Hedgehogs

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been caring for four hedgehogs since October last year. They were all found in and around our garden and weighing in at less than 300g were far too small to survive hibernation. I kept them in the spare bedroom until they reached the required weight of 700g then moved them out to the garden shed where they were able to hibernate if they wanted to.
With the weather finally improving enough on Saturday evening I was able to release them into a fenced off section of the garden so that they could get used to their surroundings again. They will stay there for a few days before the fenced is removed and they can wander off into the big wide world again.
I managed to take a few pics before they are finally free.19-04-06-1.jpg19-04-06-3.jpg

Last edited:
First off- hats off to you for your caring dedication. Every one counts. Great little creatures and nicely photographed.

We had one visiting and we put out water and cat food for it (after a Google) Sadly a badger got it in next door’s garden a week later.

love hedgehogs, unfortunately one of our dogs seems to as well and not in a good way so has had a go at a couple of them when they have been in our garden when we let her out to go the loo before bed. Thankfully they lived and were just a little shaken and she had a bloody mouth from the spikes (serves her right). Lovely photos, well done you for helping them get through the winter!

Cheers for sharing Helen ,but more so for your efforts for the hogs,good for you mate !!

It must be quite hard setting them free but that's what it'd all about.

what what a rush to know YOU did this !!

stu

Well done you, we had to take 3 to the wildlife sanctuary in October all under 300g.
We currently have 7 visiting the garden every night and we try to weigh them every 2/3 weeks.

Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately badgers are one of the few predators that can open up a rolled up hedgehog. Our dog also gets quite excited when he sees one so we put him on a lead when we let him out for the loo after dark.
Its not hard at all to set them free, like you said Stuart that's what its all about, they are back where they belong, ready to go and sew their wild oats ( they are all male) and make the next generation of hogs.
Wow Trevor! Seven in one garden, good on you for keeping your eye on them. So long as they are 700g by the end of September they should be fine :D:D

Such a lovely story, good for you.
I've seen quite a few here and I've stopped them car a couple of times so I could move them.
I had two coming into my garden last summer for quite a few weeks

Well done you, so rarely see these now.

Back