Holidays 2016

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Time to think about next year's trips if you haven't already started to do so. Will the current fear of terrorist attacks change your plans?

As for me I'm planning a trip to Madrid in May for a visit to Las Ventas, a short break in Rome, a couple of weeks in Alicante for Las Hogueras in June and something long haul in the autumn.

We don't venture out of the UK anymore, lots of nice places to visit here at home, the main reason we stay in the UK is, my missus was stranded in the USA for 2 weeks after 9/11 and she was lucky to get the first flight allowed back to Newcastle airport on board an old (probably) vintage Monarch airlines aircraft, so old it had mildew on the windows and it rattled all the way back.....so yes the terror threat has stopped us leaving the UK.

I don't do holidays. Sons go on holiday with mates or girlfriends, wife goes away with her parents. I look after the cat. Works for me. :)

The chances of an attack are much the same where ever you choose to go or even if you stay in the UK.
stastically it is insignificant compared to having a fatal or serious accident.
At my age travel insurance is unobtainable so here I will stay.

Yes plans have changed, not that keen on anywhere in he med. will go further afield.

Flights and rooms booked for june and august/september in Crete.

I'm all set for a trip to Australia over Christmas and into the new year with stop overs in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Dubai

I'm not changing my plans and I'm not worried about any terrorist acts

I'm not so sure that the fear of terrorism will change my plans but I think there was something in the news recently about Egypt air and shoddy maintenance and that could put me off flying with them or with anyone else who is shown to be falling down on maintenance.

Holidaying in UK in early 2016 and later we were planning to go to Singapore but SWMBO has since said that we're probably going to Thailand. Will not be going to the south of Thailand where there's trouble with Islamic extremists.

SWMBO is off to Oz at Easter. (4 hrs max for me on planes these days)
East coast of yaaawkshur/Brid. mid Summer.
Hopefully Greece/Cyprus Sept.

The potential for attacks is absolutely anywhere these days & I wouldn't cancel a holiday because of it (unless I was told to of course) but there are places I wouldn't consider as first choices these days.

Always been UK always will be UK. Been to Ireland ( south ) twice this year, plus 2 to Scotland 2 to Wales and 2 to England another one to Scotland next month and that will do for this year.

Not planned any for 2016 yet, but can always hitch up the caravan and go.

Trevor

Always been UK always will be UK. Been to Ireland ( south ) twice this year, plus 2 to Scotland 2 to Wales and 2 to England another one to Scotland next month and that will do for this year.

Not planned any for 2016 yet, but can always hitch up the caravan and go.

Trevor

Pretty sure that Ireland (south) isn't UK...

Pretty sure that Ireland (south) isn't UK...

It dangles off the bottom of a bit of it.
Clearly we enough for government work! :LOL:

We usually go in January/February every year to Tenerife or Lanzarote as that time of year suits my work (self employed) better but we now have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and all the hassle of airports/flights/eating out etc seems like too much hassle so no where foreign for us next year.
We bought a touring caravan in August and have had a couple of weekends away at the end of the season to try it out and are planning about 10 weekends of 2/3/4 nights round various places in Northern/ Southern Ireland in it instead.
Hopefully the boys will come to appreciate the outdoors a bit over the next few years.

We usually go in January/February every year to Tenerife or Lanzarote as that time of year suits my work (self employed) better but we now have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and all the hassle of airports/flights/eating out etc seems like too much hassle so no where foreign for us next year.
We bought a touring caravan in August and have had a couple of weekends away at the end of the season to try it out and are planning about 10 weekends of 2/3/4 nights round various places in Northern/ Southern Ireland in it instead.
Hopefully the boys will come to appreciate the outdoors a bit over the next few years.

Love your style :)

One of the best holidays I ever had was in a caravan.

I've always fancied one or a camper van. They may be the butt of a few jokes, but not for me :D I'd love one.

One of the best holidays I ever had was in a caravan.

I've always fancied one or a camper van. They may be the butt of a few jokes, but not for me :D I'd love one.
No joke at all, I'm with you on that one. I want a camper van as well. This one :)

image.jpeg

Now thats camping!! wrong car though, I like the Weisman offering!

I always think of what else I could buy with the money. I have had several great holidays, e.g. Cuba, St.Lucia, Mauritious all 5* fully inclusive and fantastic. BUT I could have bought some great Nikon telephoto lenses which, I would still have, for the same money. If it was up to me I would stay in UK, however SWMBO ignores me and books them anyway.:rolleyes:

Just booked flights for a break in Madrid in May, and for my main holiday in June. 2 weeks in lovely Alicante!

