Critique Honest opinions only

Name
tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Where did I go wrong?
Shot taken just after sundown. Apparent golden hour
Apperture half open - f16, multiple Long exposures
Slight crop and a little dodging and burning.
What have I missed or not done right?
View attachment 25400

You're far too close to the boat for the focal length, and you should have metered light reflected off the hull rather than the horizon (though you could then have adjusted slightly in favour of the reflectance from the horizon).

Read the 20 minutes after the sun dips the horizon is the final 3rd of the "golden hour", library book, glad I did not buy it if it got that wrong.

Attempted off the hull. Blew out all of the highlights and looked like a daytime shot, even at 2 stops down. This was metered from the mid way out in channel.
Did not have much choice on time for shot, left work and drove straight to quay. The storm had just cleared and clouds had parted. Probably couldn't have been a more perfect scene.
Better luck next time I suppose.

I would agree with Tim, the boat hull appears to dominate the shot and blocks the good light on the skyline.

@tony- "...Did not have much choice on time for shot..." Quite so:( Ii's nice to have plenty of time, and a tripod...:grumpy:

Last edited:
To me it seems OOF and very noisy although it could just be my screen! what was the settings?
I can see what was intended though, but agree that you would have been better about 10ft back!

18mm, f16. Iso 200. Took 3 shots @ -2.5, -.5 & +1.5. I recall.

Last edited:
Will do over next day or two. On another system. Was shot in raw and jpeg, which you prefer? Assume raw will need converting to jpeg to upload?

Last edited:
the raw file is required NOT a one converted to jpeg
looks like you boosted quite a bit as no detail in shadows also looks like a streak between colours in the blue in the sky
also maybe a few meters back for compo as you have also cut the front of the boat off
just a few ideas

Does the file need to be jpeg to be uploaded or will raw work?
If has to be jpeg, will convert the raw image to a jpeg to upload.
Only boosted the boat, sky was pretty much untouched so as was.

Last edited:
Tony, I think your ISO should have been around 1600 plus,

Geoff
Why? If he is doing a long exposure just before sunset then i would be looking at keeping the iso down!!

To me it seems OOF and very noisy although it could just be my screen! what was the settings?
I can see what was intended though, but agree that you would have been better about 10ft back!

My thoughts too. I'm guessing that the darks have been recovered with software and they appear quite grainy and dull. An awkward shot to capture, perhaps would have been better with some flash?

Tony, well done for having a go!

My thoughts too. I'm guessing that the darks have been recovered with software and they appear quite grainy and dull. An awkward shot to capture, perhaps would have been better with some flash?

Tony, well done for having a go!
Agreed, this is how we learn

Give you an idea of location and subject. Not exactly the best specimen.
Grain is either patchy surface or dust on the sensor (recent trip to empty quarter uae). Did not adjust any dark areas other than rope and rusty strip on bow.
View attachment 25453

I just tried to have a play with your image in LR and something is not right? The pixels seem to be huge!! I can actually make out the squares. There seems to be no sharpness in the image and what ever I adjust seems to make it worse! I tried a B/W conversion which looks better but still makes it look like it was shot in the 1920's :thinking:

Back