How Can I improve This Image?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken early this morning in a heavy dew, Im not sure if the light works on this image although I like the composition, how would you improve this shot?

Dew-Covered-Ladybird.jpg

Thanks Chaz, an interesting composition, I did have a go at removing the highlights but I was perhaps a little conservative. I don't know whats better in terms of composition up or down are there any Macro rules re this?, or is open to the photographers own likes.

I look at it this way we read left to right, also anything rising looks better then falling.
I don't know how you tried to remove the highlight but I like teh patch tool best, it keeps the repair more natural I think.

Not the way you do it my PP skills are fairly basic at the moment but I will have a go with the patch tool, thanks for the advice.

(y)

The stalk is just a bit too colourful and detracts from the ladybird. I desaturated and dropped the contrast a bit on the stalk with a freehand mask, then increased the saturation of the red part of the LB with another freehand mask.

Finally I just gave the whole pic a bit more contrast to get a good black and enhance the colour.

Dew-Covered-Ladybird-edit by tonky8203, on Flickr

Wow Jack that's great I really like the edit, sounds very complicated!

Wow Jack that's great I really like the edit, sounds very complicated!

It's not really - it's just a question of a bit of practise at drawing masks with the freehand mask tool. Once you have your mask drawn you can apply pretty well any filter or effect just within the mask, which makes it a very powerful editing tool.

The stalk is just a bit too colourful and detracts from the ladybird. I desaturated and dropped the contrast a bit on the stalk with a freehand mask, then increased the saturation of the red part of the LB with another freehand mask.

Finally I just gave the whole pic a bit more contrast to get a good black and enhance the colour.

Dew-Covered-Ladybird-edit by tonky8203, on Flickr

Just looked at the thread and looked at the first pics...immediately thought of just a bit of colour correction - particularly the twig. You done that so well done! Looks great.

I think its a good image and wouldn't mess much but bordem took over so here's my attempt

Dew-Covered-Ladybird-2.jpg

Thanks Neil, I feel like Im getting the hang of the photography side of Macro thanks for your help, now P&P, I think may be a tougher nut to crack!

I did not alter the colours as OP said it was early morning light which is much different then daylight. I left this up to the IP as only he seen what colours it was, I was not there to know.

Thanks for your help and advice Jack, Im going to have to work on my PPing.

(y)

some edits are better than others - what flash did you use for the original? I am guessing on camera, either pop up or on board?

Off cam or ring (expensive way) can often help to reduce the look of flash, as the lens and flash are then unaligned....

lady_bird1.jpg

My attempt

some edits are better than others - what flash did you use for the original? I am guessing on camera, either pop up or on board?

Off cam or ring (expensive way) can often help to reduce the look of flash, as the lens and flash are then unaligned....
Yeah onboard 430EXII, diffused but obviously not enough!

(y)

Thanks Neil, I feel like Im getting the hang of the photography side of Macro thanks for your help, now P&P, I think may be a tougher nut to crack!

Not a problem more than happy to help, and you've certainly showed improvement(y)

As to the PP I tend to now days do the edits, leave go do something else and then come back to them I've done far too many rushed ones in the past only to notice later on I should of done something else.

I tried to leave the rain in on the shot as that's what I figured the White on background was.

And as to the diffuser I've switched over to the coke can diffuser today and finding results better will have to check properly though.

Back