Home Studio

Name
Sarie
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking for setting up a small Home Studio, to use with friends and relatives. Do not know where to start, any ideas as what would be an ideal space, in addition what kind of equipment needed to setup a personal use studio, for portraits and some artistic pictures. Any other ideas for usage please share them.

You inputs are appreciated in advance.

I was in the same position and bought the kits from here:

www.stableimaging.co.uk

Everything you need to get started but the addition of a radio transmitter from flash in the pan has made it much more useable.

I've got the Lencarta SmartFlash twin head kit for £270. The quality is vastly better than my old Interfit. I've used my kit alongside more expensive Elinchrom D-lites and haven't noticed any real difference. The SmartFlash actually outperforms in a few catagories.

BTW, Garry who's Lencarta's tech advisor is also a member here on TP. A really nice guy!

Yes, do a search for Lencarta flash kits and you will find quite a few threads complimenting them.

Had the 2 head £250 kit for xmas myself, although due to sickness i've been unable to use it yet :(

As Gary asks, what space do you have available? Depending on what you want to do... headshots, 3/4, groups etc and if white background shots are required you may be surprised how much room you need, both between camera and victim/subject and subject and background and width to the walls and height to the ceiling.

White background? That's going to be old news and unwanted by the end of this year - next time the missus drags you around Debenhams, Next, M&S, GAP etc take a look at the advertising photos. Grey is the new white!

What size is the LARGEST space you can take advantage of?

I might be able to squeeze out a 4 X 5 meter space. I know it is not much, but better than nothing. Main aim portraits, macro shots and maybe some group shots.

White background? That's going to be old news and unwanted by the end of this year - next time the missus drags you around Debenhams, Next, M&S, GAP etc take a look at the advertising photos. Grey is the new white!

I wouldn't be so sure....but still you could be right. I think it's very important to try and develop your skills in lots of areas, and not solely on making a background bright white :D

Gary.

I might be able to squeeze out a 4 X 5 meter space. I know it is not much, but better than nothing. Main aim portraits, macro shots and maybe some group shots.

Seems plenty space, can't see a problem. Make sure you use the full 5 metre length, have your backdrop ATTACHED to the back wall meaning it's 5 metres away from the front of the studio. Your subjects if slab bang in the middle will be 2.5 metres away from your backdrop.

Gary.

Back