Heroes on parade

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of pics from the other day in Northampton.
They are the 9th & 12th Lancers
tp337.JPG

tp50.JPG

tp257.JPG

very smart indeed, makes you proud to be British.
Good quality photographs, what lens?

I wouldn't call them great shots at all, the first two give you nothing to concentrate on and the last one seems soft.

Did you get any of the band Gerodie?

great to see people turning out for them - they deserve it

Great shots btw (y)

Northampton was good, but Leicester beats all. 20,00 people out there...and free beer and curry afterwards :love:

Last edited:
You can just see me in numbers 1 and 2...I'm the one in the tiger-skin pyjamas :LOL:

Edit: For anyone interested, the band is the Light Cavalry Band, based in Dorset. Uniforms are traditional cavalry. The Director of Music (Marching at the front with his baton) is in traditional Lancer's battle dress, the band are wearing traditional Hussar's battle dress.

Last edited:
being quite new to photography what would you have concentrated on in taking those pics
Quite new to photography? These are snaps, surely you've taken holiday snaps before unless you're a youngster, it's never easy to tell on the internet.

As for the group thing I'd try to get them all or just the one of them and not a small group. Being behind some kind of cordon limits what you can do and has therefore produced results which certainly aren't "great photos", a compliment which gets bandied around far too often on here.

Quite new to photography? These are snaps, surely you've taken holiday snaps before unless you're a youngster, it's never easy to tell on the internet.

As for the group thing I'd try to get them all or just the one of them and not a small group. Being behind some kind of cordon limits what you can do and has therefore produced results which certainly aren't "great photos", a compliment which gets bandied around far too often on here.
yes quite new to photography,and unless you are semi pro or pro or been doing it for some time you could class these as 'snaps' and yes your right I have taken holiday snaps even though I am quite young.:)

A bit harsh in your crit 'tigerimages' although there is truth in what you say. On the other side of the coin... you've captured the colours of the parade rather nicely, and with a bit of PP #2 of the band could be pulled higher towards tigerimages expectations LOL.

I'm not sure what lens you had on your D40 as to how much more control you could have had on the DoF to achieve a bit more separation frm the BG?

Edit:

A very quick play with lens blur and 3 masks... any improvement :shrug:

tp515Shopped.jpg

Last edited:
easy tiger (sorry I had to) everyone starts somewhere and I didn't think that was how TP was run

To bring something out of a picture you want a shallower depth of field to make it the centre of attention. To reduce DoF try to increase the aperture (small number) and increase the focal length, much easier said than done with slow glass (been there) but generally I find myself shooting tele a lot so the 200mm end of your sigma though 200 /f5.6 will still give you a fair old depth of field.
Filling the frame with something works too, but in such a circumstance getting close could be a problem (I currently have a 200mm long end and find it limiting at times for this reason). Aggressive cropping might work, like in the first shot cropping into the guy on the top of the tanks face and making it portrait would make a more interesting picture, here you will encounter problems of not having much to crop and potential noise and softness issues.

Hope some of that's useful
David

Let's just say that some dish out crit a little more sensitively than others hey ;)

Nothing wrong with crit at all, and even Tiger's comments would have been ok...had he backed them up and offered advice such as David's.

Nothing wrong with crit at all, and even Tiger's comments would have been ok...had he backed them up and offered advice such as David's.

Absolutely, crit is what these sections are all about, but some people need to remember that it is offered to help and also encourage people. To be fair 'tiger' did offer his advice on how things could be improved. Still, it's a forum and we are all different. I guess I'm just saying that some poeple's comments can put people off from posting, which in any forum is a shame.

It put me off for a while, people can bne quite harsh, with the best intentions of course. But I digress...

I wouldn't like to comment on the images, any views I offer would be biased :LOL:

I really dont give a flying t*&^^ the shots show the lads back home and on parade ...thats what matters very good shots:clap::clap:

urgh gawd, this is a photography forum isn't it? They aren't "very good shots", yes it's great that they're back, yes we're proud of our armed forces and it's great that they've returned home and are parading but lets not lose sight of the facts that these in photographic terms aren't "very good"!

I'm sorry if I sound harsh or rude but my criticism is aimed at those people who bandy "very good shots" around as a description to photographs which clearly aren't.

Last edited:
Then why not offer something like this?

