Wild Help With ID please poss Wood Warbler

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been told it could be a juvenile Willow Warbler, still not 100% sure though, if there are any twitchers could confirm please I'd appreciate it :)

it is the usual WW v CC debate

all I will say is that it has dark legs - WW's generally have pale legs
but the supercilium is quite distinct and the primary projection look longer = WW
and it looks bigger than a CC - although difficult from an image
It does not look like a CC to me …….. or a Willow Warbler

you did not hear it sing

sorry I'm talking a load of b*****ks, you said Wood Warbler …….. I've never seen one

Last edited:
it is the usual WW v CC debate

all I will say is that it has dark legs - WW's generally have pale legs
but the supercilium is quite distinct and the primary projection look longer = WW
and it looks bigger than a CC - although difficult from an image
It does not look like a CC to me …….. or a Willow Warbler

you did not hear it sing

sorry I'm talking a load of b*****ks, you said Wood Warbler …….. I've never seen one

Well that cleared it up Bill LOL :D

Well that cleared it up Bill LOL :D

I do my best Ian - at least it is in the "Wild and Free Section" - but someone from the senior Bird section will come along to sort it out

To confuse you even more to me the shape of the head looks more Hippolais than Phylloscopus ….. but there are no Hippos in the UK

WW, CC and Wood W are all Phylloscopus family ……. so I am going around in circles …. I (we) need an ID from someone who is familiar with them and knows what they are talking about

Last edited:
I've only once knowingly seen a Wood Warbler and it was strikingly more yellow than any Willow or ChiffChaff I have seen and was very similar to the one you have here. Not a positive I'd tho but when I first saw your pics Wood Warbler was my first thought.

Thank you Brash, the bird was strikingly yellow different to any Warblers I'd seen before, I discounted Chiffchaff straight away as I see plenty of those, and their colours are a lot less bold but I could be wrong :)

Looks just like a Juvenile Willow Warbler according to my Collins Guide to British Birds :)

"typically pale, but the odd birds occur with legs almost as dark as a Chiffchaff"

Back