How do you do this type of shot?

It looks like water/glycerine droplets, on glass reflecting the well lit sweets behind.

I guess it may take two exposures to get the drops & reflection in focus (y)

Last edited:
Sheet of glass above the smarties, water droplets act as little lenses. You can get something like that from dew drops on spiderwebs.

Dew drop refraction ;-)

Took me a while to master it but I had some good results a few years back with a 100mm canon macro :)

Took me a while to even realise what it was. I'm not sure what you'd do with an image like this though.

I done this one a few months back.

I used a peice of glass about 10cm above a bowl of smarties, put small drops of clear oil(water just runs everywhere) on the glass. Used my 50mm with a very small depth of view.

Focus on the blobs and try and get a clear image of the sweets in the blobs of oil. Took the shot straight down, with light from one side.

Not that hard to do, if you can stop yourself from eating the smarties lol

Smarties 3 by Keith Haywood, on Flickr

I done this one a few months back.

I used a peice of glass about 10cm above a bowl of smarties, put small drops of clear oil(water just runs everywhere) on the glass. Used my 50mm with a very small depth of view.

Focus on the blobs and try and get a clear image of the sweets in the blobs of oil. Took the shot straight down, with light from one side.

Not that hard to do, if you can stop yourself from eating the smarties lol

Smarties 3 by Keith Haywood, on Flickr

You say in your post clear oil.

What sort of oil are we talking that is clear???

(y)

Spooky

I bought Practical Photography, May edition to read whilst on holiday and the same technique was described in there:

Select a table with good available light around it

Put white paper on a table and arrange whatever coloured objects on it, ie pencils/M&M's or smarties.

Clean a square piece of glass thouroughly and then treat it with rain repellent windscreen cleaner, something like rain-x, this makes the water form the droplets.

Suspend the glass above the coloured subjects, 4 pillars or however you find practical.

Dip a straw in a glass of water and hold your thumb over the end of the straw so water is held in the straw when taken out of water.

Place droplets of water on the glass making whatever design/pattern you wish.

Take the shot from directly above the glass

this is the basics, they went in to it in more detail in the magazine but you get the idea.

its the repellant that makes the water form the 'sphere's' on the glass

Hope this helps

Last edited:
There's a basic princliple/technique, but in truth whatever it takes gets the right result, is the only right technique.

[YOUTUBE]syLurNdWMB0[/YOUTUBE]

Back