Home Office / Desks / Editing set ups...

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
I really need to buy a desk and chair so I have somewhere properly to do my editing.

But, I'm not sure what I want. :LOL:

I think I'd love a proper old armchair rather than a crappy desk chair but that might not be most ideal :LOL: Does anyone use one?? Could I get a desk low enough??

If not wheres best to buy a decent chair from that doesn't cost the earth? (As in I don't want to spend £400 on a office chair) And if I'm spending £100+ on one I don't want it to break in month.

I'd love to see pictures of peoples set ups and the more creative / funky the better! :D

Was a thread in equipment recently? Can't remember if that was just computers though thinking about it

That was just computers from what I saw and mostly about how many and how big are my screens thread :LOL:

That was just computers from what I saw and mostly about how many and how big are my screens thread :LOL:

you sir are correct :D

for reference my chair is an argos jobby but i sat in an ikea markus the other weekend and i want one.. :D

updated the desk recently too so heres a pic.. replaced the alex cupboard with a customised ikea kitchen unit..

Fin. by neilgates, on Flickr

Rob

On the chair front , clearly if your going to be sitting for extended periods of time I would suggest a quality ergonomic chair.

Within reason, you can find some veritable bargains. Clearly, the armchair sounds great but workable, probably not. I managed to pick up a RH logic 400 chair of ebay relatively cheaply, these can retail for up to several hundred pounds. Perfect chair for those long editing sessions and infinitely adjustable to boot.

G

Rob,

I've got an old desk - traditional style drawers on right.

I've also got in the loft an old style typist chair and a chair with arms. Both have 5 star legs.

You are welcome to any of it, if it's any use to you.

Ken

I just did all mine, my old deco desk and office chair never were compatible, so all modern now.

The new set up, from Ikea, about £220 for desk, shelves & chair
BHqTE5tCIAEocUi.jpg

and with everything added

BHw9XFBCcAETjv_.jpg

apologies for lousy image quality, taken on my phone to show someone who couldn't believe I finally managed to throw out enough junk to get that end of dining room sorted ;)

Wow you all have very tidy desk, my one is a mess. Need a good tidy up, hopefully during the bank holiday weekend..

I really need to buy a desk and chair so I have somewhere properly to do my editing....

I've just been through the chair process. My office chair of 20 years finally gave up the ghost. It seems there are lots of nice looking sub £100 Chinese chairs online but they get mixed reviews especially when it comes to durability. So I went the office chair route.

I was lucky in that I got a new one of these for £75 off fleabay but it is easily the most comfortable office chair I've ever had and looks like it's built to last. There's lots of office equipment companies out there selling good condition used stuff and the quality of the commercial furniture seems a notch above a lot of the domestic stuff - maybe find one of those and try out 24 hour operators chairs?

we have some of the Expedit range from iKea, it is good value for money..

old pic but still my current desk, Hygena Retro range, does the job well.. I purchased a nice comfy chair but didn't like it so went back to my old one in the pic, had it for years..

540936_10151210460579013_28686850_n.jpg

First of all you need to measure across your bum, after all you don't want a chair too small to sit on. Next in the sitting position, measure the height with both feet comfortably on the floor, no good with knees bent too much or can't reach the floor

Again waist measurement is important, you need to sit a comfortable distance from the desk, after all a belly overhanging the work space isn't the ideal.
So much for the sitting/chair setup

Now onto the desk

desktop colour believe it or not can if the wrong colour give you blinding headaches, so best choose a natural colour, say a wood effect is something worth thinking about
Obviously the desktop size and shape needs consideration. If you suffer from having a large middle then possibly a desk with a recess may be the answer. A good point to watch out for is that the desktop is level, after all you don't wan't your mouse to slide off the end, something often overlooked. Desk legs should be the next point to look at, sexy desk legs detract from what you are using a computer for, so best to avoid and go for a nice straight leg, doesn't really matter if made of wood or metal, as long as it holds the top steady.

By now you should have a good idea of what to go for , but always willing to give further advise if wanted..(y)

Realspeed

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice people :)

Some nice looking desk spaces!

I'm really not one for sitting it properly with both feet on the floor etc...

I spent 8 years of a office life trying to get my desk chair as low as it would go and get space to put my feet up! :LOL:

I'll only be sat at it for a few hours at a time to do some editing for anything else I'll use the laptop on the sofa etc... :) So would rather spend those few hours in something of comfort that suits me! :D

Back