Honley Show - Show Jumping

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I took a visit to a country show today & took along my camera to try my hand at Show Jumping photography I didn't really know what to do as I've only tried it once a few years ago :). Here's a selection of images. C&C ecouraged. Horsey shooters etc feel free to rip to bits!! :D. Kind regards Graham.

I think it is a superb set, sharp and well composed in many of the shots, no.5 is superb.

Thanks for taking time to view & comment Steve. Kind regards Graham.

well done. Im told that you need all the feet off the ground, and you have achieved that. Exposure spot on. Excellent in my book

Thank you for taking the time to view & comment guys. Kind regards Graham.

#1 and 2 shouldn't really be a part of the set, both show the combination failing
#3 is taken from totally the wrong angle, ladies don't normally care for you taking a shot of their arse ;)
#4 is pretty good, maybe framed a bit tight on the right but not bad
#5 is well timed,
#6 doesn't look like it's in focus? Timing's fractionally early but again not bad
#7 see #4

Overall not a bad set, apart from 1 and 2 :)

I echo what has been said above. Overall a good set, with a couple that I wouldnt have included either (1+2). Number 5 looks like something youd see in a Norman Thelwell Calendar, Fantastic :D

Thank you both for your insight,nice to hear from someone who shoots jumping etc. no pics of bums noted:),
I shot them for action & not for sales though tbh, ( there was a photo sales co in attendance for those). Kind regards Graham.

Agree with most of the comments but not the bum shot. It shows the horse really well with good definition I would expect that to sell better than a head on shot. These people spend thousands on the animal and that's what they want the pic of in my opinion.

From an events point of view john you're wrong bum shots are not the most popular type of shot that sells. Most people want to see their faces, plus bum shots can show bad position, dangly front legs etc even more than front on shots.

Would have to do the analysis of my sales to argue it but seem to move a fair few and a lot of the comments are horse awed more than the jockey

No 5 does it for me- shame about these shows the BG is always a little cluttered, maybe a fast lens like then 70-200mm f2.8 shot wide open would help to isolate the BG a little

Les ;)

Graham, i have never photographed horse jumping/ shows, but seeing the action and effort it takes to compete in these events makes me want to give it a try, as you have.

Your shots all seem to have the horse and rider well exposed. Angles could be better, but i appreciate you are probably limited to where you can stand.

I would just like to mention the crops (i don't think anyone else has, i could be wrong). I have read elsewhere that in action photos like these, there should be room left above the rider in your composition to sit upright. I can see from your crops in 3,4 and 7 that there is little or no room above the rider and think a bit more space would look more comfortable.

I have read elsewhere that in action photos like these, there should be room left above the rider in your composition to sit upright. I can see from your crops in 3,4 and 7 that there is little or no room above the rider and think a bit more space would look more comfortable.

Not entirely sure where you read that, but I would disagree with both of the above points.

Back