How do you set up your custom function BBF

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
I have just started playing with the custom functions on my 70D and wonders what settings others use.

I have the AF-off set to focus and metering, the shutter to metering only and the DOF button to switch between one shot and servo AF.

I'm trying to get the feel of it at the moment but the DOF button isn't in a very good place for me, especially in portrait mode using the BG14 grip. Does anyone have theirs set up differently?

Cheers

I have one set on my 5d mk3 for street photography. All screens off, all beeps off, silent shutter, minimum 1/125th shutter speed and f7.1. I have another set for manual and flash use, f1/125 and f8

I used to have a 70D and the DoF button is both tiny and almost impossible to reach when you have a telephoto lens mounted.

On my 7D Mark II I have assigned the AE-LOCK button (alongside the AF-ON as BBF) to toggle between ONE SHOT and AI-SERVO. That way I can cover both buttons with my thumb if I need to toggle superfast (normal with wildlife). I wonder if you can also do this with the 70D.

I used to have a 70D and the DoF button is both tiny and almost impossible to reach when you have a telephoto lens mounted.

On my 7D Mark II I have assigned the AE-LOCK button (alongside the AF-ON as BBF) to toggle between ONE SHOT and AI-SERVO. That way I can cover both buttons with my thumb if I need to toggle superfast (normal with wildlife). I wonder if you can also do this with the 70D.
I wish you could. Looking at mine it would appear that the DOF button is the only one which can be assigned to the one shot and ai servo.

How about setting up the C1, C2 customisable modes so that you can have AI-SERVO + Tv-mode on one and say ONE SHOT + Av-mode on the other? Or just use C1 with a set of options.

When you are shooting in AI-SERVO you are more likely to want to primarily control the shutter speed and therefore use Tv-mode.

Rick, what are usually taking pictures of? Wildlife? Sport?

How about setting up the C1, C2 customisable modes so that you can have AI-SERVO + Tv-mode on one and say ONE SHOT + Av-mode on the other? Or just use C1 with a set of options.

When you are shooting in AI-SERVO you are more likely to want to primarily control the shutter speed and therefore use Tv-mode.

Rick, what are usually taking pictures of? Wildlife? Sport?

I take shots of all sorts but usually Motorsport or landscapes. I'm not sure how to customise the C1 /C2 options. I'll need to look tonight.

Thanks.

I take shots of all sorts but usually Motorsport or landscapes. I'm not sure how to customise the C1 /C2 options. I'll need to look tonight.

Thanks.

....You won't need AI-SERVO for landscapes but it's helpful in most cases for motorsport. You select your desired settings and save them for a C-mode. You still have the choice to change settings within the C-mode while shooting. You can include ISO and all sorts of settings in a C-mode [says he who also needs to do this!]. C-modes should be a time saver.

Ignore. Misread the original post

Last edited:
Back