How do you use Lightroom

Name
Carlo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I have read a lot about Lightroom and its uses and just looking at a trial version.

But looking at the options im not sure why i would use Lightroom over Photoshop to make changes.

So was just wondering how do you use lightroom and what are the benefits of using it.

thanks

none distrctive editing, easy to use user interface, excellent library tools there my mail reasons but then i just dont get on with photoshop :(

There's a good few threads about this subject on TP if you'd care to browse a little. But basically, Photoshop is a graphics tool used to manipulate and/or create images and it does it very well. Lightroom is a photographers tool intended to bring the best out of a photograph, effectively everything that was once done in the darkroom is now done in Lightroom. You can do more or less the same things in both but its generally simpler in Lightroom and you can batch edit. It's also cheaper. It depends what you want to do with your images. If you also wish to paste in a huge picture of the moon into your moonless shot, use Photoshop.If you want to simply enhance the shot you've taken, use Lightroom.

There's a good few threads about this subject on TP if you'd care to browse a little. But basically, Photoshop is a graphics tool used to manipulate and/or create images and it does it very well. Lightroom is a photographers tool intended to bring the best out of a photograph, effectively everything that was once done in the darkroom is now done in Lightroom. You can do more or less the same things in both but its generally simpler in Lightroom and you can batch edit. It's also cheaper. It depends what you want to do with your images. If you also wish to paste in a huge picture of the moon into your moonless shot, use Photoshop.If you want to simply enhance the shot you've taken, use Lightroom.

i think that answered my questions will have a further look into using this evening, thanks

Lightroom and Photoshop have similar features but in truth they are two very different programs designed by the same company.

Lightroom is photo-management software with editing capability and Photoshop is a more much in depth and advanced editing suite.

Both programs are designed to work 'back to back' similar to Bridge.

I must say that I love having both LR & PS.

LR for Photo-management, basic fixing (crop, straighten, exposure control), export to Web, photobook, photomatix within a simple and easy to use framework.

PS for more in-depth work on single pictures, montages, and other fancy stuff.

-H

I must say that I love having both LR & PS.

LR for Photo-management, basic fixing (crop, straighten, exposure control), export to Web, photobook, photomatix within a simple and easy to use framework.

PS for more in-depth work on single pictures, montages, and other fancy stuff.

-H

Yeah, that sums it up nicely. I have PS Elements for the in-depth work, but rarely use it.

I use Lightroom for cataloguing and selecting my images and photoshop for the polishing.

Lightroom can do the polishing, but I've never really had much luck with it - guess because I used photoshop before lightroom...

Hello

I have read a lot about Lightroom and its uses and just looking at a trial version.

But looking at the options im not sure why i would use Lightroom over Photoshop to make changes.

So was just wondering how do you use lightroom and what are the benefits of using it.

thanks

Photoshop is a graphics editor and LR is a photo management software - this should give you enough clues to what and how to use each of them. Could you easily wade through a bunch of photos, review, compare, catalogue, tag and develop them in PS? Not a chance - whilst Bridge might give you some of that it does not have a flexibility of LR.

I use LR to do what I can and apply as much of the development changes there as I can - for everything else if needed I finish the photo in PS and then back to LR for printing or exporting. The benefits - the amount of time to review and initially categorise and catalogue my photos are improved immensley - I now do hundreeds of them in the matter of hours not days.

Sorry for the hijack but how does LR differ from Bridge?

I found it to be a total pain in the ass
but there are a few for's and against tips HERE

I have tried,really tried to get on with LR,I keep failing miserably........:puke:

I use Lightroom for 99% of all my photography post processing. My workflow for sports photography, as well as everything else I do, goes something like this:

1) Import pictures - in the process, handle keywording, filing into date order on my hard drive, and applying metadata (name, copyright etc). This means photos are already keyworded to some extent as soon as they are imported. When shooting pitchside I'll often be tethered to my PC and Lightroom is running on auto-import, so pics appear immediately on my PC for fast tweaking and sending.
2) Filter out the rubbish - very quickly go through images and flag the ones that I dont want to keep using the excellent shift-X to reject or shift-P to pick/select. Use the shift key to automatically move to the next image.
3) Rank the good stuff - filter on the picked images and rank them with stars, using shift-1,2,3,4,5.
4) Do another trawl of everything ranked 1 or 2 and decide if I want to reject them.
5) Final selection - start editing. I'll crop, level, sharpen, add clarity, lighten faces (using adjustment brush etc), white balance etc. I do this in Develop mode. It's really fast and I can also apply the same edit (e.g. white balance) to multiple images at the same time.
6) Further edit with layers - I'll export to Photoshop for this if I ever need complex layering type edits which is fairly rare. The Photoshopped image then comes back into Lightroom alongside the original.
7) Keywording & captioning - back into Library mode - if it's a sports event I'll keyword the players in shot as you really must do this to remain sane when searching for that image of Danny Cipriani 6 months after the event. I can apply the same keyword to many shots very easily. If I'm sending pics I'll caption them as well.
8) Filing into a collection. I leave Lightroom to organise pics into folders by date on my hard disk and dont worry about where they are. I use collections to order pics within the Lightroom catalogue. For example I have a Sports collection, and within that I have Pro Rugby, and within that a collection per match. I'll put the photos into that specific collection. I also have collections for all my photography genres e.g. monochrome, portraits, landscapes etc, and know that I can have one photo in many collections at once.
9) Export to Smugmug/Flickr - I use Jeffrey Friedl's excellent Smugmug and Flickr export plugins to export direct to those sites.
10) Export with watermarks - I use the equally excellent Image Mogrify plugin to watermark my pics as part of the export process.
11) Create a PDF slideshow - if I'm doing an event/party I'll knock up a slideshow of the top 30 pics as a pdf and email it to the customer. Takes 5 mins and they love it.

