How do you think this image was lit

Sorry Colin, i thought i had just linked to it :)

As you look at the picture, a softbox (or similar) behind and to the right of her, and either a second softbox (or similar) slightly in front and to the left and above her (or a reflector.......)
I reckon you could accomplish similar with one light and one reflector - "bang it off the wall" behind and to her right, reflector to the side, in front and high up...... (KISS - keep it simple!)

Last edited:
Softboxes behind, left and right, probably gridded. Third softbox on axis behind the photographer at low power with blue gel. Zoom in on eyes to see refletions.

Edit: and summat subtle on the background too, behind model. The vignette could have been added in post, though I'd guess it's a fourth light.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's i thought it was to softboxes behind the model, but it was the light behind her that i was thrown on, and also never thought of the blue gel ethier Richard :)

Yeah, two gridded strips at 1:30 and 10:30 probably with mild cto. I would have taken them further to 11 and 1 (and used a longer lens if necessary) to avoid light catching both sides of the nose, which I dislike. Or masked/used thinner strips.

CTB'd circular box above photographers head.

CTB'd background light for fade.

Freezing cold model for goose bumps.

Hmmm, could an alternative to the strip boxes and gels possibly be split toning blue to the shadows in PP?

Hmmm, could an alternative to the strip boxes and gels possibly be split toning blue to the shadows in PP?

You can do anything in post processing - if you have the skill and time to change every flippin pixel. Though in a case like that, it would be very difficult to do convincingly and far easier to do it properly in-camera with lighting.

If it was me, I'd prolly try and do something about the nose in post processing as Kris says, just to tone it down a little, and smooth out the forehead as well.

Back