Help me! Move to M43 or not?!

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Need some help making a decision!

Debating making a full swap to M43 from Canon APS-C.

Recently purchased E-PL5 with twin zoom kit and have been really happy with the results and general usage.

Also getting tired of dragging round a big bag of lenses!

Current Canon kit:

600D

100-400 is

17-40 F4 L

Sigma:

10-20 F3.5 – 5.6

105mm macro F2.8 not hsm

24-70 f2.8 not hsm

If I bite the bullet I would get:

Olympus 75-300mm

Olympus 12-40mm**

I bought a Raynox DCR-250 and extension tubes for macro already which I have used on both the kit lenses.

Might also add OM-D Em10 body.

Not sure on wide lenses though? All seem to be fisheye which I don’t want!

** Cheaper alternative is the Sigma trio of primes and/or the Olympus 45mm prime, but I lose the low end that way.

What do you think?

Can I get the same quality from these lenses as the ones I have?

Focusing speed on the 75-300mm?

Other thoughts/opinions/suggestions on this?

I am also thinking of p/x which makes it easier to do but gets less for the kit.

Any ideas privately what prices I could sell for?

if you can afford to keep both for now as well as maybe buy a prime for the Oly then do that for now... at the min the Oly is your new toy that has surprised you RE IQ/focus speed and it is so much easier/lighter to carry around compared to your Canon set up so you are high on that, but it might subside.

I love mine don't get me wrong and since having my mirrorless cameras and Sigma DP3 I have not used a DSLR for personal use, I think they're great especially the e-pl5 but making a quick decision you might find yourself deep out of pocket in a few months.

Hi Andrew I made the switch from similar kit to olympus mft and I'm pleased I did , takes nothing to carry it lens choice is staggering , I'm a pleb but I'm vhappy with the iq . Dslrs are amazing if that's what you need but I don't think mft is 2nd best just a parallel IMHO and having a choice is a lovely position to be in surly :olympus::)

David, I know exactly what you mean, which was one of the reasons for my post.
It is too easy to get 'into' a new toy, although to be fair I have been looking for an alternative to the DSLR for a while, even though the purchase is recent.
I just wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is originally so was intending it just to be a backup/walkaround camera.

Thing is, a number of features across M43 suit me too. IS in all the bodies, though have to say seems less obvious en the E-Pl5 than expected. Also the ability to wireless control/transfer on other models I can see being really useful.

I could just get one or two primes and go from there. The main reason over the kit lens is I want wide aperture for DOF rather than low light. I think the Sigma 30mm or Olympus 45mm would be a good start.

On the other hand, regards Damions post. It does sound good being able to flick beween the two, but when I did that I ended up carrying two lots of kits, and taking twice as many photos. lol
Also, because I 'know' the Canon I ended up sticking more with it regardless of whether it was 'better'.

On a snobby note, i noticed I got more leeway with squeezing into gaps at a hill climb with the DSLR, than when I went round with the M43 later....

If as you say dragging around an full DSLR kit is stopping you taking it out,any advantage of it is lost and just sitting their is a waste :)

In 2011 I had a D700 that was sold to make way for a Sony NEX-7, I took more photos but had fewer 'keepers' due to the AF speed...

At the start of this year I purchased a D7100 and realised that a non-EVF camera really didn't appeal - I also didn't like the additional size and weight.

So, I'm now waiting for am E-M1 to turn up and hope that it's a keeper! :facepalm:

My new battery grip arrived today and first impression is it's made my omd just about perfecto
However I am very fickle and this May change :cool:

If you're into macro look up the 60 mm f/2.8 it's a stunning little lens.

I think you need to dump the old gen sigma glass and buy yourself a nice full frame.

That's exactly what he's planning to do, m4/3rds happens to be a 'full frame' system with native glass ;)

The 60mm Macro gives great results
Butterfly by Paul Silk Photography, on Flickr

The 75-300mm gives a equivalent reach of 600mm on 35mm so is good for distance or wildlife.
House Sparrow by Paul Silk Photography, on Flickr

I don't regret dumping my DSLR gear especially with my health issues and its easier to carry around a bag of gear that weighs about four pounds where as the equivalent DLR gear weighed about 15 pounds or more.
Of course that's me and your milage and wants may vary. :)

Again, thanks for the thoughts and feedback.
Don't get me started on 'full frame'. 35mm full frame that is! Lol.
Thought about it, but can't justify the cost and not sure it really gives me huge advantages over the 600d for me.
I am sure I would use the additional features also present on those bodies but don't feel I struggle now.
Agree about the old Sigma glass, especially the 24-70 as it is my most used lens. I have looked at replacing it, but the costs of that type of lens were one pof the factors that started me on the road to looking at M43.

