HMS Ark Royal - Final Homecoming

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
HMS Ark Royal sailed into a foggy Portsmouth Harbour this morning for the last time as a commissioned ship of the Royal Navy. Apologies for the quality as it was extremely foggy.

IMG_3438_edited-2.jpg

I caught a bit of it on the BBC, with the mist and fog I was hoping there would be someone to capture something of the spirit of The Fighting Temeraire.

It's the fog that really makes the image, great shot Lee.

Almost like a ghost ship emerging from the abyss, which it will be soon :crying:

Nice shot, and unfortunately very fitting!

Indeed a very fitting image. This Gov’t wont be happy until the whole of our armed services are nothing more than a dim and distant image.

saw this on the news tonite, very fitting that the day was a grim one.

nice moody shot - suits the circumstances, thanks for posting it.

We're going to look darn silly if we need it in the next 10 years. A bit like car insurance, a lot of the time you don't need it, but you try and drive without it and see what the Official position is, perhaps they should follow the same principle.

We're going to look darn silly if we need it in the next 10 years. A bit like car insurance, a lot of the time you don't need it, but you try and drive without it and see what the Official position is, perhaps they should follow the same principle.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The overall strategy seems to be to retain the equipment nobody in their right minds would buy we don't need as an insurance whilst ditching anything we might be able to sell anything not allwing us to throw large amounts of money to our political supporters in the arms industry part of current strategic planning.

Nice shot Lee (the fog makes it) but what a sad sight.

She's the fifth ship to bear the name.

• Ark Royal 1 - 1587
  • Ark Royal 2 - 1913
  • Ark Royal 3 - 1937 (disabled the German battleship Bismarck in 1941 and was herself sunk later that year)
  • Ark Royal 4 - 1955
  • Ark Royal 5 - 1981

My mate works(ed?) on her, maintaining the Harries so he's rather gutted as there's little question of him being cut.

Thank you for the comments. The ships Tannoy was blasting out 'we are sailing' as she glided past. The Ships crew will be marching through Portsmouth city centre in January in a special goodbye ceremony. I'll try to get some shots of that.

Back