All in all, Lightroom is superb. It enables me to process a whole set of 500 shots from a rugby match in an hour, and means I can zap pictures to a picture editor in real time from pitchside. It also catlogues everything for me and allows me to edit without wrecking my originals. It means you dont need to care if an image is a RAW or JPEG - just work with it.

Brilliant bit of kit.

Tobers

2) Filter out the rubbish - very quickly go through images and flag the ones that I dont want to keep using the excellent shift-X to reject or shift-P to pick/select. Use the shift key to automatically move to the next image.
Tobers

If you select Photo>Auto advance, you don't need the shift key. (in ver 2.4 anyway)

Worth it for adjustment brush alone :)

If you select Photo>Auto advance, you don't need the shift key. (in ver 2.4 anyway)

Thanks - that explains why it's started stepping forward since the upgrade from 2.2 :D

I use the two programs as different tools. I do the majority of my work in Lightroom, use it for it catalog features, and simple adjustments such as cropping, levels, saturation etc, which is brilliant for 95-99% of my stuff.

Anything more complicated such as cloning, desaturating etc gets a right click, edit in photoshop from within lightroom, then I use the edit with lightroom changes option so it creates a new version.

I was just wondering if i connected my camera to lightroom, and powered the both up would i be able to take the photo and see it live in lightroom?

thanks

I have tried,really tried to get on with LR,I keep failing miserably........:puke:

Me too :crying:

The last straw was finding v2.4 has a very obvious memory leak problem, which I found when trying to print contact sheets. After a few sheets, the pics came out as grey boxes with "out of memory" in them :( (Draft mode printing wouldn't work properly either, the odd pic wouldn't print on the contact sheet :wacky: )

When I found that Adobe Bridge lets you print contact sheets via a PDF file, and in a fraction of the time that Lightroom took, LR got uninstalled.. permanently :|

A.

I was just wondering if i connected my camera to lightroom, and powered the both up would i be able to take the photo and see it live in lightroom?

thanks

You can indeed mate, it's called 'shooting tethered'.

Are you a Canon or Nikon shooter?

Canon camera's have a software bundle that enables the link up to computer, you then have to set lightroom's preferences to accept incoming images.

Google for info (I'm on my way out, pants excuse but true :) )

With Nikon systems you either have to buy Camera Control Pro or use Mountain storms free software, this works for me but only on one of my camera bodies, it's still in it's experimental phases at the mo.

Hopes this helps some (y)

T.

well im on a sony, so i guess it doesnt work as with anything sony related

I don't know how else I'd manage my pictures, it's a great workflow tool...although I'm not convinced by it's library functions. I'd like to have more than one 'pick' level, but I guess ranking does that!

I'd like if I had a collection, to be able to stack subsets within a collection. For instance, I had 1600 RAWs from my holiday to Sri Lanka. There were spread over 10 or so folder, so I added all 1600 to a collection. I then wanted to create two sets of picks...one 'holiday snaps' for the g/f to stick up on facebook and show her family, and one set of good shots to share on here and on my photoblog. Still isn't immediately obvious how I'd do that!

I'd like if I had a collection, to be able to stack subsets within a collection. For instance, I had 1600 RAWs from my holiday to Sri Lanka. There were spread over 10 or so folder, so I added all 1600 to a collection. I then wanted to create two sets of picks...one 'holiday snaps' for the g/f to stick up on facebook and show her family, and one set of good shots to share on here and on my photoblog. Still isn't immediately obvious how I'd do that!

