High Contrast B&W Landscape

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first ever submission of any photo I have taken. I am very interested in B&W and contrast and this is a photo that I thought was very dull and boring straight from the camera but I quite like it now after the conversion to B&W.

Please don't hold back on your comments, I am very willing to listen and learn.

IMG_1726.jpg

I had the wrong lens with me, would have liked a wider lens but that will teach me. It also looks like the horizon if slightly off but (believe me:D ) it isn't, there was a slope on the hills from left to right.

Regards
Martin

First impressions are that the stripe of "snow covered" tree/things in the midground are distracting.

If I look either side of this then the shot works

Here's the original (totally untouched other than resized) so you can see what I had to play with.

IMG_1726-original.jpg

oldgit, many thanks for what is the first ever comments I have received. Point noted mate, I see where you are coming from.:)

Regards
Martin

This is my first ever submission of any photo I have taken.

Oooh fresh blood! :naughty:

Please don't hold back on your comments,

And he wants a grilling! :woot:

Although compositionally the shot is a little weak, your B&W treatment makes the best of it. The layers work reasonably well. You could play around a bit more and get more out of this shot but perhaps better going back one day with that wide lens you forgot.

Pic needs a border but not sure about the one you used.

This is just one opinion remember, keep submitting as we will want to see more! (y)

And he wants a grilling! :woot:

:

I've got broad shoulders and don't cry too often.:(

Thanks for the comments mate, I agree with the composition (crap really, I need slapping for forgetting the wide lens).

I'll also take on board comments re the border. (I've just found out how to do this one so I may be over using it:bonk: )

Cheers mate.

Regards
Martin

i like it but the trees do appear to have a bit of a lean to them, are you sure that it is not slightly wonky.

I agree, they do appear to lean, but they are like that.(Honest:D ) I would(Should???) have straightened it in PS if they weren't like that but I do agree with you.

Thanks for the comments

Martin

Martin I reckon you've done a good conversion there considering what you had to play with. It's bit contrasty, but the original is so low in contrast it's probably the better for it.

Not keen on the framing though! ;)

Not a bad shot for first one Martin ... you should see what some of us put up first time around ...:LOL:

It's a big step and you have shown distinct ability in both taking and processing ...(y)

Listen to the good guys here ... (if you can work out who they is :naughty: ) ... and you can only go one way m8 ...:D

Frame doesn't add much to it for me either ... imo ...:shake:

:p

Martin I reckon you've done a good conversion there considering what you had to play with. It's bit contrasty, but the original is so low in contrast it's probably the better for it.

Not keen on the framing though! ;)

Thanks for the kind words:love: I'll have to try to find another border that I can do though.:D

Regards
Martin

Not a bad shot for first one Martin ... you should see what some of us put up first time around ...:LOL:

It's a big step and you have shown distinct ability in both taking and processing ...(y)

Listen to the good guys here ... (if you can work out who they is :naughty: ) ... and you can only go one way m8 ...:D

Frame doesn't add much to it for me either ... imo ...:shake:

:p

Thanks again mate for the kind words, it makes me want to get out there and improve and post some more work.

Frame??? yes I can see where you and everyone else is coming from.:shake: Will take it on board and see what I can come up with.

Regards
Martin

I don't comment on black and white pictures as they don't do much for me generally. Have to agree there is not much going for the colour original here though.

As has been said your shot does look rotated. Tried a quick edit...

IMG_1726.jpg

That was 4 degrees. I think it may need a little more to look right.

;)

Thanks Robert, does look better and not as wonky. I must go back to the place and double check that I don't need my glasses changing.:D

Martin

I think I echo most of the other comments on here.

It's definitely a good shot for a first post, and your processing seems to have done the shot justice.
I would have said it looked a little skewiff too (I think Roberts rotation looks just right).

But I'll go against the concensus and say I like the border, but I do think it would benefit from being a little bit thinner.

Hope this helps :)

I think I echo most of the other comments on here.

It's definitely a good shot for a first post, and your processing seems to have done the shot justice.
I would have said it looked a little skewiff too (I think Roberts rotation looks just right).

But I'll go against the concensus and say I like the border, but I do think it would benefit from being a little bit thinner.

Hope this helps :)

Marcel, thanks for the comments. (and thanks for liking the border:D )

Agree, it looks better rotated slightly though.

I'll keep trying and posting my new shots/idea's for your comments. It's the only way to learn.

Regards
Martin

Back