How do you?

Edit My Images
Yes
Sort your photo, lets say you have been out on a shoot today, any kind doesn't matter what, you get home, transfer all you photos onto pc/laptop what do you do next? Do you delete the one that you don't like? do you move the ones you do to a different folder?

I tend to transfer the photos then go through them all one by one deleting the ones i don't like, so i can do from 300 to 100 photos pretty quick.

I do however find it very hard to delete photos of my own kids, anyone else find this? it can be blurry as hell but i still keep it lol

Yeah, i tend to delete any blinkies or anything out of focus right away. If it's a family photo then I'll just keep it because it's the memory that counts, not the quality of the pic.

i always delete the ones that didnt turn out like i wanted then split into a main folder and then a folder for the less striking images for later editing.

I'm getting better at deleting shots. Though still struggle sometimes to delete shots of my son! :)

I import them all to lightroom and scoot through them rejecting the ones I don't want or don't like. Then crop and PP the rest then publish to flickr or wherever. It doesn't take me too long but I do sometimes struggle to delete some shots!

I do it all through Lightroom. I use that to transfer them from my card onto my HDD (into a folder named with what the photos are under the month and year). It then imports them. I create a collection of those shots, under a catagory of either Event, Landscape, Work, Personal or Other. I then go through and rate them. 1 being "fun", 2 being "bin", 3 being "ok", 4 being "good" and 5 "excellent". I then process all the 4s and 5s (nothing usually gets a 5 until I has been processed). I then look again and bump any 4s I really like up to 5. The 5s then get put on flickr, my blog and on here.

I only delete the 2 rated images and even then I dont do that too often...and these are only the shots that are completely out of focus or where I hit the shutter by mistake etc.

Have got Gigabytes of storage space, so keep all the RAWs and index through Lightroom. Only the obviously completely useless ones are deleted.

The OH recently scanned thousands of old prints - if all the indifferent or poor quality shots had been thrown away 20 years ago, a lot of memories would have been lost...

I have a folder with all my 2011 photos in.

Within that folder I have sub-folders for each day's shooting. Today's would be '2011-05-11 Random Snaps of Something'

Within that folder I will have sub-folders for 'RAW', 'Fully Processed JPG', 'Facebook' and 'Prints'

The memory cards will get downloaded in to the RAW folder and backed up on to an external drive.

I'll then go through all the RAW files and rate them either 1*, 3* or 5*. The 5* ones will be fully processed and saved as JPGs in the right folder. If don't think I have enough processed photos I'll then go through the 3* ones again to see what I may have missed.

Once they are all processed I'll resize for Facebook or my website and upload them there.

If I get any orders for prints then I'll maybe reprocess slightly and resize accordingly and save in the 'Prints' folder.

All photos are automatically backed up to an external drive daily.

As for deleting the not so good photos, I do sometimes but not always. I suppose I should really because there will be a lot of them taking up space on 2 hard drives.

I import via LR into a folder that relates to the photos (RAW) I've taken, for instance we had a family trip to Old Macdonald's Farm so the folder was called Old Macdonald's Farm ddmmyy.

LR then creates the subfolders 2011>dd-mm-yy.

I then auto adjust exposure and set noise reduction levels on all images. Next I go through the images individually.

Complete garbage gets deleted, the not quite as bad shots just get removed from the library. As I go through the selection process, I'll also crop/straighten and "tweak" WB and anything else that needs sorting.

Once that's completed I export into a subfolder called "resized" these are suitable for online viewing (max filesize 150kb, max long edge 800px and a small watermark), if the images were going to be used for anything/anyone else I would to a second export to an "edited" folder where I may limit the filesize to 5mb.

Been discussed a few times but I just chuck all of the RAW into a folder called WORK or PERSONAL with subfolders labelled with event/subject and date.

then let lightroom do the rest.

simples!

surprising how many keep most of there shots taken even if they aren't great, glad to know im not the only one who finds it hard to delete pics of my kids though lol

I import mine into lightroom also then do the following:
  • Do a first pass through the imported shots and reject any that are out of focus, unfixable, mistakes, the floor etc.
  • Do a 2nd pass and look at any similar shots and decide if I really need 5 shots of the same thing, usually not so pick "the best", reject the rest.
  • Delete all the rejects, If "hard discs are so cheap these days" someone else is welcome to buy me a new one. Also I don't really need a disc full of duff and duplicate images, it's a waste of space.
  • Keyword all the keepers.
  • Do my editing.
  • Pick some favourites and upload them to flickr, I try to keep the volume down and only upload the better shots.
Images for use get exported and treated as temporary and binned once no longer needed. If I need them later I can re-export with any up to date changes and there's no point using up disc space with multiple copies of images.

