Holiday trip - take 1 or 2 of these lenses?

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm going sailing in Greece on saturday night, taking my 400D and not sure whether I will use one or 2 lenses.
I can't really see myself changing lenses, but not sure if the 50mm will be useful on its own?

it's between, both or either of these:
50mm 1.8
18-55mm

any opinions?

Cheers,
Luke

Definitely take the 18-55mm, the 50/1.8 would be good for evening photos but you'll have loads of light so shooting f/8 the quality of the 18-55 should be fine.

Personally i'd take the 50 as well, it small, light and you bought it to use it.

Take 'em both. The 18-55 for walk-about stuff and the nifty fifty for the extra bokeh and evening & night shots. Nifty fifty is so small and light you'll barely notice yourself carrying.

Agree with both posts above if you leave one at home you will regrett it all the time your away as thats the lens you will want .Have a great time
Bob

the nifty will probably float as well :LOL:

i find the 18-55 more than capable .. however , the nifty 50 will surprise u with some crispy night shots and it ll make u proud

Hi Luke
I've got to agree with everyone - take both!!

Have a fab holiday.

Wicked thanks for your comments!
I'm all packed and ready to go with both lenses in my DIY camera bag, basically home made padding and reinforcement in a nice looking acid blue skateboard bag :p

Cheers!
Luke.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I took 650 photos on one battery charge on my 400D. including some 30 second exposures at night!

About 150 really good photos that I'm proud of :)
Just wish I had taken my 100-300mm zoom lens as well, was always quite far away from land on the boat -_- didn't think about that! Could have got such a good photo of the dolphins next to the boat :p

Luke.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I took 650 photos on one battery charge on my 400D. including some 30 second exposures at night!

About 150 really good photos that I'm proud of :)
Just wish I had taken my 100-300mm zoom lens as well, was always quite far away from land on the boat -_- didn't think about that! Could have got such a good photo of the dolphins next to the boat :p

Luke.

Was it a good holiday? I'm going sailing around the Greek islands in about a month:)

Was it a good holiday? I'm going sailing around the Greek islands in about a month:)

Yeh brilliant, The weather was a little shaky but very very hot most of it, by the time you go itll be around 35 degrees I think. I recommend hiring some quid bikes or mopeds and driving up the mountain roads to the tops, really cool roads and stunning views. Saw lots of dolphins too :)

What company are you sailing with or are you going bare boat?
We used sunny sailing, a dutch company and my gf's dad said they were easily the best flotilla out of all his 20 years sailing.

Luke.

Yeh brilliant, The weather was a little shaky but very very hot most of it, by the time you go itll be around 35 degrees I think. I recommend hiring some quid bikes or mopeds and driving up the mountain roads to the tops, really cool roads and stunning views. Saw lots of dolphins too :)

What company are you sailing with or are you going bare boat?
We used sunny sailing, a dutch company and my gf's dad said they were easily the best flotilla out of all his 20 years sailing.

Luke.

I'm going with a company called 'Sailing Holidays LTD':)

I'm going with a company called 'Sailing Holidays LTD':)

Ah yeh sailing holidays :) They're the biggest company there :p
Good things about sunny sailing is they clean the boats at the end, they seem better than sailing holidays, and the boats are slightly better.

But my gf and her family has been with sailing holiday about 10 times and loved every one :)

Have a good trip!
Luke.

Ah yeh sailing holidays :) They're the biggest company there :p
Good things about sunny sailing is they clean the boats at the end, they seem better than sailing holidays, and the boats are slightly better.

But my gf and her family has been with sailing holiday about 10 times and loved every one :)

Have a good trip!
Luke.

Thanks, are you going to post any of your photos on the forum?

MG_1907 & MG_1816 are my favourite's:)

Cheers, 1907 is one of my favs, I remember taking 1816 and thinking about the balance of the image, using the boat and small land on the right vs bigger land on the left :)
There is another page, not sure if you know that :) Hope your lucky enough to see dolphins! :)

I'm going again in 3 weeks sailing my own boat!
Trying to track down a 60d to upgrade to from my 400d.
Also got a new camera backpack and lenses.

This time I'm taking my 18-250mm Tamron, and 50mm 1.8 Canon lenses :)

Back