Home Shoot with Sarah

Edit My Images
No
Just thought i'd share a few images from my shoot with Sarah last week. This was only her 6th shoot and she was great. All these images were taken in my living room with a Nikon D7000 and two cheap flashes; one fired into a silver brolly as the key light and a much smaller secondery brolly to fill in the shadows. Post processing in PhotoShop.

Thanks for looking

Calvin

9546375024_5556a78fd5_b.jpg

9546377902_85915b9d73_b.jpg

9546381264_3fecd62efd_b.jpg

9546379888_11caf5cc14_b.jpg

All great, loving the processing, crop and comp on the first...

Nice light, composition, posing and my real pet hate... nice hair, I loathe bad hair.. nothing screams amateur more than lack of attention to detail..nice work Calvj

Last edited:
A very good set.

It just shows that you don't need tons of expensive gear to take great photos : provided you know what you're doing!

A great set Calvin.

No.1 for me though, the B&W processing is very well executed. It has a very 1950's glam feel to it and perfect catchlights!

Very nice Calvin. I like the subtle lighting. It looks like you've added some blur which I don't think the the last two need. I love the energy in the last two and it's quite rare to find an amateur model who has that poise and confidence (she looks like she could be a dancer!) My only niggle would be the pockets sticking out from under her shorts....unless that's a current look! :)

It looks like you've added some blur which I don't think the the last two need. My only niggle would be the pockets sticking out from under her shorts....unless that's a current look! :)

You're spot on, there is a slight blur on the last two; just to bring out the highlights and shadows (overlay layer)

As for the fashion pockets; I've no idea lol

Thanks

Really like this set of images. Really love the first two, the letter two are also excellent.

Fantastic set Number #2 for me Love the use of DoF

This was a bit of an experiment for me. I wanted to draw attention to Sarah's eye so i increased the saturation in the eye and lips in isolation, then desaturated the whole image by 70%. The blur was applied manually in post.

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

No:1 is beautiful, the model the capture and the pp.

H

Way too much skin smoothing for my liking and the fake blur makes #2 look very cheap

#1 is the best of the bunch. Best pose, best lighting, best PP.

Like I said, No 2 was just an experiment and was never going to be to everyone's taste.

For me, No2 is done very well : it's just that some people aren't into that kind of thing but I'll bet some people love it.

Oh those eyes ! Shot one is SO natural (Even with all the make up). Thats what makes it the best of the lot. Afraid they get worse as you go on, too much make up and unnatural poses.

But those eyes........

Oh those eyes ! Shot one is SO natural (Even with all the make up). Thats what makes it the best of the lot. Afraid they get worse as you go on, too much make up and unnatural poses.

But those eyes........

Thanks for commenting.
Not sure what to say regarding the makeup; she's applied very little.

The posing is not an area I'm great in but we're both fairly inexperienced so that can only improve; although personally I think her poses are fine :)

Thanks

Way too much skin smoothing for my liking and the fake blur makes #2 look very cheap

#1 is the best of the bunch. Best pose, best lighting, best PP.

Fake blur is my bête noir, but on this occasion I have to say I don't mind it. Just goes to show, there are so few definites in life. I was drawn to #2 instantly, but #1 is the best photograph.

Last edited:
Fake blur is my bête noir, but on this occasion I have to say I don't mind it. Just goes to show, there are so few definites in life. I was drawn to #2 instantly, but #1 is the best photograph.

I don't usually like it myself, but I was happy with it in this instance. I think its good just to have a play and try things you may not have done before. There's no guarantee it will work or please everyone, but its all part of the learning :)

Thanks for the feedback.

No 1 Nice eye contact, and nice and sharp, but i think would have worked better if her hand was down to reveal her whole face.

No 2 not working for me at all, it looks too fake, sorry.

No3 too much blur, and not sure why, would have been much better without

No 4 pose is much better, but again unnecessary blur, i would like to see 3 and 4 without the blur :)

No 4 pose is much better, but again unnecessary blur, i would like to see 3 and 4 without the blur :)

I see a pattern emerging here lol.
I'll repost 3 and 4 when I get home from work.

Thanks for the input :)

Great set!.. #1 is gorgeous, very intense and she is gorgeous..

Poses look fine to me as does her make up, certainly doesn't look like she has loads on..

The blur is pretty intense but to be honest i kinda don't mind it here(y)

Further to this... I saw these on my phone yesterday, having had a proper look now they are even better then I first thought

Its a good point you raise there; everyone's screens show differences in tones and sharpness. So, when I'm editing and the skin smoothing looks spot on to me, could it look completely different and OTT to another viewer?

I like the colours and tones of #2 a lot. The blur might be a bit heavy but I don't mind it too much. A shot like #1 is fine but, to me at least, it isn't anything special (by which I mean I could take something pretty close). #2, or maybe a refined version of it, is something a bit different and stopped me from scrolling through.

A shot like #1 is fine but, to me at least, it isn't anything special (by which I mean I could take something pretty close).

Indeed, all TP users are at different levels, hence some love it and others, like yourself, its nothing special. The question is, and this is the key to photography success; what would make it special?

I'd agree with you on no 2, the more I look at it the more over done it looks. A toned down version does look better.

Cheers

Last edited:
Indeed, all TP users are at different levels, hence some love it and others, like yourself, its nothing special. The question is, and this is the key to photography success; what would make it special?

I'd agree with you on no 2, the more I look at it the more over done it looks. A toned down version does look better.

Cheers

I didn't express myself very well there. I wasn't trying to be negative about #1. Indeed I have just printed and framed a shot not a million miles away I took of my son. No reason not to be proud of it.

But I was trying to say that #2 has the potential to be something extra-special. The key elements are there - good model, great colours and the blur - it is just a question of getting the balance how you want.

Thanks for the feedback guys; good or bad, I appreciate you all taking the time to comment. :)

Love No. 1 matey, no. 2 is very good in its own right and although may not be to everyone's taste it gets a thumbs-up from me!

May I ask what lens was used for these?

Back