I don't really use collections though I have a couple for stuff like POTY and a couple of smart ones for images of the kids. It's probably something I need to start doing to help me find things as I am starting to struggle as the folder structure year/date mean I am reliant on my keywords not sucking.

Backups is a time machine backup done when it whinges I haven't done it for 10 days and monthly manual backups to an external elsewhere in the house. By no means fool proof but should help protect against disc failures if nothing else.

I'll copy everything off my camera into the selected folder for the days shooting ie '2011-05-11 EVENT', and also create a subfolder called 'Processed'

Import everything into Lightroom
Whizz through quickly and remove anything from Lightroom that is out of focus/blurred etc
Go through again and choose the best from any similar looking photos, and remove the ones that don't cut the mustard
Process what's left and export to my 'Processed' sub folder

At no point can I actually bring myself to delete anything!

I used to have real issue deleting any images. Now I have a fairly straight forward way of dealing with them.

1) I have a folder on my desktop called "Card Dump", and I download the card(s) to this.
2) I then view all the images in Adobe Bridge, deleting the unwanted ones.
3) Generate a new folder on my hard drive in which to keep the images, and a back up on my remote drive.
4) open LightRoom, import and generate an album.

From there I start my PP process.

Steve

I import mine into lightroom also then do the following:
  • Do a first pass through the imported shots and reject any that are out of focus, unfixable, mistakes, the floor etc.
  • Do a 2nd pass and look at any similar shots and decide if I really need 5 shots of the same thing, usually not so pick "the best", reject the rest.
  • Delete all the rejects, If "hard discs are so cheap these days" someone else is welcome to buy me a new one. Also I don't really need a disc full of duff and duplicate images, it's a waste of space.
  • Keyword all the keepers.
  • Do my editing.
  • Pick some favourites and upload them to flickr, I try to keep the volume down and only upload the better shots.
Images for use get exported and treated as temporary and binned once no longer needed. If I need them later I can re-export with any up to date changes and there's no point using up disc space with multiple copies of images.

Almost identical to this, except the last point. I have 3 export folders. Fullsize watermarked Jpgs, full size unwatermarked Jpgs and small unwatermarked Jpgs for a certain photo agency Im with who demand small jpgs.

All the RAW's automaticly get exported into YEAR>MONTH>DATE folders and stay there.
All backed up to 2 external drives, plus a NAS and a internal drive.

Last edited:
Import into Lightroom, copying a duplicate to the "Archive on my NAS"

Go through all image flagging or rejecting as needed, I'm quite harsh on the images so a lot get rejected and only a few get flagged. Any that need to leave Lightoom get 1 * so I can find them easily later.

Delete the rejects (if I really need to get them back they are on my Archive, which is also backed up off site).

I only process the picks.

When processed they are starred if they are good, and uploaded to various sites, if they are sold/published they get a green/yellow label depending on print/web or a blue label if I have posted them somewhere.

I have a smart collection that looks for images that are more than 12 months old, without a star rating or colour label - ie images that have not been used in the last year, every few months I go through these and either use them or delete them on the basis that I haven't used them in 12 months so there is no point in keeping them on my HD!

First job is download and back-up to external drives and dvd, then and only then do I start deleting or editing the images.

swanseamale47 said:
First job is download and back-up to external drives and dvd, then and only then do I start deleting or editing the images.

Agree. Ingest cards into lightroom with keywords added during import and make two external backups. Rename folder to date-clients name. Then go through the images rating p for pick and x for obvious deletes. Delete. Rejects and move picks to a subfolder called "picks'. Do basic corrections on all the images in the picks folder and export into subfolder as tiffs. Batch them all through photoshop with a couple of finishing moves saved to original tiffs and save a web size watermarked version of each in a subfolder called web. Upload the low res jpgs for client proofing and go back to tiffs for final retouching when they make their selections.

When job is done delete the non picks in original raw folder. Save this folder containing edits in subfolders, onto external backup drives, overwriting the original backups.

Phew its a lot of work :p

Back