That is a very nice result with the 60mm macro. It is/was one of the initial lenses to buy but I thought if the extension tubes and raynox are good enough I can hold off on that and use the money to buy the other equivalents to my Canon gear.
That sparrow shot really shows off the 75-300mm. Not sure I actually got anything that sharp with the 100-400 actually!

I've not committed to anything yet anyway.
I've found more advantages than disadvantages so far though!

As a stop gap, I ordered an old M42 screw thread 50mm f1.8 and adpator. Gives some good results from what I have seen elsewhere and gives me an idea of wide apertures etc.
Will be fun playing with manual aperture and focus :)

Hi Andrew

I off loaded my crop sensor Nikon gear for M43 stuff this year and I haven't regretted it once. I've kept my FF Nikon stuff but always find myself grabbing the M43 stuff for most personal things.

I've currently got an EM1 and it's an absolute joy to use. My D800e is an awesome camera but I get more pleasure from using the EM1. I can carry around, in total comfort, a focal range of 14-300mm (FF equivalent) spread over 3 lenses all in a Billingham Hadley Pro with room for a packed lunch.

It'll all go away on holiday with me this week. Previously I'd have been worried about leaving the FF stuff at home just in case "that shot" presented itself. But in all honesty anything I capture with the EM1 will be of superb quality and unless I end up printing it on 3' canvas (unlikely) I'll not regret it for a second.

I personally can't see any obvious difference between the results from my old D7000 and the EM1. People get far too preoccupied with pixel peeping rather than taking photos. I was guilty of it myself for a time.

I say go for it.

Good luck

Mark

Just backing up Paul's excellent examples

Here's another with the 75-300 and E-M1

And one with the 60 mm macro and E-M5

That fly is a stunner! Did you have to crop at all from the original?

Mark, and others who habe swapped.
Did you sell the DSLR equipment privately or go with a p/x and accept a certain loss on the value?

I've had a p/x value for mine and whilst it covers what M43 bits I want, I know I could get more privately, but then there is the hassle factor of selling bits and pieces here and there etc.

I moved from a Canon 1 series + L lenses to m4/3 3 years ago and have never looked back. I get so much more enjoymeny from using my current equipment than I ever did with my DSLR gear. I went the Panasonic route, so here is one with the GX7 + Panny 100-300

White Tailed Sea Eagle
by srhphoto, on Flickr

Moving to m4/3 also opened up the ability to use a huge array of legacy lenses. I now have a very nice collection of Canon FD glass that I use on my G6 and GX7. It's all fully manual, but huge fun to use :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Did you sell the DSLR equipment privately or go with a p/x and accept a certain loss on the value?

I've had a p/x value for mine and whilst it covers what M43 bits I want, I know I could get more privately, but then there is the hassle factor of selling bits and pieces here and there etc.

I sold my Canon gear through MPB. They gave me a price I was happy with (although no doubt lower than selling privately) and just took all the hassle away :)

Simon.

I sold mine in the classifieds on here, Andrew. I've bought and sold a fair bit through them and have always been pleased with what I've received/prices I've achieved.

Having said that I did p/x a 17-55 for my D800e through LCE and they gave me a fair price for it. You'll always get a favourable p/x value rather than just selling it to them and buying elsewhere.

Quick question.
I assume the 60mm Macro can be used as 'normal' 60mm fast lens too?

Yep also makes a decent portrait lens. ;)

original.jpg

I think I am close to taking the plunge.
Going to settle on:
75-300mm mkII
60mm macro
12-40 f2.8

i'll worry about a wide angle later. Maybe the 12mm?

Nice combination.

Olympus are working on a 7-14 in the same Pro class as the 12-40, if it's anything like their 4/3rds 7-14 SHG it will be stunning.
It will certainly be on my list, as will the forthcoming 300 f/4 and 40-150 f/2.8 :)

Last edited:
Nice combination.

