Home Printers

Edit My Images
No
what home printers do people use to print their photos, can u please tell us the brand, and two scores out of 10, one for photos the other for normal text documents. i.e.

Brand&Model: Canon Pixma mg6150
Photo: 9/10
Text: 6/10

I currently use an Epson RX650, had the RX560 before that, for both photo and text quality I would give it 10/10.

It uses 6 ink cartidges,has a scanner ,can print from camera cards MS Pro,SD,XD and CF.

I print to A4 and the quality is excellent.

John:)

Epson R2400. Excellent quality. Expensive ink.

im looking to get a kodak 3250 soon, fed up paying £50+ for ink cartridges for my epson rx585

Laser printer for general documents and a print lab (DSCL) for normal prints. Works out FAR cheaper (laser is WAAAAY cheaper than inkjet and doesn't dry out)...

Definitely laser for documents etc; and I'd outsource the photo printing. Home printing is expensive, and most printers only go up to A4, but there are a lot of people who prefer the satisfaction and control of doing it themselves.

I have the Canon PixmaPro 9000

Great printer, Photos 9/10, text 8/10

I come across the ink drying out problem, as due to my disorganised nature i dont print anything for a couple of months, then end up printing loads in one go...

Also the printer seems to "self-clean" a lot... More than ususal i'd say, this also wastes a lot of ink!

Epsom SX600FW scores:

Picture printing I would give it 8/10 near perfect, and documents and general printing 9/10, lightning fast document printer, new cartridges can be brought for around £40 for the set of 4 (black, blue, cyan and magenta), does everything and more for what I need

It has a Card reader built in, Scanner built in, can be used as a fax machine, and does a host of other things that I have not read yet in the maual

Last edited:
I use 2 - one for photos and one for text.

Printer: Canon Pixma iX 4000
Photos: 8/10
Text: N/A.

Printer Samsung ML-1665
Photos: N/A
Text: 9/10.

The photo printer would score higher if ink was cheaper but for quality of prints, I can't really fault it. I know that getting prints done by a lab would work out cheaper but then you may as well shoot film if you're going to wait for prints. AND, doing the prints yourself gives you control over the results - don't like the print - tweak and re-do it. Home printing also has a little of the magic that watching a B&W print appear in the tray used to have, without the headaches the fumes gave!

The document printer could possibly be scored a 10/10 - it doesn't really have any faults. I suppose a colour laser printer could be nice but I have the Canon for colour stuff and print very few colour documents apart from photographs.

Epson p50 with ebay inks. Cheap and good quality prints. Doesn't seem to dry up if left either

I've not printed anything off for about 4 months! Never see the need to, but when I do its a Canon Pixma IP 4600...and Tesco online when I have no ink!

I'd check the reviews on the new Kodak printers. One of my clients has one which i carefully set up for her. I found the colour printing below par compared to Epson, Canon and HP.

I use an Epson R800 for photographs and an old HP Deskjet for documents. Like some others, I find I don't print anything for several months, then have a period of printing loads. The R800 produces great results (after I got a dedicated colour profile), but the inks are expensive and with me not using it very often I'm starting to wonder if I need to move to online prints. But again, like some have mentioned above, I like to be able to control the print process and re-print if needed.

I've not printed for months and yesterday started to. I immediately had to replace two carts as the printed reported them empty. Yet if I shook them I could hear/feel there was ink remaining!

I'm debating whether to ditch it after I've used all my remaining ink and buy a laser printer for documents and print photos online. But I've invested a lot of money in the hardware (including a wireless print server) and I hate to ditch stuff that still works.

Last edited:
Epson R320 for photos using 3rd party inks. Quality is identical to DSCL and is reasonably quick.

Samsung CLP-315 for text and office graphics. It's ok, small and quiet but a little slow. The Brother Colour lasers are four times faster but have strange colour outputs.

Back