How do the pro's do it???

Name
Tobi
Edit My Images
Yes
This week it has been Cowes week which had some full on sailing races!!

As a fulltime skipper I take my camera to sea with all the time. At the end of the day I head home and edit my photo's on Photoshop.

One of the more well known races had Ewan Mcgegor and Zara Phillips racing and I got some great shots.

My question is....I shot in Raw so I put my photos onto my PC (once im off the boat) and us Photoshop 5 to edit them and save them as Jpeg files which can take sometime!!

As far as I understand the idea is to get photos to the press as quickly as possible? how do they do that? do they shot in RAW and edit and then send the photo's or do they just send RAW files? :bonk:

Please help:shrug:

Thanks guys for the quick response. The silly thing is I have Wifi on the boat and I could of got the photos off alot quicker if i had shoot in Jpeg.

Yes jpeg for speed to get them to the press, some shoot jpeg & raw to get the best of both worlds, but not many pros do this, or so I am told!:shrug:

So do photographers not do any editing before they send them off then?
Like previously said speed is of the essence, both during and after shooting. So a lot of photos are gonna need tweaking to some degree, is that the case?

I shoot RAW and convert to jpeg after editing in Lightroom - quick as a flash!! :)

Do the people giving you this advice actually do it - or have they just read it somewhere?? :thinking:

Last edited:
I shoot raw and convert to JPEG at home before making copies to get the pics over to the office. I do have the luxury of a bit more time than say, a sports tog.

Don't forget that the 1D series cameras used by the pro's shoot RAW and Jpeg on two different cards for that reason!!

Whilst I shoot jpeg for football and rugby when it is essential to get pictures sent extremely fast, shooting RAW doesn't make a whole lot of difference except maybe doubling import times (into Lightroom).

Once there, it's usually a crop and straighten, caption and it's away. The key is to get it as right as possible in camera initially and don't take too many pictures.

I wrote a post on my workflow here: http://slikimages.com/2010/04/techniques/using-adobe-lightroom-for-pitchside-image-workflow/

Last edited:
Jpg - for those who are afraid of RAW or who can nail the perfect shot first time every time. ;)

Is there any subject that you are not an expert in or know nothing about Daryl?

I used to shoot jpeg and raw, but used to send jpeg pictures to the desk, the server had something built into it that would auto correct images as soon as they hit the picture desk so we would just send without tweeking ourselves.

I shoot RAW and convert to jpeg after editing in Lightroom - quick as a flash!! :)

Do the people giving you this advice actually do it - or have they just read it somewhere?? :thinking:

Personally no I don't do it for a job, but then I did say that I said was based on what I read (y)

In the season I do for my own pleasure and some of the fans/players go round local rugby clubs and take photo's, and I would never use RAW for those photo's it would just take too much time to process them for me, I like to get it right in camera :naughty:

I also post them on your two most favourite websites :naughty:

***Please don't say I have been taking work/money from paid photographers in doing this because of all the matches I've covered including cup finals and charity matches neither a freelancer or staffer has deemed it fit to make an appearance at these matches***

and some of the matches there is a lot of interest consider over 3 days one set of photo's received over 10,000 views :D

Matt
MWHCVT

So do photographers not do any editing before they send them off then?
Like previously said speed is of the essence, both during and after shooting. So a lot of photos are gonna need tweaking to some degree, is that the case?

Nope - pro's generally get it right in camera so a lot shoot in jpeg for the smaller file size and from what I've read it's got yet another process to tag/keyword the images correctly before sending them off.

To the OP - I import into Lightroom taging and keywording on import, pick the best, amend keywords if needed (i.e. add subject name), then export in jpeg.

Raw takes time to import but I have that luxury shooting local sports. You could consider a wireless card in the camera, shooting wireless tethered to a laptop.

awp said:

Agreed. We shoot raw too. Nothing to do with not being able to get it right in camera, just because we can. And processing out of lightroom takes seconds.

Silver pixels said:
Don't forget that the 1D series cameras used by the pro's shoot RAW and Jpeg on two different cards for that reason!!

Not all pros shoot Canon!

Back