Help with ID please

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
This chap was flitting about between some parked cars and walking under them, the car park was in a wooded area. Because of the cars, it made it difficult to get a decent shot, he seemed to be using the cars to shelter under.
My thoughts are that its a leuchistic Jackdaw, but I could be a mile off. The shape of the beak and head, plus of course, the body shape are what's guiding me.
Have you any other thoughts please.

8Y4A0621_Leuchistic Jackdaw_10-12-14 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Y4A0618_Leuchistic Jackdaw_10-12-14 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Trev

Isn't it a young Crow?

Jackdaws have evil eyes

Last edited:
Forehead and eye doesn't look right for a jackdaw, unless it's a juvenile, Trev but I'm not certain what it is.

Trev

Isn't it a young Crow?

Jackdaws have evil eyes
That was my first thought Bill, it still could be, but this was taken only yesterday, its a bit late in the year for a young one I thought. Crows have a flatter crown than a Jackdaw, they have a fairly bulbous crown, plus the light blueish/grey ring around the retina. As I said, I could be wrong. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Carrion Crow. The end!!

Cheers guys. looking at my reference books, the forehead on this one looks too high for a crow? which is why I went for Jackdaw, but maybe that isn't a guide really. What do you make of the almost white wing feathers? Do you think it could still be a juvenile at this time of the year?

Cheers guys. looking at my reference books, the forehead on this one looks too high for a crow?
That was my thought too, but I wouldn't like to "call it" either.

Although I have seen other scrawny looking corvids, looking rather like that,
when they have eaten something or been drinking the leachate (it seems to stunt their growth)
on landfill sites, just about the time they drop dead.

Did it seem healthy?

the more I look at it, the more it can only be a crow

FFS!! Listen to yer uncle Brashie.

FFS!! Listen to yer uncle Brashie.
I reckon it's a juv Crow as I said in post #2 ... you didn't wake up until #6 ....... but I suppose it takes some time for the electricity to reach AlexLand

Last edited:
It's a Jackdaw;)

No it's not a Jackdaw

It's a crow - just like this one

Jackdaw-edit.jpg

Last edited:
Did it seem healthy?

Difficult to say, but it did look scruffy, and while its movements didn't look difficult, its overall appearance wasn't right, so overall it didn't look normal based on the short time that I saw it.

The consensus here seems to be a crow, but there is still the colouring, do you think it could be leuchistic or just an unhealthy thing that's causing it.

Last edited:
Difficult to say, but it did look scruffy, and while its movements didn't look difficult, its overall appearance wasn't right, so overall it didn't look normal based on the short time that I saw it.

The consensus here seems to be a crow, but there is still the colouring, do you think it could be leuchistic or just an unhealthy thing that's causing it.
I'm taking the middle ground and saying sick corvid ;)

I think that it needs more headroom to get a positive ID and space to the right

Ok, its a sick corvid, with parotitis having a bad hair day after having its highlights done, oh yes, and taking a P**s :thinking:, at least I can say its a bird :D
Thanks for all your decisive thoughts :rolleyes: :LOL:

Last edited:
I thought this was a Kingfisher
Nope its black and white so has to be a magpie
Actually on second thoughts, its a wag-tail

Definitely not a Kingfisher, a KF doesn't have a long pointed black beak... does it?

I reckon Rob will be chuffed with his idea :facepalm: :D

And thanks Jeremy, might get more sense there :rolleyes: :LOL:

The first two pics are of a juvenile rook. They don't acquire the white base to their bill until they are fully mature. Just thought I would share that with y'all.

Back