How does a Nikon D2HS compare to D300 etc?

Name
Steve.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been offered an unused Nikon D2HS with a WT1 Transmitter from a Nikon Dealer with 12 months warranty at an attractive price and I wondered how it would stack up against more modern machinery like a D300. Also, is the comparativly low 4 million pixel count a big issue that compromises its picture quality? Is this worth buying or is the high ISO performance etc so much better on the newer machines? Thanks in advance for any replies I may receive.

From what I've been told the iq from the D2Hs is very good, maybe not quite up to the standard of newer cameras like the D300, but excellent nonetheless. The 4mp pixel count doesn't appear to hinder the production of large prints from it's files, in fact I'm quite tempted to get one myself at some point....

Surely upscaling from an FX body would be quite successful? If you neeed the extra resolution? I tried upscaling from my D40, it worked quite well lol

Ok :confused:

I had a D2h and I thought the image quality was outstanding.

I only sold it to get a D2x, but to be honest you can print to A3 with it and the file sizes are great - 4mb RAW files from memory.

The WT-1 works great with it too. Just make sure the WT-1 works with the D2hs, because I seem to remember that the firmware on teh WT-1 needed upgrading to support various cameras.

I have 2 D2Hs bodies - and I will not part with them - in spite of have a couple of D3 bosies as well. Outstanding quality pics and a great feel to the body - I didn't like the D300 at all. Results are great up to 1600 ISO - although 1250 seems to be the sweet spot. Prints up to A3 without a problem - half page pics in broadsheet newspapers look good too. Great fast AF and 8 fps. I have lots of pis taken with them if you want to see some. (May even be some on the forum already.) They are quite hard to find now - so I wouldn't hang about if I were you.

Expect to pay £700 - £800 for a new D2Hs - maybe £550 - £650 secondhand.

ive recently sold my d2h, although iso isnt anywhere near as good as the d2hs the picture quality is excellent, apparently the d2hs is even better in some areas (although the supposed areas that the d2h was meant to fail ive not really noticed). dealing with small raw files is fantastic and ive not had a problem printing from them. i didnt use my d2h as an 'action' camera at all so the fps was never an issue to me, however theres something about the sensor that makes for great photos.

good glass on it and it can print very large sizes. i printed this image (taken with d2h and 50mm f1.8) at a3 and it looked fantastic.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/3431298261_33e1be6bba.jpg

d2hs's are pretty hard to come by second hand, d2h's are about £300 and to be honest a complete bargain

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Much appreciated. I bought the D2HS today. What a beast. Built like a battleship. Amazing build quality. Will start learning how to use it tomorrow.

Back