Olympus are working on a 7-14 in the same Pro class as the 12-40, if it's anything like their 4/3rds 7-14 SHG it will be stunning.
It will certainly be on my list, as will the forthcoming 300 f/4 and 40-150 f/2.8 :)

I'm keeping an eye out for Olys 7-14 as well. I love the Panny version but if they've eliminated or significantly reduced the purple flare that you get with an Oly body it'll be a defo for me.

I have always had M4/3 but also had a FF 6D but have now just got M4/3 only. FF is brilliant as the images 'polish' up real nice and the DOF is nicer but the size and weight has always been a big issue. I now have a GX7 and OMD E-M5 and a small selection of quality glass and am really happy with the set-up. The GX7 is great but the E-M5 is amazing! I'm hoping to get the Panasonic 15mm f1.7 soon as a main walk about lens for the E-M5.

I look back on FF images longingly but If I took the same image at the same time with either of my M4/3 bodies I'm sure there would not be that much difference.

Is there an issue using the pan 7-14 on an oly body ? That will probably be my next purchase ?

Well, I did the deed :)
Macro lens to follow as not in stock but sending from another branch.
12-40 is a real corker.
Hopefully test the 75-300 a bit more tomorrow at Three Counties Show.
By the way anyone notice the 'intentional' mistake in my earlier post?
I suggested the 12mm for landscapes when I also got the 12-40mm. Lol
Getting my m43 and aps-c mixed up.
Interesting not above abot the Panasonic 7-14mm. Hadn't read that previously. Is it a big issue?

Osteospurmum by -ajf.350d-

Last edited:
Is there an issue using the pan 7-14 on an oly body ? That will probably be my next purchase ?

I guess to call it an issue is overstating it a bit, more something you have to bear in mind in certain situations.

The Oly body/Panny 7-14 combo is more susceptible to pronounced purple flare. Wide angle lenses are prone to flare of varying intensity anyway, particularly when pointing towards the sun. It just happens that the flare on this particular combo is very purple and therefore pretty obvious. A quick google will give you the some help to reduce it. I opted for one that allows you to drop a filter between the body and lens. The filter eliminates the particular UV light that causes the purpleness, reducing it's impact on the image.

Apparently, the Oly bodys' built in UV filter isn't as strong as their Panny counterparts and therefore the Oly firmware isn't quite in tune with the lens characteristics...................I think. I may have made that up :thinking:

Having said all that, I wouldn't let this put you off buying the lens. Overall I love using it, it's a brilliant little lens and the flare very, very rarely prevents me capturing an image. The Oly version would have to be a significant improvement in this regard to tempt me away from the Panny.

Well, I did the deed :)
Macro lens to follow as not in stock but sending from another branch.
12-40 is a real corker.
Hopefully test the 75-300 a bit more tomorrow at Three Counties Show.
By the way anyone notice the 'intentional' mistake in my earlier post?
I suggested the 12mm for landscapes when I also got the 12-40mm. Lol
Getting my m43 and aps-c mixed up.
Interesting not above abot the Panasonic 7-14mm. Hadn't read that previously. Is it a big issue?

Osteospurmum by -ajf.350d-

Thats a rather lovely image Andrew, congratulations on the kit BTW.
The 12-40 is a class act, Oly have a knack of producing quality zooms (and primes).

I sold my Canon gear through MPB. They gave me a price I was happy with (although no doubt lower than selling privately) and just took all the hassle away :)

Simon.

So you clearly accepted a far lower price and consider that to be a favourable outcome. Oh well, I really don't understand some people...

So you clearly accepted a far lower price and consider that to be a favourable outcome. Oh well, I really don't understand some people...

Getting the best deal possible is not the biggest priority to everyone. Same goes for getting the best possible image quality, I reminded myself of this last week whilst lugging a DSLR, big zoom and baby around the zoo :D

What I was offered or was prepared to accept is none of your business. I could explain the non financial benefits to the deal, but frankly I'd just be wasting my time.

I don't understand people who feel the need to make deliberately provocative statements on forum threads. You seem to make a habit of it.

Im with Simon on this one,i always sell at a loss just because I can't be bothered hassling over a few quid when i can sell same day and be done with it.
I was always told i get my money too easily though :)

Back