Home set up

So if I look at @Phil V list above, with the godox trigger I referenced is there anything else I will need (do you think)?
The only thing I'd add would be a background stand.

Last edited:
So if I look at @Phil V list above, with the godox trigger I referenced is there anything else I will need (do you think)?

Not a lighting person at all but I'd go with Phil's list as a starter pack then add to it as and when you discover you need/want something else.

And paper....
I've got blue, white, black and storm grey.
I use storm grey the most as it can be made to look grey and by moving it further away I can make it look black.
By using a couple of background lights I can even make it look white.

And paper....
I've got blue, white, black and storm grey.
I use storm grey the most as it can be made to look grey and by moving it further away I can make it look black.
By using a couple of background lights I can even make it look white.

Do I need other stands for the paper backing?

This is a great list thanks you
You could do an S bracket and softbox for your speedlight, and add a cheap brolly box instead of the octabox, which would give some versatility for using the speedlight instead of the mains flash.

Not quite the same quality, but offers ‘options’.

My suggestion was going to be a trigger for the speedlight, stand, clamp and box/brolly and go from there. The Strobist lighting 101 is a good place to start.

Right the time has come to actually do something about this now :)

I have all the items @Phil V suggested (or the updated ones) in my Amazon basket and it's coming to around £500.

I have however just seen this on the godox store: https://www.godox.co.uk/godox-gs200...ox-barndoor-kit-built-in-2-4ghz-x-system.html

Amazon basket looks like the attached pictures.

There is also a gentleman selling or trying to sell similar in the for sale thread for around £200 https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/products/pixapro-lumi-200-400ws-twin-kit-trigger-receiver

I thought the godox one looks okay (to my novice eyes) and would work with my current godox trigger and flash?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1000009573.png
    1000009573.png
    446.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1000009574.png
    1000009574.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1000009572.png
    1000009572.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Okay, assuming the classified set up is sold, would you go for the Godox set up I linked or a new pixapro as per the link?
I wouldn’t buy that Godox kit, loads of stuff included that you’ll never use, and misses out a ‘good’ easy up softbox.

I’d definitely look to build my own kit.

I wouldn’t buy that Godox kit, loads of stuff included that you’ll never use, and misses out a ‘good’ easy up softbox.

I’d definitely look to build my own kit.
He has built his own kit Phil, He has added these things to his basket.
Hence the reason I said I'd go for the godox head......

Yes, I kept all of Phil's original items recommended (some have changed / are new versions) and have added them to the basket.

I have added it all back into my basket now, with just the one light and it's £383.51

Last edited:
He has built his own kit Phil, He has added these things to his basket.
Hence the reason I said I'd go for the godox head......
Ah got it
All I’d say is don’t get those cheap stands, buy the Lencarta ones from Amazon. (About 34 each)
Though the cheap ones you found will be ok for backgrounds, reflectors etc.

Ah got it
All I’d say is don’t get those cheap stands, buy the Lencarta ones from Amazon. (About 34 each)
Though the cheap ones you found will be ok for backgrounds, reflectors etc.
I'd agree with @Phil V re getting a better stand for the studio light. I use some Lencarta stands and they're much sturdier than the cheap ones, although I do use cheap ones for background/reflectors etc

Last edited:
OK, hopefully you now have everything you need, although if you get bitten by the bug you may add more later.

But, equipment is very much just a starting point, and is always trumped by knowledge and experience - as a general rule, the more knowledge and experience you have, the less important to kit becomes.
I strongly advise you to practice, practice and then practice with just a single light before adding a second one, and before using any other bits of kit.

Back