We're off to Bosnia Herzegovina in May, where I'm scheduled to run a half marathon (knee issues are making running less likely right now - I'll be pleased to be able to walk OK). Probably late October early November we hope to return to India, probably on a self-planned trip starting at Amritsar and travelling by train.

As for Turkey, our son worked near Marmaris all last summer as a mountain bike guide, and saw no sign of either refugees or terrorists.

Rome at the end of April, just waiting for the B&B to get back to me with payment details so I can book and pay a deposit, then will book a flight.

I grew up having holidays in a caravan (CI Sprite, for those of a certain age), hence why I always stay in a hotel now!

Rome at the end of April, just waiting for the B&B to get back to me with payment details so I can book and pay a deposit, then will book a flight.

I grew up having holidays in a caravan (CI Sprite, for those of a certain age), hence why I always stay in a hotel now!

Blimey, we used to have a CI Sprite

I remember one holiday we had planned got cancelled because the wheels had seized on one side

No joke at all, I'm with you on that one. I want a camper van as well. This one :)

View attachment 50991

Me want! Can I have the garage empty though, please? I reckon Mrs Nod's would fit in there, or else an MX5 for the narrow roads it would probably get used on.

Crete (Chania side) booked for Sept. :cool:

Maybe see you there - we're doing Chania and Agia Galini in September (week in each).

these days it will be a hitch up the caravan and go depending on the weather forecast.,used to go to dorset ,west bay a lot but broadchurch filming etc has pushed the prices sky high . bridlington east yorks is another fave place but according to the news today after dads army stopped filming there its been taken over by the dogs army ,i.e swinging/dogging clubs taking over the place and i don't really need a dodgy volvo estate :banana: .so yet another re-think .

hmmm the volvo would have to have a tow-bar fitted though :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Maybe see you there - we're doing Chania and Agia Galini in September (week in each).

We're actually staying in Georgioupoli, so not that near to Chania, but if you have a car & fancy a drive (y) :beer:

We've been to Chania previously & last year stayed in Agios Nikolaos, but haven't yet visited the South side of the island. Just had a quick goggle @ Agia Galini & it looks lovely. :cool:

We're actually staying in Georgioupoli, so not that near to Chania, but if you have a car & fancy a drive (y) :beer:

We've been to Chania previously & last year stayed in Agios Nikolaos, but haven't yet visited the South side of the island. Just had a quick goggle @ Agia Galini & it looks lovely. :cool:

Have to admit that we're not that keen on Georgiopoi - the only place we've had a truly awful cup of coffee! Lovely beach and reasonably close to both Chania and Rethymnon. Only a short hop up to Kournas Lake, although its a hot walk! Pretty sure they run "little trains" up there from G. though. You might be lucky and see baby turtles hatching in/around the beach at G. We will have a car so might be able to meet up for a coffee (even over there, they're pretty hot on D&D [and I'm even hotter!]) somewhere. Will communicate nearer the time.

We avoid risky countries of course like Eygpt, Tunisia, Lybia, Iraq...oddly enough they were never countries we would go to anyhow.

This year its a mega trip to Greece for a 5 week island hopping holiday :)

I think Ireland is close enough to UK joined in part anyway.
First one this year is Scotland again then Wales begining of April. Still trying to make up my mind about the rest of the country, want to visit a few more RSPB resurves.

Trevor

Have to admit that we're not that keen on Georgiopoi - the only place we've had a truly awful cup of coffee! Lovely beach and reasonably close to both Chania and Rethymnon. Only a short hop up to Kournas Lake, although its a hot walk! Pretty sure they run "little trains" up there from G. though. You might be lucky and see baby turtles hatching in/around the beach at G. We will have a car so might be able to meet up for a coffee (even over there, they're pretty hot on D&D [and I'm even hotter!]) somewhere. Will communicate nearer the time.
Ah Kournas lake. Just as I was about to jump off the pedalo (with slide :)), I saw this big snake gliding passed on the water :eek:

I do like that part of the island.

We still haven't made up our minds. Are swaying towards Dutch Antilles.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that the snake would have been more scared of you than you were of it (and equally sure that I would have stayed on the pedalo!) :D

well i never ,just had all the kids and grandkids round for my birthday bash ,and it turns out they have all clubbed together for mine and the wifes birthdays this year and are treating us to a all inclusive holiday in zante in september ,should be fun 16 of us going .so the caravan will be relugated to short weekends if at all this year .better get on a diet now :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Back