You can do exactly that. I think they are called "Collection Sets" which is a set of collections. Create a collection set, and then create collections within it. When you right click on the collections area it offers you to create a collection or a collection set. The naming is pants unfortunately, and very confusing. When you create a collection, you can elect which collection set to put it under.

well im on a sony, so i guess it doesnt work as with anything sony related

I'm not sure as I have no experience with Sony systems but rather than guessing there should be enough info there for you to find out.

I'm sure there's something out there for you. (y)

You can do exactly that. I think they are called "Collection Sets" which is a set of collections. Create a collection set, and then create collections within it. When you right click on the collections area it offers you to create a collection or a collection set. The naming is pants unfortunately, and very confusing. When you create a collection, you can elect which collection set to put it under.

Yup - just started using collections with V2, before that I relied on keywording.
Very powerful tool.

Bridge really is more of a management tool. It's kind of like Windows Explorer or OS X Finder. It's like the image management side of lightroom.

thanks

Just tried this with my sony camera and it doesnt live sync

just started using lightroom and i like the speed of editing, one question though is does lightroom keep the original image safe? or how do i save my edited photo?

thanks

Bridge is a full blown package and I think best for the job It works on your files you can preview them in many ways also You can output Web pages make Contact sheet the list goes on
Much easier to sort and find photos you want, you can sort on Lens, Camera even Fstop the list just goes on and on
LR makes a file for of the images in a different place then the photo them self to me it is not as simple to use or sort BUT this is just my view.

just started using lightroom and i like the speed of editing, one question though is does lightroom keep the original image safe? or how do i save my edited photo?

thanks
Yep, all Lightroom edits are totally non-destructive. It is easy to get back to the original image.

Contrary to the above post, Lightroom is totally intuitive to use, and how one can imply it is not easy to sort and find images is beyond me. Lightroom has to be the easiest photo cataloging system to use out there. Best have a look at the trial... I rarely use CS3 any more, 99.9% of my image processing is carried out in Lightroom. From import (with presets if required), selection, tagging with keywords on import if required, to processing automatically, and to my online gallery - all direct from lightroom. No ftp uloads required... everything is done in Lightroom.

Check it out.

Yep, all Lightroom edits are totally non-destructive. It is easy to get back to the original image.

Contrary to the above post, Lightroom is totally intuitive to use, and how one can imply it is not easy to sort and find images is beyond me. Lightroom has to be the easiest photo cataloging system to use out there. Best have a look at the trial... I rarely use CS3 any more, 99.9% of my image processing is carried out in Lightroom. From import (with presets if required), selection, tagging with keywords on import if required, to processing automatically, and to my online gallery - all direct from lightroom. No ftp uloads required... everything is done in Lightroom.

Check it out.

Totally agree with TheMusicMan.
Lightroom is so easy to use. And it is really easy to find photos using key words and Metadata.

thanks for that helpful response.

Any ideas how i save the edited image?

thanks

The image will stay edited in your library unless you tinker with it again and then that will be the new image. So............

When you have finished with your image and you want to KEEP in an edited state you must then export the file.

There are various ways to do this. Click the export button and have a play around. I have found with LR everybody does things differently so try and find what works for you.

I am going to enrol in a file management course (musicman are you for hire)

The image will stay edited in your library unless you tinker with it again and then that will be the new image. So............

When you have finished with your image and you want to KEEP in an edited state you must then export the file.

There are various ways to do this. Click the export button and have a play around. I have found with LR everybody does things differently so try and find what works for you.

I am going to enrol in a file management course (musicman are you for hire)
Tiler is spot on here. You need to create an export of the current state of the edited file. You accomplish this via exporting it to a tiff/jpg etc - but it is also a useful function of LR that it will allow you to reimport the exported edited image back into the Lightroom catalogue at the time of export. This way, you see it immediately within Lightroom adjacent to the original/edited raw file.

Hehe tiler!

Joking aside... I am doing a talk at the TP Convention later in the year, I can easily include a short session on LR anf file management within it if people think this would be useful. I'm sure there are many users on here far more qualified in LR than I though - but nonetheless I am more than willing to do this if required.

cheers i did use the export method but anted to make sure there wasnt a quikcker method

thanks

Joking aside... I am doing a talk at the TP Convention later in the year, I can easily include a short session on LR anf file management within it if people think this would be useful. I'm sure there are many users on here far more qualified in LR than I though - but nonetheless I am more than willing to do this if required.

Power to yer elbow as they say John.

I'm doing a bit of the same, working on a video tutorial 'From CF to Lightroom to Photoshop & Back'.

I don't feel particularly qualified either but I know a little and help out here and there.

Go for mate!

T.

Bridge is a full blown package and I think best for the job It works on your files you can preview them in many ways also You can output Web pages make Contact sheet the list goes on
Much easier to sort and find photos you want, you can sort on Lens, Camera even Fstop the list just goes on and on

Er, what, you mean exactly the same as you can in Lightroom?

Back