High quality automated compacts

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
When my wife and I bought an SLR last year, it was with the intention that we would both learn how to get the most out of it together. In reality, I've really caught the bug and like to fiddle around with manual modes, filters, bracketing etc. but she is much happier using auto modes and using it as a point and shoot. To this end, she actually finds the SLR quite annoying as it's bulky and requires constant lens changes. All she really wants to do is spot a picture, point a camera at it and capture it. She's actually got a much better eye for the quirkier shots than I have and gets some excellent results.

Anyhow, her 30th is approaching and as well as something slightly more meaningful I think that both of us would lead a more blissful life if she had a really nice quality compact that had a range of shoot modes to suit conditions but essentially does it all for you.

Top priorities would be:

Compact dimensions (truly pocketable)
Very nice IQ
Ideally decent low light performance but maybe not a deal breaker
Reasonable zoom range and good macro performance
Built in flash
Sturdy enough to withstand a slightly clumsy operator (I'll say no more!)

I don't have an idea of a fixed budget, what I've looked at so far are mainly in the £300 area.

Shortlist is:

Panasonic LX5 - seems to get decent reviews
Canon S95 - Same as above but maybe more compact (probably the favourite at this stage)
Leica DLux5 - I love the idea of getting her a leica as it is the sort of extravagant thing that would be very hard to justify buying for yourself but would make a nice gift. Trouble is it's still very hard to justify the near-double price over the similar panasonic.

I'm sure there must be plenty of other cameras that I should be looking at so suggestions are most welcome. Already ruled out the Sony Nex's and Panasonic GF's on the account of 'lens management'.

If you want pocketable then it's an easy choice. The S95.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Leica, it's just a Panny underneath with a nice badge and different firmware.

All 3 of the choices you have made are excellent. You are right about the Leica but I would still like one. So between the LX5 and S95......hmmmm too close to call but the S95 is very pocketable but does feel like a simple P&S (Although it is a very capable camera) and the LX5 does feel a bit more serious. I have had a S95 and it was a brilliant camera. If I had to choose I would give the LX5 a go because 1: I have never had one before and 2: Minimum focal length is 24mm which is my favoured focal length.

Both are great but only the S95 is truly pocketable.

Last edited:
What you mean is, I'm fed up with her using my camera and messing with it ;) And I don't blame you. Outrageous behaviour.

Add the new Olympus XZ-1 to that list, and also the Canon G12 - in terms of overall dimensions, it's actually no less pocketable than say the LX-5. XZ-1 review here, all the others on DPReview too http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

G12 was top of my walkabout camera list, until the Fuji X100 appeared. Similar kind of idea, and much better in some ways, less versatile in others, and a lot more money. But over and above, just a gorgeous lovely gorgeous camera. And it goes in a jacket pocket no problem.

She'd love that. And you could borrow it :D

Last edited:
D-Lux is a Panasonic, true, but a very nice Panasonic with subtle firmware differences. Rumours say it may also have a better lens, but that may not be true.
LX5 is a lovely camera too and although a little bigger and squarer than the S95, is perfectly pocketable.
Do women actually have pockets?
Allan

Women don't care about trouser pocketability...They just drop everything in their handbags..So ask her what is a tolerable size for her (or is it gonna be a surprise??)

She'll need a new handbag. Obviously. And shoes :eek:

hahaaa the knock-on effect of giving a gift to a woman: you have to get matching all sorts of things! :p

Let's hope the husband is nicely coordinated, or he might have to go too.

What you mean is, I'm fed up with her using my camera and messing with it ;) And I don't blame you. Outrageous behaviour.

:LOL: Busted!

There is an element of this, but it doesn't work well for her either. She loves taking pictures and indeed takes some great ones but she gets frustrated when she picks the camera up and it's got some weird lens on and is in manual mode, RAW only and some custom white balance is set. I think we would both be happier if she had a camera that suited her needs and I had one for mine.

Cheers for the tip on the Olympus. That certainly looks worthy of further investigation.

On the Leica thing. I realise it's essentially a Panasonic in a posh frock. If I were buying for myself, I would buy the panny over the Leica. But its a bit like the Audi TT and the a VW Golf. They may essentially be the same car but one is sensible and one is desirable (you can debate which is which ;) ). That's the case for the Leica then, its a frivolous trinket and in some way that make it a nicer gift. It's a LOT of money though.

Pocketability is important as that is exactly where it will go if we're ever hill walking etc... The rest of the time it would be lost in a simply vast cavernous handbag.

So far the Canon is probably still looking favourite....

To the rest of you cheeky gits, bugger off! ;)

Bit bigger, but the fuji hs10/hs20 is worth a look. More of a small dslr, but with a large zoom to help her get the shots she wants (and is used to getting with the right lens on) but without changing lenses and playing with settings if she doesn't want to. Also does video and has a clever panoramic mode, for taking those top of hill shots.

Back