Heavy Duty Tripod advice

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have settled on a Benro gimbal type head for my 500f4 lens but i dont think my tripod will be up to the job so looking for advice.Needs to be decent and do the job well but not be a stupid price. I would like a Gitzo but the price is above what i would like to spend--so suggestions.

Have you considered the Benro tripods - they are essentially a Gitzo copy?

I'd say the Benbo 1 or Benbo 2 are really good bang for your buck and will support anything. Not the most convenient or light to carry though.

The Benbo 1 seems to have a max load of 12kg--dont think thats much more than my Redsnapper. I am not up to speed on what makes a good tripod, so why would the Benbo be better than my Redsnapper?

Also the Benbo seems quite heavy although i havent compared it to other decent tripods. I will carry it along with my big Photo Trekker AW600 backpack, so lighter the better ut must be capeable of holding the camera and big lens.

The Benbo 1 seems to have a max load of 12kg--dont think thats much more than my Redsnapper. I am not up to speed on what makes a good tripod, so why would the Benbo be better than my Redsnapper?

12 Kilograms is 26.5 lbs- which is quite some weight. Add together your lens and the weight of the camera body - you may find yourself OK with your current tripod.. The Benbo is one of the most versatile and adaptable tripods made. All the modern tripods with splaying legs and rotating centre columns are copies in some respect of the Benbo original.
Also the Benbo seems quite heavy although i havent compared it to other decent tripods. I will carry it along with my big Photo Trekker AW600 backpack, so lighter the better ut must be capeable of holding the camera and big lens.

As I said, Benbos aren't light or compact when folded. The problem is when you're looking for a tripod which will support a great weight and still be light and convenient to carry, the options get expensive.

What about this---BENRO C-358 M8 Carbon Tripod. Has anyone used or saw any reviews for this tripod.

It looks OK although ideally for a 500mm lens I'd choose one without a centre column. I wouldn't do anything in a rush if I were you - see how you get on with your Redsnapper. If you're going to be shooting birds, you'll be using IS anyway.

Ulltimately you need a top end tripod with that lens, so I'd wait until you have the wonga. You could check ouit the Gitzo aluminium tripods- there's hardly any weight advantage at all with CF against alloy, and alloy is a lot less expensive.

I read somewhere that the tripod should hold around 3 times the weight of the camera and lens. Im not about to jump in as i wont have the spare cash until Jan, just bought the lens which is a Nikon 500 AFS so no IS/VR, also ordering the Benro head so no spare just now. I see my Redsnapper should be good for 8kg so physically it should hold but dont want to push it to its limits- rather be safe than sorry.lol.

If you fancy a Benro (and I can see why ;) ) then this looks like the one for you http://cgi.ebay.com/BENRO-C-397-M8-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca7ca14ae The advice to get one without a centre column is probably good for that lens, makes the tripod lighter too, and you can buy a separate centre-column to slot in.

I would buy that tripod with complete confidence. It looks spot on. I bought a Benro myself recently, unseen, but on good recommendation. Close your eyes and your would not know it wasn't a Gitzo. Superb quality.

Contact them for a deal on the legs and gimbal together - you'll save on shipping at least.

I note some of you are talking about to makes of tripod
There is Benro and Benbo are some getting mixed up?Also the Benbo is like the Uni-Loc which I have and it good and strong

Benro is a high quality Chinese copy of Gitzo. Benbo altogether different; just about the only thing they have in common is three legs.

Good to see Benro bringing out a fixed plate tripod, this was an area lacking in their range,........... it looks top notch (y),... hope the 497 is out soon as the 397 will be to short for many.

Merry Xmas :)

Hi
I have a Gitzo 3530LS (6x carbon) on ebay at the moment that will do the job. I used this with a 'Really Right Stuff' BH55 Ball head (also for sale) & a Wimberley sidekick, for a D3 & 200-400 lens - Rock solid....
Mick

The redsnapper is fine unless it is at full extension,legs only I mean,it is ok if your sat down behind it. If I need more height I use a Manfrotto 475B.Heavy but it works well.

Here is the reply from DC-Stuff

"C-498 is not yet available, it's not yet produced by the Benro factory...

For those "systematic type" tripods of Benro, only C-397 is available for sale (at least in the whole China)." :(

Here is the reply from DC-Stuff

"C-498 is not yet available, it's not yet produced by the Benro factory...

For those "systematic type" tripods of Benro, only C-397 is available for sale (at least in the whole China)." :(

I'm guessing then that you might get the same answer when asking about the insertable geared centre-column, which looks to me to be the perfect tripod combination :love: I can't find one of those for sale anywhere.

Then again, while the basic 397 seems a bit short on paper, by the time you put a full gimbal on there it gets up to perfect height when standing up, unless you're six foot six.

Edit: the tripod in the DC-Stuff advert is headed 397, but the tripod illustrated is clearly the 397L which is 4-section instead of 3-section, and 19cm taller. I reckon you might be in luck (y)

Back