High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Some super shots still coming from these superzooms well done

^^^ I agree, great photos.

Cheers Alby. That Long-eared Owl, not quite sure why the pictures are showing so large when I copy them to here, I'm probably choosing too large a pixel selection and should choose a lower one. Anyway, I was trying to photograph a Sedge Warbler 'round a pond, and just caught some movement from something decent sized out of the corner of my eye. Turned 'round and a Long-eared Owl is staring at me, just as he is in that picture. Quick snap, gone, leave the bird in peace. He didn't shift though, 'just stared at me as I took the picture and was still there when I quickly departed.

That Long-eared Owl, not quite sure why the pictures are showing so large when I copy them to here, I'm probably choosing too large a pixel selection and should choose a lower one
When you link from Flickr choose the large 1024 x …. Size Paul.

Can anyone recommend a replacement battery for the rx 10

If it's anything like the Nikon P950, you can buy third party batteries or Nikon batteries from Amazon. Obviously the Nikon batteries are more expensive. I've never had a problem with the cheaper third party batteries in the camera but the charger connection is flimsy and easy to break when putting the lead into the charger. I've learned to not take the lead out of the charger once it's in.

I know that's not Sony specific but I'd imagine it's a similar situation.

Juvenile, male Kestrel from yesterday. There's no sun and so the colours aren't great, but it's saved by the pose of the bird and with all of his plumage on show, and I think that that while these cameras do much better in good light; it's not automatically the case that they should be written off as useless on a cloudy day.

Kestrel by Paul Young, on Flickr

Nice shot Paul! It may not be your thing but you could really make that pop with just a small amount of processing

It certainly is my thing, Mike. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to get those colours to stand out, particularly the contrast between his adult plumage growing through and the rest, and trying to brighten up the wings a bit. I didn't like anything I tried at all and so ended up back where I started with just adding a bit of contrast.

Any advice you have or what you would do, appreciated!

It certainly is my thing, Mike. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to get those colours to stand out, particularly the contrast between his adult plumage growing through and the rest, and trying to brighten up the wings a bit. I didn't like anything I tried at all and so ended up back where I started with just adding a bit of contrast.

Any advice you have or what you would do, appreciated!
Well I use Photoshop Elements and the 'dehaze' function is really handy for this kind of thing (as long as not overdone!) - it's personal preference of course but from what you've said I think you'd be happy with the results :)

(you've got 'Edit my Images' set to No but I'd be happy to give it a go if you want)

Well I use Photoshop Elements and the 'dehaze' function is really handy for this kind of thing (as long as not overdone!) - it's personal preference of course but from what you've said I think you'd be happy with the results :)

(you've got 'Edit my Images' set to No but I'd be happy to give it a go if you want)

I've just changed my profile to edit pictures, feel free to give it a go!

Literally a 2 minute job in PS Elements - Enhance > Haze Removal (just used the auto setting but you can adjust to taste) - nothing too dramatic but just gives it a bit of pop

Cheers Mike, much better. Affinity has the same feature and I've tried it but I reckon in terms of colours it's just irretrievable. I tried all sorts the the other night and nothing could bring it back.

The interesting thing is, I took this picture of a Woodpecker in the woods. Even less light, I think the shutter speed is 1/60 which shows how much light was around. Yet, it worked out so much better. There's nothing different in the camera settings except the Kestrel is at a higher shutter speed. Neither are taken from a hide, both are handheld, there's more light with the Kestrel but I'm closer to the Woodpecker. Any idea in terms of why the Woodpecker turned out so much better in terms of colours?

Great Spotted Woodpecker by Paul Young, on Flickr

Hmm - interesting! The GSW is spot on right enough, really punchy colours and a great shot. I wonder if the haziness in some of the other shots is actually haze in the air due to heat differential or similar? Not sure of the circumstances of each shot but it’s possible I guess. Maybe somebody clever will help us out here?! :)

Edited to add - if the longer focal length shots tend to be the hazy ones then maybe that adds weight to the theory?

Last edited:
Hmm - interesting! The GSW is spot on right enough, really punchy colours and a great shot. I wonder if the haziness in some of the other shots is actually haze in the air due to heat differential or similar? Not sure of the circumstances of each shot but it’s possible I guess. Maybe somebody clever will help us out here?! :)

Edited to add - if the longer focal length shots tend to be the hazy ones then maybe that adds weight to the theory?

God knows! I tentatively put it down to background and as a result contrast in the picture. Behind the Woodpecker, it's darker than it looks. You could well be right. Either that, or I'm just not adjusting for the conditions in the camera settings. Probably the latter!

I've had another go, Mike, using a few tools. 'Best I can come up with.

'Feel like I've done too much editing to the picture, 'not sure how much of that is that I have an how much is that I know what the original picture was/looked like.

Juvenile Male Kestrel by Paul Young, on Flickr

I reckon I've over done the levels in the above, final one so as to not clog up the thread with editing. I've gone for a combination of your haze removal tool, levels and a couple of other bits. I didn't know the haze tool existed so that's a new one for me. Thanks for your help with that.

I reckon I've over done the levels in the above, final one so as to not clog up the thread with editing. I've gone for a combination of your haze removal tool, levels and a couple of other bits. I didn't know the haze tool existed so that's a new one for me. Thanks for your help with that.

Well done - a nicely judged edit I would say.

To be honest whatever is causing the slight haze should be easily enough fixed if you've a mind to - the basic shots are great which is the main thing! :)

To be honest whatever is causing the slight haze should be easily enough fixed if you've a mind to - the basic shots are great which is the main thing! :)

Good advice, Mike. I've sort of stagnated for a while now, mainly due to work getting in the way, but I have more spare time these days so it's time to start learning again: camera, photo editing and so on.

One thing is for certain, it will be me who's causing that haze by not trying to get the best out of the camera! I'll sort it out.

I think it is pretty amazing what you can get out of the tiny sensor with that Nikon Paul. All that extra reach must be useful too.

I think it is pretty amazing what you can get out of the tiny sensor with that Nikon Paul. All that extra reach must be useful too.

Cheers, Alby.

I started off with the Panasonic FZ300 and it has a noticeably better lens than the Nikon P950, I think the Leica lens is well respected. To get to your point, the issue was reach, with that camera I was more often than not out of range; when I did get in range, it produced some really nice pictures that were sharper than that of the P950. So, aye, that 357mm reach does you give you more of a chance. As Mike suggested in another post though, the sharpness is reduced at full zoom.

Wren - taken with the RX10iv :)

Wren by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Nice, Mike, and very tricky to photograph.

I had a spell a while back when everywhere I went I was side tracked by them and spent ages trying to photograph them and got absolutely nowhere near a decent picture.

'Gave up, and then one day one landed on a stick on a sunny day out of nowhere, stayed there singing, and I got my picture. 'Never tried to photograph them again, quit while I'm ahead!

Great bird.

Nice, Mike, and very tricky to photograph.

I had a spell a while back when everywhere I went I was side tracked by them and spent ages trying to photograph them and got absolutely nowhere near a decent picture.

'Gave up, and then one day one landed on a stick on a sunny day out of nowhere, stayed there singing, and I got my picture. 'Never tried to photograph them again, quit while I'm ahead!

Great bird.
Thanks - yes lots of failures as I'm sure you could imagine so happy to get a half decent shot :)

Back