Helios 44 Thread - Russia's Best Kept Secret?

In My days of film photography ( many moons ago:) ) I have seen Helios lens's match and out perform the expensive Sonnar lens's for sharpness and contrast.:)

So how can I attach a copy of this (brilliant) lens onto my Fuji X-T2 body ?? Any links or advice please of what I need or where to buy would be greatly appreciated (?)
What kind of price are they new, or best to buy second hand etc?

Thanks;
Peter

So how can I attach a copy of this (brilliant) lens onto my Fuji X-T2 body ?? Any links or advice please of what I need or where to buy would be greatly appreciated (?)
What kind of price are they new, or best to buy second hand etc?

Thanks;
Peter
Pete, think I've got a spare one in the cupboard, will check tomorrow. If I have its not a mint one but the glass is fine.

Peter, most of these lenses are m42 so you'd need an FX:m42 adaptor. New isn't an option, you might find one NOS but that's unlikely. You could probably find one attached to a Zenit for £10-£20 in a junk shop, otherwise the lens on it's own could be £15-£50 online (yes, coming with a Zenit body devalues the lens). I wouldn't pay more than £20 on eBay for a Helios 44.

If you Google this lens, there are pages and pages of information. The long thread on MFlenses details all the variations you might come across.

Pete, think I've got a spare one in the cupboard, will check tomorrow. If I have its not a mint one but the glass is fine.
Thanks Colin, appreciated! I've the next few days off etc...

Is the 44/2 a better bokeh machine compared to the 44/4....?....is there any real difference between the two from owners experience I wonder?
Do Helios make a 135mm version? I'd like that I think focal length wise.

Thanks;
Pete

Last edited:
Thanks Colin, appreciated! I've the next few days off etc...

Is the 44/2 a better bokeh machine compared to the 44/4....?....is there any real difference between the two from owners experience I wonder?
Do Helios make a 135mm version? I'd like that I think focal length wise.

Thanks;
Pete
Pete

There is a Helios 135mm lens, it's a 42mm mount f/2.8 but it is not a Russiam made product. It was manufactured in Japan and a was branded as Helios. There are plenty around and a price range of £40-70 is normal.EBay will be a start piint.

I have a Takumar 135mm which is a nice portrait lens.

In my experience there is little between the 44-2 and 44-4 except there is a more distict Bokeh on the earlier -2 model. Pricewise the -2 is the one you pay the most for.

@macvisual Just checked and I definitely still have an extra. As I said earlier it's not mint, has quite a few signs of wear but it works. It's a 44m-4

XT2A0933.JPG

XT2A0934.JPG

Unfortunately I don't have caps or a spare adapter for it. And no problem if it doesn't interest you, but if it does give me a shout.

OOh, coolio people still using Helios :D

Was just using mine other day, well, arsing about with it at least. I have the 44-2, I paid €52 for it delivered [around £44] - But it is a nice copy and in good nick. This is how it looks on my Xpro1 - the adapter is some cheap £10 one from ebay but works completely fine, and though it looks odd, it can produce some nice imagery. I need to use it more often really. I also have a 135 but a Carl Zeiss Jena, which also needs more love

Helios by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Just trying to get that swirly bokeh, need to mess about a bit more at that
Incoming green by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

I don't know about the Helios 135, but some adapted lenses look a bit better than others, as they fit the adapters more snuggly. This is the CZJ 135 I have, with the adapter attached:
Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5 on M42 to Fuji X adapter by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Last edited:
which camera do you use Keith? the Helios is M42 so M42 to whatever you have is the search criteria.

That's unfortunate! Nikon cameras will need an adapter with a correction lens to allow infinity focus as far as I'm aware. Unfortunately this will inevitably reduce the image quality from this super sharp lens :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I've not used Nikon cameras or adapters so maybe best if someone who has can recommend one for you.

That's unfortunate! Nikon cameras will need an adapter with a correction lens to allow infinity focus as far as I'm aware. Unfortunately this will inevitably reduce the image quality from this super sharp lens :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I've not used Nikon cameras or adapters so maybe best if someone who has can recommend one for you.

There are some adaptions that can be made to the lens which will allow it to focus to infinity, plenty of instruction on the internet that show how it's done

Well now, here's a turn up for the books !
A friend of mine was having a clear-out, and he rang me to say he had an old camera, and asked if I wanted it, if not, it was destined for the bin.
It's a Zenit B, with, yes you guessed it, a Helios 58mm 44-2.
It seems remarkably clean, both optically, and mechanically too.
It is totally manual, in that there is no stop down pin/lever, just a ring to stop the lens down.
I'm going to get an adapter to try it on my X Pro-1.
Fun times !!

A friend of mine was having a clear-out, and he rang me to say he had an old camera, and asked if I wanted it, if not, it was destined for the bin.
It is totally manual, in that there is no stop down pin/lever, just a ring to stop the lens down.
Fun times !!

It's one of those old lenses that has that weird double stop front aperture adjustment, not sure how to explain it. It has one ring to set aperture, and another to set the min/max ... for whatever reason. What I do is set the max aperture I desire on the front ring and then use the thinner, second ring to switch up and down. Also note, this is in reverse, you'll have to just get used to this ;)

As for adapters, I just got a cheap one like this: cheap ass adapter and it works brill

Last edited:
It's one of those old lenses that has that weird double stop front aperture adjustment, not sure how to explain it. It has one ring to set aperture, and another to set the min/max ... for whatever reason. What I do is set the max aperture I desire on the front ring and then use the thinner, second ring to switch up and down. Also note, this is in reverse, you'll have to just get used to this ;)

As for adapters, I just got a cheap one like this: cheap ass adapter and it works brill

Thanks for the link !
I realise it is a " preset " lens, but that doesn't bother me, as I intend to use it wide open anyway ! LOL
At a push I might even stop it down to 2.8, but it's all about the swirl with this lens.
In fact, I think I'll get a Nikon mount adapter too, and try it on the D 700.

Thanks for the link !
I realise it is a " preset " lens, but that doesn't bother me, as I intend to use it wide open anyway ! LOL
At a push I might even stop it down to 2.8, but it's all about the swirl with this lens.
In fact, I think I'll get a Nikon mount adapter too, and try it on the D 700.

I use it mostly wide open too, that's the point mostly with these old lenses ;) but they can be cracking stopped down a bit too

There are some adaptions that can be made to the lens which will allow it to focus to infinity, plenty of instruction on the internet that show how it's done

I put a Nikon mount onto one of mine to allow it to focus at infinity. Needs a bit of machining though.

DSCN0163.jpg

Steve.

Last edited:
Fun times !!
Get a cassette of film and use it as intended. Much more fun!

What? All five shutter speeds!

Oh, come on, I'll not allow that lie on this thread !

It's 6, if you include the "B" setting.:D

Actually, just finished cleaning it up, At first the view through it was very "misty", and a very dusty and dirty focussing screen and mirror.
It's cleaned up remarkably well. The lens is in very good condition, and the view is much improved now.

Still only 5 (6) speeds though.
I like a challenge !!

Back