HELP!!! Lost photos Canon S95

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone help?
Been out today, snapping away a few holiday memories using Canon S95 and they've disappeared from the camera and memory card!!!
Have been reviewing the photos no problem after being taken, but then all of a sudden they seem to all have gone except a few photos from a few weeks back.
Took the card from the camera and looked on the laptop and there's just a a few from a couple weeks ago and a couple of last ones from today!
What have I done and is it possible that they are stored some where on in some file on camera or card? Any help please!!!!
Can't think of anything I've done wrong/touched/deleted????!!!!

There's 5 folders...
1st has one CR2 file
2nd has the 49 old photos from a few weeks back
3rd has a few from today
4th has two .CTG files
5th is empty...

:-(

ps that's looking at the card on the laptop!

I would suggest you install & try this programme which I have used successfully many times.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Thanks, DayDreamer...
Downloaded the free version and ran it...
...looked promising, seemed to find the missing files, saved to new folder, but now I can't seem to be able to open them to view. Icons there, but no program will open them (Media viewer, PSP, PS etc)
Will have to look closer in to the 'how to' documents with Recuva.

...unless you can help me with the problem!? ;)

Glad you found your files, I have an S95 and never had a problem with dissapearing files.

Read the small print with your free recovery software, sometimes you need the full version to actually recover the files, the freebie just shows you what is there to be recovered.

Hope you get it sorted.

David

Thanks, DayDreamer...
Downloaded the free version and ran it...
...looked promising, seemed to find the missing files, saved to new folder, but now I can't seem to be able to open them to view. Icons there, but no program will open them (Media viewer, PSP, PS etc)
Will have to look closer in to the 'how to' documents with Recuva.

...unless you can help me with the problem!? ;)

It is totally free unlike some you come across that let you download then show you a preview only but need to pay to recover. I've just ran on one of my SD cards and no problems in that it found 740 pics on a reformatted card and let me recover a selection to the folder of my choice with no problems. So not sure what to suggest unless you can find help as per link to Recuva help page. Sorry I don't have time to look at it now.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/recuva

I've had the same problem with recuva. It found the files and I can save them to a folder but I couldn't open them.

I trust you guys have the minimum requirements as per their web site?

-------------------------------------------------------------

System requirements

Recuva will run on any PC running Microsoft Windows 98 or later:
Windows 7 (all editions, including 64-bit)
Windows Vista (all editions, including 64-bit)
Windows XP (Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet Edition, 64-bit)
Windows 2003 and 2008 Server (all editions).
Windows 2000
Windows 98. (Support for Windows 98 stopped after version 1.31.437.)

If you're running 64-bit Vista or XP, the Recuva installation file will install a 64-bit version of Recuva.

Recuva is a small program that runs fast. There are no minimum memory or hard drive requirements.

Note: Recuva works on NTFS, FAT, and exFAT format drives. Recuva does not currently support Mac OS X or Linux.

Last edited:
Looking bleak. Ran the program a couple of times and as as said earlier, the files look like they are there but they won't open in any program!
Posted on the company webforum but no luck there either.
won't used the card again and will keep it for when some new info turns up.

What was the make of the memory card? if it was Sandisk they have a card recovery program

Realspeed

Have a look for a program called Digital Image Recovery, its free and works wonders it recovered over 1000 images from a card that my Laptop could not read. I tried at least 10 other programs none of which found anything. Oh and dont use the card until you have recovered your images or you might overwrite some of your missing images

Looking bleak. Ran the program a couple of times and as as said earlier, the files look like they are there but they won't open in any program!
Posted on the company webforum but no luck there either.
won't used the card again and will keep it for when some new info turns up.

I (or I'm sure other TP members) could try to open one of your files. I will PM my email address, if you wish, so you can send one of them to me for a go?

Have a look for a program called Digital Image Recovery, its free and works wonders it recovered over 1000 images from a card that my Laptop could not read. I tried at least 10 other programs none of which found anything. Oh and dont use the card until you have recovered your images or you might overwrite some of your missing images

Is it this it?

Not free though :shrug:

http://www.digitalimagerecovery.org/

Or you could try Avira Unerase.

It recovers pretty much anything on cards and computers.
It's free. I downloaded it from Majorgeeks.com

No Daydreamer thats another with the same name, if you want a copy pm me with an email address and I will send you a copy, its freeware so thats ok

Back