evaporating :(

Hope the rain replaces what the wind/heat has lost.
It should do, if it arrives, it keeps shifting though.

Well, here we go by the looks. It's rather gusty out there now and getting stronger. It's hitting the front of our house, so along the shoogly fence, hopefully the fence isn't going to take a direct, face on hit. I'm keeping everything crossed that it will stay up until I can get some new posts in.

It's 10°C now though, with light rain.

The central presasure of Isha is down to 958 mb. Ireland Met Office (Met Éireann) has issued a top-rated red warning re wind for the NW of the country. The UK Met Office has said that there may be tornadoes here in the UK in western regions. They're bad enough at any time but particularly dangerous at night when,of course, they can't be seen when ,sometimes they can be avoided..ie if driving.

Some wind gusts at 1300 today.

Capel Curig (Conwy, Wales)90mph.

The Cairnwell..East of Braemar..78 mph

Aonach Mòr(mountain)Located about two miles northeast of Ben Nevis..76mph
St Mary's, Scilly Isles..58mph.
Crosby (Liverpool) 57mph.

It seems the worst will be after midnight. There's going to be widesprerad transport disruption for the morning rush hour that's for sure

Just shows the difference between here and Scotland with Dale recording 6ºC at 1144, Cobra with 10.5ºC and here it's 12ºC. The pressure is now 1020mb down from 1035mb yesterday (the marker arrow stays at where I set it, so at 1035mb yesterday, so I don't forget what it was before this storm had an influence. Wind speed now 24mph. Doesn't sound much but it's quite windy. Managed to persuaded my wife to get the washing on earlier to take advantage of the 12ºC and wind. Our gas consumption doubled last week because of the minus temps from 32 to 64 cubic metres. The electricity consumption has stayed the same at 63 kwh because I closely watch the weather and know when to do a wash so we don't end up using the dryer which uses electricity at a fare rate of knots or rather kWh :). The only other appliance that has such a high consumption is the 3Kw kettle.

I don't hold out much hope for the my neighbour's two fence panels either side of a wooden post. At present it being blown back a couple of feet into their garden and about 12" our side.When we came to replace our fencing a few years ago we had concrete posts put in.

We're nowhere near maximum wind speed as Isha gets closer. I'm also expecting the 30m tall Crack Willow trees across the road to be minus a few..probably more than a few, branches by the morning because they are so brittle..hence the name. . We won't get the 70/80 mph forecast for Wales (north) the north of England and Scotland,infact one forercaster said today that there's a possibility of gusts of 90mph in the far north of Scotland. Thurso and Wick. I'd imagine the Orkney and Shetland) Islands will be hit very hard, too
Pressure here 971.8, the high today was 995. Been dropping since 0100h and still falling. 35mm rain today so far which isn't abnormal for the highlands but more to come....

The wind is blowing quite well, now, but there isn't a lot of rain with it.
It's behind Youuuuu......:D

Rainfall 1830...https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/rainfall-radar-forecast-map#?model=ukmo-ukv&layer=rainfall-rate&bbox=%5B%5B39.06184913429154,-45.6591796875%5D,%5B65.83877570688918,37.705078125%5D%5D

Back