Help get me started with portraits

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I am completely new to the art of portrait so I thought I would take the camera out on a family outing today and see if I could capture a couple of quick shots of my Daughter Mya. I have no idea where to start on the processing side of portraits :thinking: so any guidance would be gratefully received (y) Both shots have USM filter run and a little levelling but that is about it. The second shot seems to harsh but that is possibly the rubbish flash used? Basically any help you can offer on processing, framing, lighting etc just to get me thinking in the right direction would be gratefully received (y)

These were both taken with a Canon 40D and Sigma 18-200. Not the best lens I know but I am saving for a 24-70 and this is more discrete then my 35-350L

3376738389_61cf2e7295_o.jpg

Used built in flash - another future purchase
3377552952_afa177d006_o.jpg

Last edited:
I think they are both good shots but to be really picky and I aint no expert

1: the person/coat behind her is distracting and the DOF is a little to tight, I like to try and work out whats behind the model

2: Not bad effort really although looks like shes just come in from the cold and is a bit sniffely....

like the eyes in both shots ..well done

as for how to make better I would just say keep trying and they will get better.

Great pictures, technicaly not the best but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i bet you are as pleased as puch with these i know i would be if these were of my daughters. I think the only way you could inprove these is to go down the strobist route and control the light instead of shooting with available light alown.

Thanks for the comments guys. I will keep on trying a see what I get.

She certainly was a little sniffely, had to PS that out a little :LOL: and I see what you mean about the coat being distracting.

Lighting is probably the area I need to think about as the built in flash is too harsh. I'm not sure if there are any filters or tricks in PS that can help to soften the skin? Normally I am looking for sharpness with wildlife and sport togging but not sure if that is the point of portrait?

Cheers,
Andy

well cudos for trying mate and for wanting to learn..(y)

in all fairness you have a great model to start with which helps loads..

the 1st shot for me .

i like the pose " where she is looking " eye contact is not always needed imo.
the b/g is distracting but nothing a crop wont sort out

:naughty:
andyjay.jpg

the next one looks sharp but again watch b/g's and expressions..

md(y)

i look forward to more. and to seeing an improvement

Cheers for the advice and encouragement MD (y)

She is a great little model but keeping here still is always a problem, as I guess most parents find :LOL:

Yep I really liked that shot also, staring out of shot just seemed to work well.

I like the tighter crop (y) and I will try out some more soon, watch this space.

Best advice I can give is practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.... Another general rule is to stay away from clothing which will distract from the subject. The boggin in the first photo for instance. Lovely shot, but the more I look at the shot, the more I'm drawn to the logo. Keep the focus on the subject.

Good luck, bro. :)

Back