Hi, new to Digital SLR

Name
Brett
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Talkphotography, :wave:

Very good forum with stacks of info and I can`t beleive how good the photos that get posted are. :)

I had a Minolta 35mm Auto SLR a few years ago and have just bought a secondhand Canon 40D DSLR.

I`ve got a couple of newbie questions on Canon lenses to fit the 40D :

Am I right in saying that all Canon EF and EFS lenses will fit the 40D ?

What is the difference between the EF & EFS ?

Can Auto Focus lenses from a 35mm Auto SLR be used on the 40D with an Adapter ?
Iv'e seen an item listed as a :Canon FD Lens to EOS Adapter for 5D 40D XSi XTi XT 30D ( I take it this is used for this )

If it is, is it worth it ( I can get hold of some Auto 35mm SLR canon lenses )

Ive got a EF 28-200mm 3.5 -5.6 USM lens if I was to purchase another lens what sort would be a good one to start with.
( I`ve seen a lot of threads about the Nifty Fifty ??? )

Sorry for all the questions :bonk:
Brett

hi there and welcome

Many Thanks everyone.

That guide explains a few things ref EF/EFS Lenses.

Does anyone know any answers to the other questions.

Sorry :help:

don't know much about FD lenses, but a lot of film slr's had EF lenses (later ones) and all EF lenses are good.

I have no idea about minolta adaptors but you will almost certainly lose AF

With regards to new glass it depends on what ya wanna shoot. 200mm is 320mm in film terms and a bit short for most wildlife.

The nifty fifty is a 50 mm (80mm film) f1.8 cheap as chips lens (also the f1,4 and 1.2 versions but they're less cheap :D) it's a great place to play with a prime or to get some low light shots, or use the aperture to reduce DoF. It's one of my favorite lenses (I use it as a walk about), but others don't love it so much I'd hold fire and see what you want to shoot and decide where your kit limits you.

As for the sort of pics I will be taking :

I race radio controlled cars both 1/10th Offroad and 1/12th oval.

Im finding at a tad difficult to get any decent photos.

These do travel at quite a speed

Back