Wild He's Back

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
Up until March 12th i had just been visiting the little owls territory (site) watching and observing when daylight allowed,however March 12th was the first night i watched them pair up and mate ,plenty of calling going on as well,no chance for photos but another year to add on to my previous 7 at watching these hardy little birds ,with the weather being a touch better these last few days i have spent a lot longer sat in the hide mainly watching a pair of kestrels just across from the owls roosting spot making lots of noise which looks like they could be pairing up again as well,anyway tonight was a special night as i had my first eye to eye with the Male little owl in breeding season ,very hard to explain what it felt like but those wet ,windy,cold days of going down in the dark bumping in to sheep and cows getting stuck in mud and many other issues made tonight all worth while ,not perfect i know but i am just sharing my joyLittle owl April 16th 2014 by den9112, on Flickr

That's excellent.(y)

Now I don't know if you put the rodent on the post, or if the owl landed there with it. It doesn't matter to me in terms of the shot, but I'm intruiged because I don't see owls and don't know their behaviour. This chap 'looks' like he's landed there to pick-up a gift, but maybe they bring their prey to a post(?) - I really don't know - hence the question.

That's excellent.(y)

Now I don't know if you put the rodent on the post, or if the owl landed there with it. It doesn't matter to me in terms of the shot, but I'm intruiged because I don't see owls and don't know their behaviour. This chap 'looks' like he's landed there to pick-up a gift, but maybe they bring their prey to a post(?) - I really don't know - hence the question.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/new-little-owl-thread-with-a-bit-of-info.500682/

Looks like he is saying do you want some. You definitely have a connection with these owls. Brilliant shot and thanks for sharing all your time and effort with us.

Reactions: den
Hi Den
Nice to see he / she is back a very nice image by the way :agree: hopefully the one we had around last year will show back up now it is warming up a bit.
Keep up the good work
Regards
Richard

Last edited:
Hi Den
Nice to see he / she is back a very nice image by the way :agree: hopefully the one we had around last year will show back up now it is warming up a bit.
Keep up the good work
Regards
Richard
Thanks ..this is the male bird 100% as i just watched him on the back of the female ,he usually goes off in a different direction but on this occasion he went on a ledge above me then down on to the post

Hi Den
I wondered how you were sure it was the male. Look forward to seeing some more good images of him
Regards
Richard

That's excellent.(y)

i have shots (somewhere in my files) of buzzards on posts with prey, short eared owls the same and kestrels as well so i would suggest that its normal behaviour amongst raptors .and i can state with 100% certainty that all shots are genuine wild birds with live wild prey .

nice shot b.t.w den

You know what they say Den, no pain no gain, the rewards for your time & dedication, a nice shot.

Alan is on holiday,
any more smart arsed remarks and there will be a few more too!!

Looks like he is saying do you want some. You definitely have a connection with these owls. Brilliant shot and thanks for sharing all your time and effort with us.

I agreed with the connection, but I thought perhaps the owl wanted to share. Then a little while later, I realised you didn't mean "do you want some" in the threatening aggressive manner...

I share your sentiment, it is like to old friends meeting again :) Den and the bird..

Again I have tidied the thread,
Yes we can clearly see that its a mouse is not a wild mouse,
probably sourced from Honeybrooks.
Where I buy my raptor food.

You see that line?
--------------------------------------
;)

Last edited:
Thanks Dan ,I wish people would understand that I don't care what post ,what rock etc the bird is on as I can sit in site all day long and be at peace with myself ,the photographs are a bonus as I have been watching them a lot longer than I have been photographing them

I agreed with the connection, but I thought perhaps the owl wanted to share. Then a little while later, I realised you didn't mean "do you want some" in the threatening aggressive manner...

I share your sentiment, it is like to old friends meeting again :) Den and the bird..

Too much time spent on Street Photography Dan.... haha thinking everyone is out to get you. lol

Again I have tidied the thread,
Yes we can clearly see that its a mouse is not a wild mouse,
probably sourced from Honeybrooks.
Where I buy my raptor food.

You see that line?
--------------------------------------
;)

With all due respect it may be clear to someone who knows but to the likes of me, with no knowledge of such things, its far from clear.
I've avoided posting but have continually watched the thread to find out if it was put there or carried by the owl.
Thats the end of the "bird" section for me as continually there's niggling, for me it brings the friendly feeling of the forum down and won't encourage people to post or voice opinions.
Alan answered a question that someone had asked that hadn't been answered before, but i guess theres to much "history"

Maybe i'm out of order, or maybe others see it the same

With all due respect it may be clear to someone who knows but to the likes of me, with no knowledge of such things, its far from clear.
I've avoided posting but have continually watched the thread to find out if it was put there or carried by the owl.
Thats the end of the "bird" section for me as continually there's niggling, for me it brings the friendly feeling of the forum down and won't encourage people to post or voice opinions.
Alan answered a question that someone had asked that hadn't been answered before, but i guess theres to much "history"

Maybe i'm out of order, or maybe others see it the same
Martyn, there was no need for that post.
Den has explained it,
I have explained it.
And quite frankly I don't see how or why it matters.
The subject of the mouse is closed.

Yes there is far too much bitching and digging in the
bird section, we are quite frankly we are fed up with it.
There have been enough warnings including a statement from a mod and admin
at the top of the section.
From now on there will be zero tolerance.

Back