Hints & Tips for my new Sigma 10-20mm

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just taken delivery of a new Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and would appreciate any hints and tips to get the best out of it. Thanks

Attach to body.

Remove lens cap.

PLAY!

I'm looking into getting this lens too, I can't wait to play with an ultra wide angle! The only thing I can think of is to watch out for flare, which can be a problem with these lenses, and have a play with a circular polariser, you get some strange effects but you might be able to work them to your advantage!

Attach to body.

Remove lens cap.

PLAY!

I'm looking into getting this lens too, I can't wait to play with an ultra wide angle! The only thing I can think of is to watch out for flare, which can be a problem with these lenses, and have a play with a circular polariser, you get some strange effects but you might be able to work them to your advantage!

I've done the first two, I just need to get a chance to play with it!

When I hired the Canon 10-22 for a play, I found that a lot of my pictures looked boring, and flat.
My technique is bad though, I tend to shoot from shoulder height, I think that these UWA lenses really benefit from getting close to the ground, and having a nice close foreground subject.

A lot of ultra wide lenses do not have the threads for a filter as it would appear in the frame. Does the 10-20 have a filter thread?

Hopefully I will have a Sigma 20mm on my FF on Friday morning :)

Yes ,77 mm,IIRC.

Oops 82mm according to WEX.

The sigma 10-20mm is definitely a 77mm filter size.

As said before get low down for shots and make sure there is close foreground interest.

When using a 10-20, don't walk anywhere near the edge of a cliff whilst holding the camera to your eye. You WILL walk off :D

It can focus very close too - so you can get some good shots of buildings etc with things like flowers etc large in the frame in the foreground, if that makes sense. (obviously many many other uses for being able to focus on something almost touching the glass).

Example:

2871759285_27c8f6f9f2.jpg

Experiment too. Up close and personal works a lot too. Careful with people's faces at the extremes though.

I was thinking of selling mine, but after seeing these shots i'm gonna keep it a while longer

I have a Sigma 20mm f1.8 due tomorrow morning for use on my F80 and D700 ......... Looking forwards to some wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide shots over the weekend.

Back