Hovers

Name
George
Edit My Images
No
All from my garden recently. A couple of spoons of sugar dissolved in some water and sprayed onto the blooms works wonders, the place was buzzing after about 30 mins.

IMG_3328-Edit.jpg

IMG_3432-Edit_flat-1.jpg

IMG_3511-Edit-1.jpg

IMG_3473-Edit-1.jpg

IMG_3562-Edit-Edit.jpg

Wow George a superb set of images #5 for me is first class, just out out of curiosity what kit are you using?

Those are stunning George, quite a few hovers on here these days but you've definitely pipped it with those backgrounds and sharpness. I'd also be very interested to find out what kit you were using for these!

Wow these are really great pictures. If I had taken them I'd have them printed and framed! Waiting to hear what lens you are using as well.

I love the trick about using a spray as well with sugar. Though lately these seem to be flocking to my garden. No good pictures myself yet, can't wait to get a macro lens though.

I'm amazed at how sharp they all are as well. And number 3 is really great considering it's flying, all I get are blurs or if I get it in focus the wings are none existent.

I love all the backgrounds as well they really make the hover fly stand out.

Awesome pictures!
Also interested to hear what kit and settings you used.

Thanks for the comments folks!

Canon 500D, Sigma 105mm macro lens plus Canon 25mm extension tube and lighting via a Marumi DRF14 ringflash. Hope this helps.

they are excellent, I hadnt heard of the sugared water trick, but I will be trying it now, what sort of saturation?

had to post twice, they really are fantastic

Thanks John, Sam, Kev and John

Sam: I use 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar disolved in a cup of water then poured into a sprayer but be warned, the sugar syrup attracts wasp too! If you want a coloured background then simply spray some colourful flowers with the syrup, have a cuppa then go back to it.

IMG_3533-Edit.jpg

Nice shot George,

I am just looking at starting macro and was unsure if a macro lens can also use extention tubes to improve the magnification....... which you seem to have mastered.

Thanks again

A superb set! Thanks, off to inspect the garden for a suitable site!

I really like #1, that's a lovely blue you've got to work with, I've taken many shots of hoverflies lately - even when you get the focus right - unless you've got a decent background it doesn't matter for much.

I'm going to give the sugar+water spray a go! I put the hose on fine mist to spray a hoverfly last night - it stayed still for ages washing itself, unfortunately the winds prevented me from getting a keeper :(

Thanks James, Dan

Dan, I haven't taken any shots myself for a few days now because of the wind, hope it settles down soon.

The blues are a lovely change and the different poses are impressive. I tried your sugar trick and it worked a treat.

Thanks Sarah, so pleased the sugar trick worked as well for you too.

Thanks when the weather improves and I can get out I will be trying it out - I love the idea of actually spraying the bug :)

Back