To bring something out of a picture you want a shallower depth of field to make it the centre of attention. To reduce DoF try to increase the aperture (small number) and increase the focal length, much easier said than done with slow glass (been there) but generally I find myself shooting tele a lot so the 200mm end of your sigma though 200 /f5.6 will still give you a fair old depth of field.
Filling the frame with something works too, but in such a circumstance getting close could be a problem (I currently have a 200mm long end and find it limiting at times for this reason). Aggressive cropping might work, like in the first shot cropping into the guy on the top of the tanks face and making it portrait would make a more interesting picture, here you will encounter problems of not having much to crop and potential noise and softness issues.

Hope some of that's useful
David

Instead of telling a beginner that they look like holiday snaps. I know I wouldn't take kindly to being told that. I'm not saying the images are very good, there's plenty of room for improvement, but perhaps suggesting how to improve instead of pretty unconstructive crit would be more help?

1. I replied in response to the person that originally said that they were "very good"
2. Being "new" is no excuse and if they are "new" then blinding them with science isn't going to help.
3. They do look like holiday snaps. I'll bet there were others lining the streets with cameras taking exactly the same.

tiger, wind your neck in and either learn to post with some decency and respect or don't post at all, there's absolutely no need to be so rude and derisory.

I seem to remember that you like to give it the big 'I am' when someone says your photo's aren't that special. Not as easy taking crit as you are giving it are you?

If you want to give bad-ass, no holds barred, harsh critique....then go into the in-depth critique forum.

Allow me to remind you of your OWN words.

I consider using the word "snaps" to describe photographs on a photography forum as derogatory.

You've been suspended for being rude before, don't let it escalate to a permanent ban.

I wouldn't call them great shots at all, the first two give you nothing to concentrate on and the last one seems soft.

I find offering your chips around rather than wearing them on your shoulder makes you more friends..... :baby:

Absolutely dont mind crit at all but as you say offering advise as well is a big help

Don't suppose you've got any you can see me in have you Geordie? (I was wearing the tiger skin and a chuffin great drum :D)

tiger, wind your neck in and either learn to post with some decency and respect or don't post at all, there's absolutely no need to be so rude and derisory.

I seem to remember that you like to give it the big 'I am' when someone says your photo's aren't that special. Not as easy taking crit as you are giving it are you?

If you want to give bad-ass, no holds barred, harsh critique....then go into the in-depth critique forum.

Allow me to remind you of your OWN words.

You've been suspended for being rude before, don't let it escalate to a permanent ban.
I'd rather be insulted than ignored. If I take the time to post photos to your forum then getting nil replies is rather disheartening.

At the same time it irks me when someone posts "great photos" in reply to those which simply aren't.

I'm not rude, just honest :clap:

A bit harsh in your crit 'tigerimages' although there is truth in what you say. On the other side of the coin... you've captured the colours of the parade rather nicely, and with a bit of PP #2 of the band could be pulled higher towards tigerimages expectations LOL.

I'm not sure what lens you had on your D40 as to how much more control you could have had on the DoF to achieve a bit more separation frm the BG?

Edit:

A very quick play with lens blur and 3 masks... any improvement :shrug:

tp515Shopped.jpg

This is a greatly improved the original image.
Nicely done.

Spence

Thank you. It's a shame this thread got a bit side-tracked.

For me there are a few shots here that, with not very long in PP, could be improved with a bit of separation from their surroundings. Sometimes it's nice to have an overview of the whole occasion, but it is then easy to end up with no real point of interest.

I would urge the OP to take a look back through their shots from the day and maybe pick out elements that could be made the shot's focus and have a good old play in Photoshop or smilar. My PP skills are very limited, but it's a part of the process I enjoy. Ok, with a nice fast bit of glass you are able to achieve better results in-camera, but we are not all in that position.

Nice shots but as others have pointed out some are hard to look at when the DOF is that high. They came past the back of my office that day but I had no forewarning they'd be parading so did not bring camera in.

Nothing wrong with crit at all

The word 'constructive' would fit nicely in there though :LOL:

Last edited:
At the same time it irks me when someone posts "great photos" in reply to those which simply aren't.

In my opinion they were great, I didn't say technically great or anything like that - I'm not 'technically' qualified to offer criticism, I liked the shots, simple as that

Back