Help needed with filters

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
I looking at getting some ND GRAD filters but there seem to be so many I don't know what to get.

They are square so obviously I need some sort of adapters to make them fit my lens.

I have a Sigma 17-70mm (72mm diameter filter) and Canon 70-200 f4 L with a 67mm diameter.

What do I need to buy, bearing in mind that I have never used them before.

From what I understand I would need different adapters for each lens, the filter holder and the filters.

What ND GRAD filters do you recommend as a start, as I believe they come different strengths which you can also double up if needed.

Firstly, what do you want to use them for? I'm assuming landscapes?

If you do a search, this has been asked loads of times in the past and the posts will contain all the info you need.
As a starter have a look at the Cokin, HiTech and Lee filter systems (listed in ascending expensiveness).
you'll need a filter holder, adaptor ring for each thread size your lenses use, and a set filter or two.
you'll also need to decide what size you need, 85mm (Cokin P) or 100mm but this will depend on the lenses you intend getting (some will vignette with the 85mm filters).
Have you thought about adding a polarizer as well?

This will probably lead to more questions, but if you do a search on some of the names, brands etc... listed about, you should find most of your answers.

Grads have almost no effect on long lenses, so that's that sorted.

Then get yourself a 2 stops soft-cut ND Grad and see how you get on. It's all I ever use but then I'm not a filter fetishist ;)

If you kit out to go with the bigger filter size on your wide lens, then it will be fine to step down on your longer lens if you want to use other filters.

Is there really any need for a 2 stop grad when you can just bracket and merge in pp?

Is there any need to bracket and merge in PP when you can just use a grad?

And while the effect is similar in principle, they usually look quite different.

QUOTE]

Well said, old man....:clap:

But seriously, this question comes up so often that a search will get you lots of info. (much of it contradictory!)

You don't necessarily need a holder for square filters. If you're just starting and wondering whether you're going to get much use out of a filter system, just hold the filter against the rim of the lens. The camera will need to be on a tripod, but you have one of these, don't you?

For landscapes , a polariser is essential.

And while the effect is similar in principle, they usually look quite different.

Fair enough. Just asking. :)

Back