Help - OEM Triangle Split Ring for Camera Strap - any brand

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.

I need a pair of replacement Triangle Split Rings, the ones supplied for strap connection. These are for my Nikon Z7 but I imagine any major brand - Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony etc., would do.

I've tried ordering from Amazon but it's all cheap China-made rubbish. I got these and the rings themselves are much thinner than the OEM versions and the plastic on one split immediately.

Maybe I'm searching using the wrong terms but I can't turn these up as orderable accessories on any of the main sites?

Thanks in advance!

Are they not usually part of the strap "assembly"?

Not since I had an AE-1 that I remember - anyway Carmarthen Camera have Hama branded ones for £3.99+post

Not since I had an AE-1 that I remember - anyway Carmarthen Camera have Hama branded ones for £3.99+post
Thanks, checked these out but they don't have the plastic bits that I assume ease wear and tear on the attached PD loops. My Fuji cameras had leather instead of plastic, presumably serving the same purpose.

Found these - might try the Fuji versions with the leather as I see at least one reviewer complaining about the weak plastic of the Nikon versions.

Thanks, checked these out but they don't have the plastic bits that I assume ease wear and tear on the attached PD loops. My Fuji cameras had leather instead of plastic, presumably serving the same purpose.
The plastic is to stop the strap working round the split ring and the split ring working round the lug on the camera, potentially opening up the split ring. As far as I know the leather things are more to stop the split rings rubbing on the camera body and taking the finish off, but will also stop slippage.

If you are using PD anchor loops, why use the little triangles at all, mine are fastened through the camera lugs?

If you are using the PD loops, you should not be using the triangles anyway, you should be using the oval PD rings.

If you are using PD anchor loops, why use the little triangles at all, mine are fastened through the camera lugs?
I tried this previously, my PD loops are too thick to fit through the camera lugs ...

The plastic is to stop the strap working round the split ring and the split ring working round the lug on the camera, potentially opening up the split ring. As far as I know the leather things are more to stop the split rings rubbing on the camera body and taking the finish off, but will also stop slippage.

To stop this, I slip a bit of heat shrink round the rings until it covers the gap.

To stop this, I slip a bit of heat shrink round the rings until it covers the gap.
Had never heard of this. Cheap enough too from Amazon, might give it a go. Any particular size that works best?

Depends on the thickness of the split rings! As tight a fit as will go over the whole ring before shrinking. On key rings, I sometimes add a second layer of the heat shrink (if I remember to slip it on before I shrink the first layer...), over lapping the ends of the first layer by a few mm.

For a tenner, post free, I'll take two off a Nikon for you. No plastic bits unless I can find some hiding in a drawer. :LOL:
That’s a decent offer. I’d go for it if you can find the plastic bits and they are definitely OEM.

That’s a decent offer. I’d go for it if you can find the plastic bits and they are definitely OEM.
Like I said, I'll take them off a D780. I'll look for plastic bits later, but I tend to break them so they might have gone in the bin.

Back