Heron vs Moby Dick

Name
jon
Edit My Images
No
Not very good quality images as the action was a bit out of reach of my lens, but quite amazing to witness.

The bulge at the back of the Heron's neck is the start of the Pikes head
HERONGrey20110306002.jpg

The heron took his catch to shallower water & held it under for quite a while before dragging on to land
HERONGrey20110306004.jpg

Then managed to swallow a good proportion before raising his head up for gravity to help it down the hatch

HERONGrey20110306005.jpg

HERONGrey20110306007.jpg

All without a portion of chips & dollop of tartar sauce

Jeebus! That is very impressive indeed. Great find and well shot. I find herons very photogenic in their own way and they do have a habit of doing interesting things like eating massive pike!

great work their.. If the Heron could fly after that feed fair play to him......:clap:

Great capture and it looks as if that is one Pike less in that water.

Regards: Gordon

Was thinking "eye's bigger than belly" when i saw the first shot. Now its just "greedy bugger" As an angler i get to see plenty of herons out stalking, but i've never seen one take a fish that size before. Fair play to him, and great images, thanks for sharing :)

Cracking sequence....

Really love to get a similar set...

not sure I could manage a whole fish that size at one sitting.

Which I find surprising considering the size of your gob Ken :D ;)
Great set of natural shots Jon (y)

A great sequence, and an amazing spectacle! Poetic justice for the Pike me thinks!

real nice set of pic's there.. how long did it take him to get it all down ?

Thanks for all your comments.

great work their.. If the Heron could fly after that feed fair play to him......:clap:
Yep he did manage a short flight to another island and when he landed, I kid you not, his left leg seemed to buckle. He then slunk away to have a rest in some thicker vegetation probably to consider where best to get some gaviscon.

real nice set of pic's there.. how long did it take him to get it all down ?
Probably just over five minutes but seemed a lot longer waiting for him to lift his head up & cursing that he didn't catch it closer to hide.

Well caught. It's a wonder the pike didnt bite back and eat its way out.
(y)

right time at the right place or visa versa great capture ,
all the best
mick
thought about seeing if any mags or papers interested?

Fantasic record - As others have said - right place - right time.

I've done a lot of pike fishing over the years and know how their teeth work and once they get hold then they take some shifting. I've no idea about the inside of a heron's throat but whilst on the river bank I've seen them gag and 'give up' on smaller less hostile meals than this chap enjoyed.

Heron was either a dab hand or Pike was resigned to being lunch - certainly not the norm so you did well.

Last edited:
Back